Samak

Glider recommendation for surf fishing

Rate this topic

31 posts in this topic

I’ve seen some fishermen succeed with gliders last year. I also read and saw Jerry Audet’s thoughts on gliders. Jerry’s favorite’s are hard to find. I  am looking for recommendations on gliders. Please be specific as to size, weight, float/sink etc.  also if you wish to share how you work them, that would be helpful. Thanks 

Posted (edited) · Report post

the issue with specific size/weight is that it is going to depend on water depth, water movement (i.e. wave action, current, etc.), castability that you want, bait present, etc. Gliders are very versatile but no one specific one is perfect for everything, think of a bucktail, different weight, hair density, style, all effect the action, or even a needlefish. Trial and error based on where you fish.

I find gliders to be a fun plug to work, but they took me a while to figure out, I just started using them this summer and was entertaining to learn. I like RM Smith waverers and have multiples of each of the style he makes. I also like alan's customs as well. I tend to fish back bays a lot so the smaller sizes work better for me (RM peanut, RM dart, alans mini dart), if there is heavier current or if I am fishing an open beach I will use larger/heavier sizes (RM waverer, Alans dart, Alans combat). 

Typically I will start with a basic cast and slow retrieve which they will sway/swim gently back and fourth during the retrieve, you can also mix in some pauses, twitches, jerks, etc. if those don't work I will get more aggressive and use a walk the dog motion being very erratic. if that doesn't work I'll try a different profile/size/weight and try to work a different area of the water column and see what happens. 

Edited by Italianbuca

I fish a glider most of the time. A Sebile stick Shadd 155 FT will walk the dog underwater. Very productive. 

1 hour ago, wefish138 said:

imo there’s none better then scabellys. For cheaper plastic ones the nomad madscads and yo Zuri twitch baits are easy to find alternatives 

:agree:

Custom Wood gliders can be tough to find and/or expensive.  A lot of very good builders including RG, Scbelly, RM Smith, Alan's, etc.

I picked up a few of the Westin last year in 3 sizes and they all produced.  Search them up an you'll find on outlet for them.  Affordable, available and they work.

Had some success with the Westin swim this fall before I lost it. There’s also a LI guy that makes wood gliders that I’ve had some success with if you google Fight Lures

3 hours ago, FoliFish said:

Custom Wood gliders can be tough to find and/or expensive.  A lot of very good builders including RG, Scbelly, RM Smith, Alan's, etc.

I picked up a few of the Westin last year in 3 sizes and they all produced.  Search them up an you'll find on outlet for them.  Affordable, available and they work.

Where did you get the Westin lures? I found some on the bay shipped from Poland. Also which size, float/sink do you like?

4 hours ago, wefish138 said:

imo there’s none better then scabellys. For cheaper plastic ones the nomad madscads and yo Zuri twitch baits are easy to find alternatives 

I’ve decided to try the Scabelly. They’re hard to find in stock so buying one will be an adventure. What size, float/sink, color do you like or don’t like. 

2 hours ago, Samak said:

I’ve decided to try the Scabelly. They’re hard to find in stock so buying one will be an adventure. What size, float/sink, color do you like or don’t like. 

I prefer the 3.5 inch and 5 inch and use according to the size fish.  White or yellow.  Slow sink.. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

6 hours ago, Samak said:

Where did you get the Westin lures? I found some on the bay shipped from Poland. Also which size, float/sink do you like?

These are the three I got, also on The Bay.  Pretty sure they were all US based sellers.  No issues other than the white that arrived was all white, not like the pic.  Not a big deal.
The heavier (white) I used in deeper water with current.  The perch one I used on an open beach in 3-6’ of water.  The small one I used on lighter tackle in a back bay.  They all produced at times.

A2922A8E-D9B3-4FE0-937C-348EC6A19FA0.jpeg

1A9ADBB9-4786-4151-8D13-8143E2F5AC3E.jpeg

21437D97-BD97-43D4-AB2B-18D024EDB0DB.jpeg

Edited by FoliFish

3 hours ago, fishless said:

I prefer the 3.5 inch and 5 inch and use according to the size fish.  White or yellow.  Slow sink.. 

The scabelly glider is a must carry plug for me. 5 inch, white is all u really need. Slow sink . Hard to get your best bet is to friend him on instagram or fb and he usually will give a little warning about when he is dropping some off at a few tackle shops that carry them. After that be johnny on the spot because they will go fast. The Alan's work too and are much easier to get but scabelly is my go too

glide bass.jpg

22 hours ago, Samak said:

If you’re local, scabelly will be at Grumpys the 29th. 

002BF4CE-D745-44F8-A63E-F6C93DC5330B.jpeg