riggler

crockpot venison

Rate this topic

7 posts in this topic

So my kid came home with a venison roast given to him by a fellow marine that was harvested from a hunt in pa. this fall. (Of course with no description) The freezer is overstocked at the moment and this came out to defrost yesterday and it is still a bit frozen. At the moment is scales at 3 lb 4 oz with the liquid. There is no visible bone in it and there is just a hint of marble fat in it if the pictures dont show it 

Sunday will be busy so Im thinking crockpot,... new at this so i could use some pointers

How would you cook it in the crockpot ? and what would you put in with it....I have done crock pot pot roast in the past and have had decent luck, but im thinking venison should be somehow treated differently....

roast a.jpg

roast b.jpg

On 1/9/2022 at 1:22 AM, riggler said:

So my kid came home with a venison roast given to him by a fellow marine that was harvested from a hunt in pa. this fall. (Of course with no description) The freezer is overstocked at the moment and this came out to defrost yesterday and it is still a bit frozen. At the moment is scales at 3 lb 4 oz with the liquid. There is no visible bone in it and there is just a hint of marble fat in it if the pictures dont show it 

Sunday will be busy so Im thinking crockpot,... new at this so i could use some pointers

How would you cook it in the crockpot ? and what would you put in with it....I have done crock pot pot roast in the past and have had decent luck, but im thinking venison should be somehow treated differently....

roast a.jpg

roast b.jpg

I do them often.   The night before, unwrap, dry, clean up any sinew if it was left on.  Salt the crap out of it. Really work it in, wrap in several layers of saran wrap and stash in the fridge.  In the a.m. get a big cast iron skillet heated up, add a neutral oil, canola or grapeseed and give it a good, coat the roast in flour and give it a hard sear on all sides. Remove the roast to the crock pot and add a couple of sliced onions to the skillet and saute those up.   Deglaze the skillet with a half a box of Unsalted Beef Stock, add to the crock add a bay leaf or two, lots of pepper, put the lid on a cook on low all day.   come home and you should be able to shred it up.  Service over egg noddle's, on bread, etc.  Enjoy. 

On 1/10/2022 at 9:37 AM, JaseB said:

I do them often.   The night before, unwrap, dry, clean up any sinew if it was left on.  Salt the crap out of it. Really work it in, wrap in several layers of saran wrap and stash in the fridge.  In the a.m. get a big cast iron skillet heated up, add a neutral oil, canola or grapeseed and give it a good, coat the roast in flour and give it a hard sear on all sides. Remove the roast to the crock pot and add a couple of sliced onions to the skillet and saute those up.   Deglaze the skillet with a half a box of Unsalted Beef Stock, add to the crock add a bay leaf or two, lots of pepper, put the lid on a cook on low all day.   come home and you should be able to shred it up.  Service over egg noddle's, on bread, etc.  Enjoy. 

I do pretty much the same on preparation... but I use a little cooking sherry or white wine (not a lot, maybe 1/2 cup) to deglaze and then reduce before adding the beef stock. Most times I will add some fresh onion and bell pepper strips with the roast and some diced mushrooms. I agree on adding a couple bay leaves... serve over rice or noodles.

marinated overnight in..olive oil balsamic vinegar salt pepper  add some sweet baby rays original bbq sauce to the crock garlic onions and green peppers and slow and low cook it..till your preference of doneness is done

On 1/21/2022 at 5:37 PM, willcodfish said:

marinated overnight in..olive oil balsamic vinegar salt pepper  add some sweet baby rays original bbq sauce to the crock garlic onions and green peppers and slow and low cook it..till your preference of doneness is done

+1

Trim off the trimmings and slow cook on low for 12 hours.  No extra worrying.  KISS.  Just grab your fav crock pot recipe and mix it all in an go to work.  

Its quite literally my favorite meal.  My Kids too.