Ok bird watchers, where r the Cardinals?

Rate this topic

bob_G

Plenty here in Southern Massholia, feeders are in place and hold them for most of the year. 

"For our discussion of kayak angling is no trifling matter but is the way to conduct our lives, nobody untrained in fishing may enter my house."- Fly's Plato

This spring we had two nesting pair of cardinals. Both parents brought their scraggly fledglings to the feeders in late summer, and fed them directly from their beaks. 

By Sept the ugly fledglings began visiting the feeders on their own, with the adults watching on a nearby branch. This more or less continued until mid fall, and then they all disappeared?

The Sultan of Sluggo

Here in CT I've seen a few. I feel as though I saw way more during the summer. Not hearing or seeing as many Blue Jays as usual either it seems.

The one that has me stumped these past few years is the number of Robins I see during the winter. Nice assortment or raptors around. Seen your basic redtails, red shouldered, peregrines, and snowy owls. Not bad for little CT.

3 hours ago, bob_G said:

This spring we had two nesting pair of cardinals. Both parents brought their scraggly fledglings to the feeders in late summer, and fed them directly from their beaks. 

By Sept the ugly fledglings began visiting the feeders on their own, with the adults watching on a nearby branch. This more or less continued until mid fall, and then they all disappeared?

We have plenty of cardinals and bluebirds in our feeders right now. I wonder if you have a predator issue? Any hawks, cats or foxes move into your "hood"?

8 mins ago, The TideRunner said:

Here in CT I've seen a few. I feel as though I saw way more during the summer. Not hearing or seeing as many Blue Jays as usual either it seems.

The one that has me stumped these past few years is the number of Robins I see during the winter. Nice assortment or raptors around. Seen your basic redtails, red shouldered, peregrines, and snowy owls. Not bad for little CT.

I think I mentioned seeing robins also. A couple weeks ago a flock showed up, and hung around a few days.  Very aggressive and territorial.

The Sultan of Sluggo

Just now, Ladyfish said:

We have plenty of cardinals and bluebirds in our feeders right now. I wonder if you have a predator issue? Any hawks, cats or foxes move into your "hood"?

No, not really. Now that we finally put the squirrels in their place, we have more birds than ever. 

The Sultan of Sluggo

20 hours ago, K Foley said:

Few here in Carver. Saw finches today for the first time in a while. I used to have enough to hang out two thistle feeders and fill them almost daily now one has been out for over a month with fresh seed without being touched. Chickadees, Titmouse and Juncos primary feeders now.

Forgot the suet feeder. Woodpeckers,Nuthatches, Wrens and a flicker now and then and red an gray tree rats of course.

1 hour ago, bdowning said:

I think theres a hawk explosion. Never seen so many. 

There are a lot of red tails. They're very successful backyard breeders. All the squirrels and rabbits keep them fed.

They don't eat too many song birds though. 

There was some kind of bird plague spreading through bird feeders in recent years. 

The bluebirds show when it snows and they hang out at the suet feeders all through the storm.2 pairs of cardinals are around in the afternoon.The rest of the day it's the regulars comprising of titmice,finches,chickadees,bluejays,and a couple of flickers rapping on the shingles and trees.

23 hours ago, bob_G said:

Funny you mention blue Jays. I've got more that ever.  When the family shows up, it's often a half dozen loud birds. Blue jays are cool.

Do Blue Jays scare away Cardinals? Yes. Blue Jays are commonly known as bullies toward many bird species, including cardinals. Blue Jays are bigger and louder than just about any other bird (aside from crows) and are the common cause for many birds to escape their presence…

Quick google search popped this up from onthefeederdotcom…whatever that is.

Edited by FoliFish