codfish

FISH REPORT 2022 Cape Cod Bay to the Back Side of P town, "sand eel city"

Rate this topic

1,345 posts in this topic

@GTs_and_Stripers
Try wallys or sporting wood darters. I forget how a gibbs darter performs.  superstrike darter is another choice, but the sporting wood darter might be closer in behavior.  wallys is excelent darts more than the others and will dive slightly deeper.

If those were screw eyes you can try a pouring in epoxy and installing a bigger eye...or just accept it as a memento.

8 hours ago, GTs_and_Stripers said:

Hit a milestone in my young surfcasting career, a 30lb bass on a wood plug on the open beach. Pulled up to the spot and the smell of pogies was overwhelming - it just felt extra fishy out. Had some slot sized fish on a SS darter and switched to a white Gibbs darter. First cast and it got destroyed! She put up a great fight and after a quick pic I revived her for a few minutes before she wrecked my thumb and let me know she was ready to kick off. I’ve spent over 150 hours at this spot since late April trying to learn how it behaves under different conditions, and this night everything aligned. 

Unfortunately, soon after an even bigger fish put this brand new Gibbs darter into retirement. Have any of you thru-wired a Gibbs darter, have tips on reinforcing the stock ones, or can recommend a shallow-running wood darter that IS thru-wired? Many thanks for all the info I’ve pulled from this site that helped me land this beauty. 

F4FE9676-D795-41F5-B5C5-78C88E388DF0.jpeg

F079C829-B00F-486B-BBD6-CABC6FFADF43.jpeg

I have this darter and only caught on it accidentally. How do you fish it? You said open beach - was it outgoing tide? What's your retrieve pattern?

I really thought it was through-wired!

9 hours ago, ifishthebadspots said:

I have this darter and only caught on it accidentally. How do you fish it? You said open beach - was it outgoing tide? What's your retrieve pattern?

I really thought it was through-wired!

Top of incoming with some nice sweep from tide and wind. I was casting a bit uptide and just slow retrieving. This darter you can feel more than a SS in my opinion as it has a slightly more erratic action rather than the lazy zig zagging. The more light/visibility there is the quicker I retrieve and the more “bumps” I incorporate, where I quickly raise the rod maybe 1-2” with my fingertips, I think Bill Wetzel has a video on that

Fish report yesterday , Splashed the boat and made the turn during the AM to tuna fish. On the way out lots of birds, bass, blues and whales working the sand eels pretty hard. Left them feeding found the wales but not a single tuna mark, saw nothing, stopped back in the bay and picked up a bass for the grill, also stomach reveals bass feeding on sand eels only. "Both my pictures"

DSCF0167.JPG

IMG_2401.jpg

On 7/14/2022 at 1:49 PM, GTs_and_Stripers said:

Hit a milestone in my young surfcasting career, a 30lb bass on a wood plug on the open beach. Pulled up to the spot and the smell of pogies was overwhelming - it just felt extra fishy out. Had some slot sized fish on a SS darter and switched to a white Gibbs darter. First cast and it got destroyed! She put up a great fight and after a quick pic I revived her for a few minutes before she wrecked my thumb and let me know she was ready to kick off. I’ve spent over 150 hours at this spot since late April trying to learn how it behaves under different conditions, and this night everything aligned. 

Unfortunately, soon after an even bigger fish put this brand new Gibbs darter into retirement. Have any of you thru-wired a Gibbs darter, have tips on reinforcing the stock ones, or can recommend a shallow-running wood darter that IS thru-wired? Many thanks for all the info I’ve pulled from this site that helped me land this beauty. 

F4FE9676-D795-41F5-B5C5-78C88E388DF0.jpeg

F079C829-B00F-486B-BBD6-CABC6FFADF43.jpeg

Can't believe it's not through wired but you can through wire it yourself or better yet buy one that is through wired like SS and many others. I don't trust screw eyes.

2 hours ago, codfish said:

Fish report yesterday , Splashed the boat and made the turn during the AM to tuna fish. On the way out lots of birds, bass, blues and whales working the sand eels pretty hard. Left them feeding found the wales but not a single tuna mark, saw nothing, stopped back in the bay and picked up a bass for the grill, also stomach reveals bass feeding on sand eels only. "Both my pictures"

DSCF0167.JPG

IMG_2401.jpg

My brother just got back from looking for tuna he said "It was a boat ride"

2 hours ago, codfish said:

My brother just got back from looking for tuna he said "It was a boat ride"

With the price of gas that stinks. Same happened to me a few days ago. 

4 hours ago, codfish said:

DSCF0167.JPG

IMG_2401.jpg

"Both my pictures" gave me a chuckle....

38 mins ago, whaler1889 said:

With the price of gas that stinks. Same happened to me a few days ago. 

That's fishing:)

Posted (edited)

33 mins ago, bdowning said:

^^Worst fishing nightmare :shock:

If we do a poll, what weed should win for worst weed?

My vote goes to purple/brown mats of mung

Edited by rst3

3 hours ago, rst3 said:

If we do a poll, what weed should win for worst weed?

My vote goes to purple/brown mats of mung

Definitely mung. 

23 hours ago, finbar said:

"Both my pictures" gave me a chuckle....

I’m guessing it’s a dig at me but whatever……I’ve had my fill of fake news these days.