FISH REPORT 2022 Cape Cod Bay to the Back Side of P town, "sand eel city"

Rate this topic

codfish

2 hours ago, mcnar said:

Just north of the cape

wow.  never heard of triggers n of the cape !

this hear is an exceptionally warm water year with a potential anomaly where gulf stream water thats eddy’d north may connect with warmer water to the N where there’s usually a fold barrier over georges (A connects to B).

its very close.

i believe if this happens it will be a mod atlantic and pelagic paradise all the way up to stellwagen - and i have money on “chicken mahi on the pots on stellwagen” if it does.

here’s a pic from a couple days ago - so close !  

i think the trigger followed the very warm water along the coast thru the canal (maybe)

41BCE0C6-F968-43F5-975C-F1BB184B955F.jpeg

42 mins ago, nicknotsebastian said:

wow.  never heard of triggers n of the cape !

this hear is an exceptionally warm water year with a potential anomaly where gulf stream water thats eddy’d north may connect with warmer water to the N where there’s usually a fold barrier over georges (A connects to B).

its very close.

i believe if this happens it will be a mod atlantic and pelagic paradise all the way up to stellwagen - and i have money on “chicken mahi on the pots on stellwagen” if it does.

here’s a pic from a couple days ago - so close !  

i think the trigger followed the very warm water along the coast thru the canal (maybe)

41BCE0C6-F968-43F5-975C-F1BB184B955F.jpeg

Based on the roughly 20 year high in tropical strays last year (my own estimate) and the early signs already this year, I went ahead and set up this new tank a couple weeks ago. 

I'm getting it cycled now in anticipation of collecting a few butterflyfish and maybe a damsel or two.

20220723_084247.jpg

19 mins ago, mikez2 said:

Based on the roughly 20 year high in tropical strays last year (my own estimate) and the early signs already this year, I went ahead and set up this new tank a couple weeks ago. 

I'm getting it cycled now in anticipation of collecting a few butterflyfish and maybe a damsel or two.

20220723_084247.jpg

eeyup…

i’d already be looking along the s shore and close to the canal in the bay

56 mins ago, nicknotsebastian said:

eeyup…

i’d already be looking along the s shore and close to the canal in the bay

My regular spot is a bit further west.

But you're right. Anywhere there's a rock pile or jetty somewhat protected.

I've never had the chance to do it but the jettys at the inlet (I want to say breachway) at Waqouit would be perfect. 

I'd wait till the end of August though. 

The ones I'm after will only be shirt button size right now. I want them to adapt and feed and grow before I collect. Let the weak and slow get weeded out.

They will be dime to nickle sized at least, some the size of a quarter by end of August. The bigger they are, the better they do in adapting to captivity. 

Edited by mikez2

1 hour ago, mikez2 said:

My regular spot is a bit further west.

But you're right. Anywhere there's a rock pile or jetty somewhat protected.

I've never had the chance to do it but the jettys at the inlet (I want to say breachway) at Waqouit would be perfect. 

I'd wait till the end of August though. 

The ones I'm after will only be shirt button size right now. I want them to adapt and feed and grow before I collect. Let the weak and slow get weeded out.

They will be dime to nickle sized at least, some the size of a quarter by end of August. The bigger they are, the better they do in adapting to captivity. 

The walk to the Waquoit jetty is a deathmarch. Especially carrying a bucket of fish. 

4 mins ago, z-man said:

The walk to the Waquoit jetty is a deathmarch. Especially carrying a bucket of fish. 

Exactly why I've never done it.

The best way to get at it would be by boat from inside the bay.

The only times I've been there was while fish- camping at Washburn Island. Didn't have room for collecting gear on a boat based camping trip. 

11 mins ago, mikez2 said:

Exactly why I've never done it.

The best way to get at it would be by boat from inside the bay.

The only times I've been there was while fish- camping at Washburn Island. Didn't have room for collecting gear on a boat based camping trip. 

I did the walk once last spring with my son. I don’t think we’ll ever do it again. 

4 mins ago, z-man said:

I did the walk once last spring with my son. I don’t think we’ll ever do it again. 

Same here. A boring day at the beach, I got bored, started walking. After a certain point it seemed to make more sense to keep going than to turn back. Big mistake.