Jay in the Bay

Advice needed: Tankless vs tank water heater for condo

Rate this topic

13 posts in this topic

I just signed a contract for a condo, and during the inspection I found that the existing hot water tank heater is nearing its end of life based on # years old. 

Once I take ownership, I will probably need to replace it in the near future, and was thinking about replacing the tank with a tankless water heater.

Any particular pros/cons that I should be aware or, or benefits of one vs the other?

For context, it's a 2 BR/2 BA condo in SW Florida.  It will just be me living in the condo, with the exception of the random and occassional visiting guests.

Thanks!! 

Posted (edited) · Report post

Replacing a 40 gallon electric? Natural gas is more economical but rare in Fla. The Fla. rates are low so Electric tankless will probably save you money. For one person ‘On demand’  HW is better than heating a HWH 24/7. There may be a small amount of maintenance with a tankless unit. They are more money and it probably won’t outlast a regular HWH, even though the internet says they last 20 years.

Edited by cheech
Spell

If your water is as hard, smelly and non potable as the swill I get in Clearwater, Fla., stick with a standard HWH.

My heating guy flat out told me no to any type of tankless instant hot water system.  Too many electronics to go wrong.

I suspect this will evoke many passionate reply's.  

I wonder how much efficiency is really gained with the tankless if you blanket the crap out of your traditional tank and make sure there are both heat trap nipples and heat trap loops on the lines.

1 min ago, Kings over Queens said:

My heating guy flat out told me no to any type of tankless instant hot water system.  Too many electronics to go wrong.

I suspect this will evoke many passionate reply's.  

Agrees with what I've heard, it doesn't take many service calls to eat up whatever efficiency savings you've made.

Posted (edited) · Report post

Modern electric tanks are 100% thermal efficient   Also very little standing heat loss. Like a Thermos. Surrounded by insulation. Very little savings vs a tank. Also an electric tankless uses a ton of power to supply a house. You may not have 80 amps of 240 volt to spare. (Or more). Just no real pros to switching. 

Edited by nj charlie

We've been thinking about going with the tankless for space saving but after reading some reply' I'm not so sure. We're tight on space and might lean towards another elec HWH but put it in the attic?

On 1/9/2022 at 11:19 AM, Chunkah said:

Get a traditional HWH with a pan and water break connected to it. Done!

Congrats on the condo purchase.

In a Fla. villa we had a 40 gal lowboy electric on a 5’ raised corner platform in the laundry. It was out of the way, but unlike the closet method it was quite visible. Threaded rod supported the outside corner of the platform.

I'm 6 years in on my tankless.  4BR 2 bath cape with additional outdoor shower. Just two of  us in the winter, but in the summer I'm loaded with visitors.  Often run 6-8 showers in a row at the end of a good beach day.  Uninterrupted supply of HW, zero service calls so far, plugs into a standard wall outlet, annual maintenance is simple, gas usage is not noticeably better/worse...... But the storage space it opened up in my very small laundry room is priceless! Never going back to a tank.  

I had a 50 gallon traditional hot water heater go bad on me in 2007. Did some research and replaced it with a Rheem tankless and it's worked like a charm ever since. Unit is on a 2 family home. Depending on hot water supply needs, you can get as little as 1 unit or piggy back them up to 6 units.

With a water rise of 70 in my area of NJ, I'm getting just under 5 gallons per minute. Units can put out up to 8 gallons per minute or much less depending on the water rise.

Family also has a Rheem tankless at a shore property for 10+ years now, no issues at all.

I was hesitant to go with tankless initially, but my many years of travels to Europe I've noticed that's all they use.

2 years ago a family member had one replaced in Europe that's been in place since 1992, never had any issues during all that time.

In my opinion, why would one want to heat all that water in the tank if it's not being used?

Good luck with whichever you decide to go with.