young

Douglas Sky 9904

Rate this topic

35 posts in this topic

What other manufacture have similar action? Went to a shop and held the Douglas sky 9904 9’ 9wt.

To me as someone who never held a fly rod, the Douglas sky have a fast action feel. fast tip with good back bone. A very light rod but at $695 it’s hard to swallow. 

after coming home and doing a little internet search, the rod is built with titanium guides. Well ok then!

if we strip away the built, what other manufacture make a rod that is similar. Fast tip but with good back bone like the Douglas Sky 9904?

I would like to go and handle more rods like it but cost much less. 

I handled one yesterday as well and thought it felt like a fast rod as well....but as far as cost, in today's world of premium fly rods, that's actually almost 'mid priced'

You do not need to spend $500 plus to find a decent fast action rod.

A google search should pull up several candidates.

But no rod casts itself. First time of picking up a fly rod strongly suggests that seeking help to cast one will be a great start.

mike

Just came back from LLbeans and wiggled the Apex 9’ 8WT and that rod felt fast action. Unfortunately they didn’t have a 9wt at this store. 

At least I will be able to use my buddies setup and make some cast. It’s not the exact setup but it’s a great start. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

Having never held a fly rod before........and by deduction have yet to even try to cast a fly line.......do yourself a favor and do NOT spend $700 on the very first fly rod you pick up......and a non-mainstream one at that.  Unless money is absolutely no object and you are looking for the gratification involved in holding a $700 fly rod.

Having fly cast and fly fished for 63 years......and taught hundreds to cast......I gave up the big money, newest hi- tech rod chase 2 decades ago.  I haven't spent more than $100 on a fly rod in decades.....and haven't missed a beat.  And......I can afford any rod I want.

Take Mike O's advice above.  The more you learn true casting proficiency, the less you will be impressed by the hype, the newest hi-tech nano-titanium widget.  If I bought a new rod every year that promised more distance, more accuracy, etc., etc. I would be casting 300 feet by now.

But hey, alternatively you could choose to go the bigger-price-tag-is better route, spend thousands on the highest tech 2022 gear......and turn a few heads.  Until......you actually start to try to cast.

Edited by Peter Patricelli

23 mins ago, Peter Patricelli said:

Having never held a fly rod before........and by deduction have yet to even try to cast a fly line.......do yourself a favor and do NOT spend $700 on the very first fly rod you pick up......and a non-mainstream one at that.  Unless money is absolutely no object and you are looking for the gratification involved in holding a $700 fly rod.

Having fly cast and fly fished for 63 years......and taught hundreds to cast......I gave up the big money, newest hi- tech rod chase 2 decades ago.  I haven't spent more than $100 on a fly rod in decades.....and haven't missed a beat.  And......I can afford any rod I want.

Take Mike O's advice above.  The more you learn true casting proficiency, the less you will be impressed by the hype, the newest hi-tech nano-titanium widget.  If I bought a new rod every year that promised more distance, more accuracy, etc., etc. I would be casting 300 feet by now.

But hey, alternatively you could choose to go the bigger-price-tag-is better route, spend thousands on the highest tech 2022 gear......and turn a few heads.  Until......you actually start to try to cast.

I am not planing on spending $700 on my first fly rod. My main purpose of this post is to see if others would say rod X, Y, Z has similar performance like the Douglas sky and it’s a fraction of the cost. 

I have a long ways to go before getting a fly rod. I am just trying to get feedback of what is available so I can go to a shop and handle them. 

I also understand handling in a shop is no where close to a

true evaluation. I know the best way is to fish it but my circle of fishing group are not big on fly fishing. 

I will have to call some fly shops in my area and see if they provide service for casting and casting different setups. 

2 hours ago, Mike Oliver said:

You do not need to spend $500 plus to find a decent fast action rod.

A google search should pull up several candidates.

But no rod casts itself. First time of picking up a fly rod strongly suggests that seeking help to cast one will be a great start.

mike

^^^ Wisdom ^^^.

Bears Den have an Introduction to fly casting, but I will have to wait till April 23 for that class. 

they also provide private lesson. I will have to call and ask for more detail. 

Edited by young

Young,

Unfortunately the learning curve for a new fly caster is steep.

There are $1,000 rods and $250 that rods are pieces of junk.

If I squinted hard and put myself back 25 years - I would look for an older Sage, T&T, Scott. Or a GLoomis from the mid 1990's - not the Cross Currents that ar inferior.

Maybe a Winston which is not built as well but has a kind acton. 

As mentioned above - I would stay away from the off brands.  Don't read the hype espousing "nano technology" - Xmatrix - etc.

You can buy the above for $200-$300 and have a comfortable rod to cast until you have enough experience to really know what you want.

Herb

Edited by HL

15 hours ago, young said:

Just came back from LLbeans and wiggled the Apex 9’ 8WT and that rod felt fast action. Unfortunately they didn’t have a 9wt at this store. 

At least I will be able to use my buddies setup and make some cast. It’s not the exact setup but it’s a great start. 

Did Bean disclose who makes their Apex rods? I think G Loomis made the earlier versions of the Apex (rod was revamped/re-release several years ago)

I didn’t talk to any one at llbeans. I just wanted to go there and wiggle rods. I also wanted to go to Orvis next door, but Orvis closed that location. 

Orvis not a bad place to start. The lower cost Sage rods will get the job done.

Try not to spend forever deliberating life is well too short.

Sorry to keep pushing this but fly fishing is immensely more enjoyable and rewarding for guys who can cast technically well. 
The ocean is a tough gig and many will not even attempt an open beach. You don’t want to be one of those I hope.

Ambition drives everything,

Mike

7 mins ago, young said:

I didn’t talk to any one at llbeans. I just wanted to go there and wiggle rods. I also wanted to go to Orvis next door, but Orvis closed that location. 

Was that in Dedham, MA (Legacy Place)? Orvis closed their Dedham and Salem locations. Nowadays, if you do a store locator search on the Orvis site, it's going to list dealers...which you'll find Bears Den and Concord Outfitters. It also listed one other shop I didn't know existed...near Asssembly Sq Mall in Somerville. I'm not sure if that's a full fledged Orvis store or just a fly shop who happens to be an Orvis dealer

17 mins ago, albacized said:

Was that in Dedham, MA (Legacy Place)? Orvis closed their Dedham and Salem locations. Nowadays, if you do a store locator search on the Orvis site, it's going to list dealers...which you'll find Bears Den and Concord Outfitters. It also listed one other shop I didn't know existed...near Asssembly Sq Mall in Somerville. I'm not sure if that's a full fledged Orvis store or just a fly shop who happens to be an Orvis dealer

Yes. My next stop will be Bears Den. I will call them first and talk over the phone about casting lessons. 

23 mins ago, Mike Oliver said:

Orvis not a bad place to start. The lower cost Sage rods will get the job done.

Try not to spend forever deliberating life is well too short.

Sorry to keep pushing this but fly fishing is immensely more enjoyable and rewarding for guys who can cast technically well. 
The ocean is a tough gig and many will not even attempt an open beach. You don’t want to be one of those I hope.

Ambition drives everything,

Mike

i enjoy fishing the salt more over fresh. Once I make up my mind on something, I jump in head first. 

your reply’s have been very helpful and I appreciate them. 

I know getting casting lesson will help me and that is what I will do. Unfortunately I will have to wait a little longer before that can happen because I am in MA.