crazybellringer

2022 Bike Thread - Terry MAC 2021 Champ

Rate this topic

491 posts in this topic

45 mins ago, RiverRaider said:

Have you noticed that the tubeless tire feels a bit different (and I mean even when you poke and squeeze it ) than a tubed tire at the same pressure. 

The sidewalls seem just a bit more supple 

Kind of neat 

if it were me I’d be adding more sealant just to see if that improves air retention not sure all valves are designed to be able to do that 

yes, totally different feel and tire tubeless. 

21 hours ago, RiverRaider said:

I’m my limited experience this is also what I’ve experienced, not losing so much air that it’s a huge issue but I’m topping off more often than my other bike(s) that have tubes 

are you guys using tapes specifically designed (or at least marketed) for tubeless wheels? I did not 

I am using tubeless tape but have used other methods on my fat bikes before there were better options. One of the main benefits of tubeless is flat reduction through self sealing. The drawback is air loss through the sidewalls. Even if you have a really good seal everywhere else, you are likely to be topping off more than your used to, especially with high pressure tires (70 - 120 psi). My fat bike tires hold air remarkably well even though I can see sealant weeping out the sidewalls but I run them at 8psi. I only have to top them off every few rides unless there is a major temperature drop. My 29er tires I run at around 24psi and I usually lose a couple pounds between rides. I've been running my road tubeless at around 80psi and always lose pressure between rides but I ride more off road these days. I always check my tire pressure and look for thorns and glass in the tread before a ride regardless of the bike. Even my one remaining tube bike. Nothing worse than getting out on a ride only to learn you have a slow leak.

When you install a new tubeless tire, make sure to over inflate it (but not above the tire max pressure) after putting in the sealant. Spin the wheel turning it on each side then bounce it on the ground to distribute the sealant. The higher pressure will help the sealant find any leaks and plug them.

In the end, you may just be experiencing what all tubeless riders experience. Get acquainted with your tire gauge and pump! Or install a big air compressor in your garage like I did many years ago...

Looking for opinions...

I keep breaking spokes on the rear tire. I only ride on the street & try to keep PSI up to spec. Bike is  ~7 years old with maybe 12k miles. When I was in NY I rode March - December; so it's seen its share of crappy weather

31 mins ago, Joe said:

Looking for opinions...

I keep breaking spokes on the rear tire. I only ride on the street & try to keep PSI up to spec. Bike is  ~7 years old with maybe 12k miles. When I was in NY I rode March - December; so it's seen its share of crappy weather

Broken spokes are usually due to an improperly built wheel. If spoke tensions are off spokes can snap. PSI and weather shouldn't affect your spokes unless you are riding around on flat tires or in a very corrosive environment. Most spokes are stainless these days. Cheap spokes or not enough spokes for the weight of the rider also play into it. Look carefully at the spoke holes in the rim, sometimes you'll see micro cracks that indicate over tensioning. If that's the case it's time for a new wheel.

Posted (edited) · Report post

1 hour ago, beerdoh said:

Broken spokes are usually due to an improperly built wheel. If spoke tensions are off spokes can snap. PSI and weather shouldn't affect your spokes unless you are riding around on flat tires or in a very corrosive environment. Most spokes are stainless these days. Cheap spokes or not enough spokes for the weight of the rider also play into it. Look carefully at the spoke holes in the rim, sometimes you'll see micro cracks that indicate over tensioning. If that's the case it's time for a new wheel.

thanks. I will look for cracks. There could be corrosion due to some of the crappy conditions I rode in shortly after snow or Noreasters. Now it only sees heat in AZ. When I got home last nite @8pm it was 103.

Edited by Joe

Well it ends up the Maddux rims my cannondale came with were not designed to be tubeless. I was going to order another set of tubless rims and rotars but gear work would be needed and way too much coin to put into my current set up. It was still holding air at lower pressure but at higher pressure was loosing too much. Rim on the right was my tape job on the Maddux rims. The factory tubeless rim on the left came off a brand new Topstone 1 that purchased today. I figured the price of replacement rims and gearing wasn't worth it when the topstone 1 has everything I needed with better components and a 2×11 that I was looking for. Will sell my other topstone 3 even though I am still in love with  it. All is well, dropped on the pathfinder pro tires tonight. Will make it tubeless next weekend. 

20220611_203800.jpg

20220611_213419.jpg

20220611_213536.jpg

20220611_214025.jpg

20220611_214623.jpg

20220611_213550.jpg

On 5/10/2022 at 5:58 AM, shb said:

Do you guys have a favorite set of bicycle lights for riding in the dark?

Or will any ol' set do?

Any that have been total junk?

I picked a mid priced led off ebay.

Good enough. 

20220531_214112.jpg

On 6/11/2022 at 10:47 PM, Terry Mac said:

Well it ends up the Maddux rims my cannondale came with were not designed to be tubeless. I was going to order another set of tubless rims and rotars but gear work would be needed and way too much coin to put into my current set up. It was still holding air at lower pressure but at higher pressure was loosing too much. Rim on the right was my tape job on the Maddux rims. The factory tubeless rim on the left came off a brand new Topstone 1 that purchased today. I figured the price of replacement rims and gearing wasn't worth it when the topstone 1 has everything I needed with better components and a 2×11 that I was looking for. Will sell my other topstone 3 even though I am still in love with  it. All is well, dropped on the pathfinder pro tires tonight. Will make it tubeless next weekend. 

20220611_213419.jpg

Nice color!!  You're gonna really like that GRX11 speed. I'll bet that bike is over a lb lighter too.

And nice safe too.  I need another one. One cannot have too many bikes or guns.

So far the gravel kings look great and get flats alot just like people said here. I have had two puncture flats in less than 300 miles.  All in the back my friend put a tire liner in the back. I love how they look but the flats are a pain. 

I went on a good night ride last week with a group and we went all through the bellmont plate area there are some good bike lanes, service rides and single track in that area. It was cool riding through the woods at night.

We did that as teenagers, buddy lived on manor rd, we’d ride to bells mill then down to valley green on the trails in the dark all blazed up…. Fun times.

Nice  looking bike Tmac. Tubeless tires must come with some kind of stuff to inject in case you have a puncture no?

I want a lightweight bike….do you have any opinions cause the one i want is pricey…13 g and is out of stock.

You says americans do not have money uh?