FISH REPORT 2022 Cape Cod Bay to the Back Side of P town, "sand eel city"

Rate this topic

codfish

flounder are smaller and have mouths like a sucker.  small, round, hard bone, no teeth, “lips”.

fluke are generally bigger, have a jaw and teeth (nasty teeth!).

where you are fishing and with what bait/lure can also pretty well determine what you will and will not get.  cape cod bay with a small hook and little bits of clam or sand worm - flounder.  sandy beach or S of cape cod / rhode island, NY, NJ with any lure or a sand eel, spearing, squid strip, etc - bigger than a finger tip - fluke …:)

56 mins ago, nicknotsebastian said:

flounder are smaller and have mouths like a sucker.  small, round, hard bone, no teeth, “lips”.

where you are fishing and with what bait/lure can also pretty well determine what you will and will not get.  cape cod bay with a small hook and little bits of clam or sand worm - flounder.  sandy beach or S of cape cod / rhode island, NY, NJ with any lure or a sand eel, spearing, squid strip, etc - bigger than a finger tip - fluke …:)

Nice explanation. Is slot size 16.5 for flounder? From your description, I assume what I caught was fluke.

20220515_012637.jpg

1 hour ago, nicknotsebastian said:

6 flounder yesterday seaworms were the bait of choice

41 mins ago, ifishthebadspots said:

Nice explanation. Is slot size 16.5 for flounder? From your description, I assume what I caught was fluke.

20220515_012637.jpg

That looks like a windowpane flounder, but I’m not positive. 

Edited by Fitzy

3 hours ago, Fitzy said:

That looks like a windowpane flounder, but I’m not positive. 

i was just gonna say that!  its def a windowpane flounder.  were you fishing in cape cod bay ?  they have been coming back strong the last couple years.  they are actually a “prohibited to keep” species.

for your other question - flounder (n of cape cod so cape cod bay etc) is 12” and 8 per person per day.  if you are e or s of the cape its still 12” but limit is 2 per day per person.

no closed season n of the cape.  e and s of the cape it closes only either january or february or both - something like that.