What year model 4runner?

Thumb-Burner

On 1/9/2022 at 10:11 PM, 7nBait said:

I have a 2020 runner. I saw online that if your Vin starts with JEP, it was made in Japan. Apparently these trucks shouldn't have rapid rust issue's, we'll see. Garage kept for fishing only. Doing nothing special than rinsing off after the sand. Hopefully my trade in will yield a nice return for the next truck.

All 4Runners are made in Japan.  Yes Toyotas rust like anything else that sees winter salt and beach use.  But if you do proper maintenance and religously do a carriage underwash after beach use they will survive plus using a fluid film on the frame.   I have several Toyotas including a 2008 4Runner with the V8.   Bought it in 2014 with 61K on it and other than putting 2 batteries in it it has been bulletproof.   Unfortunately it is a terrible time to buy a used Toyota 4Runner due to the economy and used car prices.   Best bet would be a 4th Gen with a V6.   They are out there for better prices if you are patient and dig.

Anti-social Fisherman

On 1/9/2022 at 10:11 PM, 7nBait said:

I have a 2020 runner. I saw online that if your Vin starts with JEP, it was made in Japan. Apparently these trucks shouldn't have rapid rust issue's, we'll see. Garage kept for fishing only. Doing nothing special than rinsing off after the sand. Hopefully my trade in will yield a nice return for the next truck.

All 4Runners are made in Japan.  Yes Toyotas rust like anything else that sees winter salt and beach use.  But if you do proper maintenance and religously do a carriage underwash after beach use they will survive plus using a fluid film on the frame.   I have several Toyotas including a 2008 4Runner with the V8.   Bought it in 2014 with 61K on it and other than putting 2 batteries in it it has been bulletproof.   Unfortunately it is a terrible time to buy a used Toyota 4Runner due to the economy and used car prices.   Best bet would be a 4th Gen with a V6.   They are out there for better prices if you are patient and dig.

Anti-social Fisherman

On 1/8/2022 at 0:21 PM, Thumb-Burner said:

I'm hoping to get a 4wd forerunner this year to replace my 2002 highlander.  It will be a daily driver but want something I can take on the beach.  No major towing.  Definitely will buy used and probably won't spend more than 20k.  What year models and features should I look for and stay away from.  Reliability is top priority as I tend to keep cars for a long time

2005 4Runner V8

243K on the clock

only recurring issues is front brake calipers (they freeze up every 2 years) Replacements $50 Rock Auto

front wheel bearing (Ive done both mine) $180 each from RockAuto already pressed onto hub

If you try to change it, you will ruin it. Try to hold it, and you will lose it.

Lao Tzu, Tao Te Ching

5th gen here.  run it pretty much stock.  probably add some lift later on.

but it works fine as is, as i dont go boulder crawling. hence i put off getting it lifted a few inches.

one optional thing i recommend getting, a Sprint Booster controller.

gets rid of the throttle lag.  makes the engine response MUCH quicker. makes it drive like a completely better car.

really makes the v6, feel like a v6.  best dollars on an upgrade i ever spent.

Edited by ooeric

i use 2/3 rule for trading. join date, posts, or vouch. whoever has less goes first.

(*member formerly known as 'ooeric')

I've got a 2010 

Bought it with 46k miles 

Had it 3? Years and put ~60k on it since I took ownership

No major problems only routine maitnence ( and a wheel bearing at 100k )

Love everything about it, I spend most weekends living out of it down at the shore, 

Point Blur_Jan182022_141638.jpg

Edited by GrahamN
Forgot image

I’ve had four 4Runners. 1st was an 87  4 cylinder SR5 with the funky altimeter/inclinometer on the top of the dash and the slash decals on the body.  I was never brave enough to take the rear cap off.  These sold for 15 something thousand back then.  In 94 or 95 I traded it for a used 1992 SR5 with a manual transmission and maybe twenty five thousand miles.  The 87 that I traded had lost the spare tire.  I think the chain-plate mechanism holding it rusted and the tire fell off or just maybe someone borrowed it.  I’ll have to keep wondering.  I must have taken a stupid pill because in 2000 I got a Mercury Mountaineer AWD with all the fixings.  With only six thousand miles on the odometer and thunderstorms rolling in and a dozen boats behind me anxious to haul out and my boat on the trailer it won’t start. I’m blocking one side of a two lane ramp. The Mercury was put on a flat bed and boat was towed to storage yard.  That wasn’t the only time the starter on that Mercury failed when I was towing a boat but this is about 4Runners.  In 2006 I got the 4.7L 8 cylinder and put about 255,000 miles on it before trading for a 2017 TRD off road.  I averaged ~ 22k miles a year until retiring a couple years ago.  Reliability is more important to me than style.  With well over half a million miles the 4Runners have never left me stranded.

• 2 months later...
On 1/8/2022 at 6:06 PM, Snuffy said:

Hi TB,

After 41 yrs and 9 months, I officially retired on 1/3/22. I bought my 3rd Gen. 2000 4Runner in 2001 with 18,000 miles. My brother rode with me on 1/4/22 to Cape Hatteras to pick it up and drove it back to Smithfield and it turned 200,0000 on the way back home. Always serviced with Mobil 1 and genuine Toyota filters. 

The first thing I do when I arrive back at my home at Buxton, from driving on the beach, is spray the exterior and I also have an under washer attachment to spray the complete undercarriage. 

Don't discount being able to find a nice 5th Gen for $20,000. I'd look at Craigslist and Facebook Marketplace. In addition, I have a neighbor, that also fishes with me, that has been in the car business for over 20 years. He found my 2000 Cherokee Sport with 59,000 miles and my wife's Lexus with 9,000 miles. His reputation is excellent. I have his contact info if needed. Keep us posted on your find.

BTW, retirement so far has been great. Even though the weather was horrible, we did manage to catch a few nice black drum on our short trip this week.

Michael

20201022_080026 (1).jpg

20201022_155312.jpg

love your rig! im looking to pick up an 02 runner as a beach buggy- any reason in particular you went with the cargo basket in the front instead of the rear hitch? I didnt even know there was a hitch to mount a basket to in the front of the 3rd gens

I have always mounted all of my rod racks up front. A rear mount, driven through soft sand, will attract and displace that sand on your reels...if you do not encase the reel in a reel bag. I also want easy access to my rear hatch. In addition, that raised rear hatch affords me protection from the sun or a pop up thundershower. Her are a couple of pics of some of my previous beach vehicles.

Michael

Ford f250 with Northstar camper.jpeg

IMG_0162 (1).JPG

IMG_0227.JPG