young

Douglas Sky 9904

Rate this topic

35 posts in this topic

Went to Bears Den today. What an awesome shop. 

Test casted the Douglas Sky 9’ 9wt. It felt like the most powerful rod compared to all the other 9wt rods I tested. It is fast and powerful. But others that I casted where more sensitive and more enjoyable to cast. 

the more rods I cast, I am sure that I like moderate/fast or extra fast rods. It is too cold now for casting lesson, but I was able to make 30-50ft cast in the Den. The new technologies in fly fishing in line and rod make it possible for me to do these distance. Obviously I have now clue how I am casting but is sure nice to see the line up above my head and watch it go back and forth and roll down the floor. 

I bought some flies and a stripping basket from them. I couldn’t walk away empty handed. 

CC39952B-A5B5-4F29-A852-AEC4D912B957.jpeg

BD02E4DF-492F-4A53-B5CA-EBF489E8151F.jpeg

Edited by young

I hear you - I went to Bears Den last week and couldn't walk out empty handed either.  I saved my Christmas money (and added some of my own cash) and walked out with a G Loomis NRX+ 7 weight. Similar to you, I test cast that rod as well as a used Scott Sector 7 weight, and went with the NRX (few more pennies, but was nice to cast)...Admittedly I opted to bring my own reel, loaded with a Rio Striper intergrated shooting head 250 grain head (newer Super Slick version)...So for the purists who don't count casting these style of lines over a floater, I don't have a review for you...lol

As an aside, this effectively ends any purpose to the Sage Payload thread I started a few weeks ago...lol

After casting over 6 rods at Bears Den, I could not absorb anymore (retain each rods action, taper sensitivity, mid section, power ect.). The G Loomis line escaped me and I did not get to cast it or even hold or wiggle it.

So far, each rod has their own unique characteristic. I lost count, but think I have casted about 9/10 rods total from Cabelas and Bears Den combined. The take away is that none of them are like the Douglas Sky. 

G Loomis has their IMX series as more of a mid priced rod...but I think you'd find that action to be a bit more moderate to what you're looking for. The NRX+ is probably closer but the price tag is a bit more steep

For now, what I have casted and what I like that stand out doesn’t not justify for me to use as my first fly rod and intended to use for kayak fishing. 

the Echo Bad Ass Glass Quickshot fly rod might be a good first choice for kayak fishing. It is also budget friendly at $290.  It feels like it has a moderate fast top section with a moderate mid and stout butt section. Con-The rod is heavy. I seem to cast ok with it. But it is not a rod I want to cast all day. With that said, it might be the best tool for me since it will be banging on the yak and I don’t intend to cast it all day. 

something for me to think about. 

Edited by young