codfish

FISH REPORT 2022 Cape Cod Bay to the Back Side of P town, "sand eel city"

Rate this topic

820 posts in this topic

Landed a fish and it shook two sets of trebles right into my leg :blackeye: not fun. Do I need to do anything besides clean it and hit w antibacterial cream?

14 mins ago, mcnar said:

Landed a fish and it shook two sets of trebles right into my leg :blackeye: not fun. Do I need to do anything besides clean it and hit w antibacterial cream?

Are you up to date on tetanus shots?

4 mins ago, mcnar said:

Yep, plus the hooks were pretty new

You should be fine. Just keep an eye on the area for a few days for infection. 

8 hours ago, z-man said:

You should be fine. Just keep an eye on the area for a few days for infection. 

You should be fine but watch for "Cellulitis is a common bacterial skin infection that causes redness, swelling, and pain in the infected area of the skin. If untreated, it can spread and cause serious health problems." I have had it twice it sucks:eek:

Ive also had it, but only in the hands. We all get micro cuts in.the hands from fishing, either when handling fish or line/hooks/gear. In my case, just itchy and red with some swelling and it goes away in a few days. Ive made a habit of using hand sanitizer right after each outing and thats cut it down a lot. Some ppl have more serious reactions, but its treatable with anti biotics. 

13 hours ago, z-man said:

Are you up to date on tetanus shots?

Do you, or anyone for that matter, know anyone who actually got tetanus?   I once asked my Dr that. He hemmed and hawed, and did everything he could to dodge the question before saying it's still found in some remote third world countries.

34 mins ago, bob_G said:

Do you, or anyone for that matter, know anyone who actually got tetanus?   I once asked my Dr that. He hemmed and hawed, and did everything he could to dodge the question before saying it's still found in some remote third world countries.

Nope. Never heard of anyone getting it but the shots must protect you from something or everything. I had a rabies exposure a few weeks ago and the first thing the doc asked about is if I was up to date with tetanus. WTF.
By the way getting rabies shots sucks. 

35 mins ago, bob_G said:

I would guess that it's extremely rare due to an effective vaccine that is generally accepted as safe, and that people who may routinely be exposed to situations where they could get Tetanus are smart enough to get the vaccine.

Got skunked for the first time this month, which is honestly surprising since I'm still a newb. Tried my usual high tide spot at dead low and the fishing was dead too. Oh well, I got to see what makes this spot tick and what the structure is like in the channel, so no regrets! Gonna be back later this week for the new moon. Hopefully the big bunker I stumbled into hang around until then, cause it might just get interesting :)