bob_G

Ok bird watchers, where r the Cardinals?

Rate this topic

76 posts in this topic

For years we've been overrun with cardinals.  As recently as a couple years ago, on a snowy day like this, we'd have as many as 4-5 on the feeders, with that many waiting their turn in nearby trees.

Now, none. Feeders are filled with their favorite food, black sunflower seeds. I see an occasional male fly through the yard,  hanging out on a branch.  But otherwise, it's slim pickings.

Are their numbers down?

I'm seeing dozens of cardinal pics in the FB bird groups. Somebody just posted a flock of 10.

I don't have a feeder but I see the flashes of red and hear the distinct song all over the place. 

Hmm, I haven't seen one yet today.  Ordinarily on a snowy day like this, we'd see flashes of red all over. Males and females hanging in trees waiting for a turn at the feeders.  Plenty of other birds, just no cardinals.

Ive seen these localized boom bust cycles in certain species before. Always seems to be very short term. 

1 hour ago, bob_G said:

For years we've been overrun with cardinals.  As recently as a couple years ago, on a snowy day like this, we'd have as many as 4-5 on the feeders, with that many waiting their turn in nearby trees.

Now, none. Feeders are filled with their favorite food, black sunflower seeds. I see an occasional male fly through the yard,  hanging out on a branch.  But otherwise, it's slim pickings.

Are their numbers down?

Few here in Carver. Saw finches today for the first time in a while. I used to have enough to hang out two thistle feeders and fill them almost daily now one has been out for over a month with fresh seed without being touched. Chickadees, Titmouse and Juncos primary feeders now.

Please come take my cardinal.  It spends hours almost every single day, year-round, banging itself in to my sun room windows.  We've tried everything!

3 hours ago, b-ware said:

Overpopulated with Cardinals out here but no blue birds at all.........................

Burkie's fault don't know why; but it is.

10 mins ago, K Foley said:

Burkie's fault don't know why; but it is.

Of course it is, as you know he is in cahoots with Joe G who has a thing for city pigeons..........

3 hours ago, bdowning said:

Ive seen these localized boom bust cycles in certain species before. Always seems to be very short term. 

In  my neck of the woods (north central MA) it was blue jays. They just disappeared for a few years, now they're everywhere again.

2 mins ago, pescatore said:

In  my neck of the woods (north central MA) it was blue jays. They just disappeared for a few years, now they're everywhere again.

Funny you mention blue Jays. I've got more that ever.  When the family shows up, it's often a half dozen loud birds. Blue jays are cool.

1 hour ago, b-ware said:

job Of course it is, as you know he is in cahoots with Joe G who has a thing for city pigeons..........

Park bench on the Common Joe G and Burkie sharing space with a bag of popcorn from Ocean State Lot with the pigeons. I can see it. Everybody doing better Bernie?

5 mins ago, K Foley said:

Park bench on the Common Joe G and Burkie sharing space with a bag of popcorn from Ocean State Lot with the pigeons. I can see it. Everybody doing better Bernie?

I am doing well but it is going to be a slow process for Debby,  Thanks for asking.............

2 mins ago, b-ware said:

I am doing well but it is going to be a slow process for Debby,  Thanks for asking.............

Best wishes for both of you.

I'll send some Bluebirds your way.. :th: