stifftip

Safe ice ?

Rate this topic

30 posts in this topic

Weather man says cold for next week !  maybe just maybe we will get safe ice 3-4” out to wellfleet or beyond I know a few perch ponds that haven’t been fished for the last two years or longer . The cape ponds have the slob female perch but getting to them you could become a real ice angel  

5 mins ago, stifftip said:

Weather man says cold for next week !  maybe just maybe we will get safe ice 3-4” out to wellfleet or beyond I know a few perch ponds that haven’t been fished for the last two years or longer . The cape ponds have the slob female perch but getting to them you could become a real ice angel  

White perch are about all you can handle at your age. :stick:

I've never ice fished the Cape but one of these years if we get an old fashioned winter I really want to.

I got a feeling there are some big trout in some of those ponds.

Ice fishing for trout on the cape is so good, I gave up fishing for everything else and just focused on trout.   It took me a couple years to refine my approach.  But the trout were there.

3 mins ago, bob_G said:

Ice fishing for trout on the cape is so good, I gave up fishing for everything else and just focused on trout.   It took me a couple years to refine my approach.  But the trout were there.

What was your approach?

Your age hum! Let’s see u know i have wasted a month deer hunting and walking in the woods almost every day   So I think I can take a walk on the hard water , Btw  bob . How is your back? 

2 hours ago, bob_G said:

Bad news.  :blackeye:

Is it ever good at your age    Doctor said to u exercise rehab and loose 40 pounds or it’s the knife for you.   When do you get the operation 

16 hours ago, stifftip said:

Usually we will have safe ice around the middle of this month on the mid to outer Cape.If not then,it's a very long shot to get any safe ice later.I'm still wading some of the ponds with breathables and no thermal clothing underneath.The water is pretty warm and the trout are still rising to flies in the later afternoon even when cloudy.Oh! a couple of ponds the perch are hitting the flies too.

Well it took a while but I was ice fishing a few cape ponds down east ham .only jiggling ,fishing was great got on two ponds 3” rock hard clear ice . I could see the bottom. I caught just about everything  big perch white and yellows  calicos and bass  all on the gigs. 25 ft of water. Everything went back  . 

33 mins ago, stifftip said:

Well it took a while but I was ice fishing a few cape ponds down east ham .only jiggling ,fishing was great got on two ponds 3” rock hard clear ice . I could see the bottom. I caught just about everything  big perch white and yellows  calicos and bass  all on the gigs. 25 ft of water. Everything went back  . 

You caught the fabled white perch!:wee:

The fabled white perch . That goes back first.  They have a muddy bottom taste to me. They clean the same as a yellow but I can taste the difference . I have caught   pin white and yellow from a local but unsafe pond . Most ponds that have a herring run are good ice fishing ponds