Pitt710Z

8th Ave Jetty requiem

Rate this topic

25 posts in this topic

There's bass on almost every jetty tip almost all year long. I'm sure its not like what it used to be but the fishery has changed too. YOY numbers have been horrible for several years in a row. I feel like conservation of the species and pushing C&R, stricter regulations are fight we need to be more all in on instead of beach replenishment. Beach replenishment isnt going anywhere. Lets control what we can control. Protect the breeders, cut down on poaching, protect the spawning season for example. 

It's not just SB fishing that suffers. 

I remember seeing this video here years ago. Even with the ok recording quality you can see how vibrant the ecosystem of a healthy rockpile is.

On 1/3/2022 at 11:34 AM, Sudsy said:

Anyone born after 1980(ish) has no idea what they missed

It’s not the same everywhere regardless of the beach replenishment. Block Island and Montauk are not the same as well..

If there wasn’t the beach replenishment there would have been less fish now because too many stripers would have been killed on those jetties just like the massacres 15-20 years ago..

On 1/3/2022 at 0:23 PM, jerseystriper said:

we can all moan and groan about sand replenishment. Its not going away and its not ending anytime in foreseeable future. Its here to stay- I moved here from NYC in Sept 1991 and it was a fishing/surfing nirvania  from Sea Bright to Hathaway ave. I had wasted to many years traveling down to LBI to surf when I had better surfing and way better fishing an hour closer to the City or a previous location in Bergen County. So be it, and yea it sucked in 1995 or 1996 when sea bright/monmouth beach jetties were buried under sand and it just went on further south. Yesterday I was fishing and watching the surfers, I personally can not handle to cold water anymore, but for anyone who did not know what the section of beach I walked in afternoon looked like even 10 years ago when the ocean used to lap up against the wood walls, one could not have guessed yesterday that any sand had ever been put down. Ocean waves were great, surfers enjoying and plenty of jetty pockets to fish.  Lamenting about the past will not get fish today, adapt to what is the new normal. 

Thank you someone gets it.  

With all the doom and gloom about the 8th Ave jetty as of today that part of replenishment has been completed with Very few Changes. They added to the Beach height and did not Bury or damage any of it.  One can see it Live at        New Jersey Beach Cams  click Asbury Park Beach Cam They have moved up to Lockarbor going north,

And to those reminiscing about the old days Go on Youtube  -- Surfing and fishing at the north end of Asbury Park Beach 4/6/14 it will show very little changes to that area. Photos are the Flum reconstruction 2006 that made improvements,  That area has more Surfers and Dogs than Fisherman, My grandson is a Regular Surfer with his new Full Dry Suit from 8th Ave to Longbranch all year round and said it changed some, Nut this weekend's NorEaster will see big changes. Photo last week 

Picture 027.jpg

IMG_0778 (1).jpeg

On 1/7/2022 at 9:44 AM, fishless said:

Keep reelecting the same people and you get the same thing.  Last month I could walk around the 8th Ave jetty at low tide.  

Jesus Could wall on water also. :kiss: It does not matter who is elected Beach Replenishments will go on as Property Values will go on higher. 

Fishing Review in the Millions Real Estate in the Billons Elected Politicians in NJ Millionaires.  The Winner Is :howdy: 

Edited by Cheeckakoe

On 1/4/2022 at 5:15 PM, JerseySwells said:

There's bass on almost every jetty tip almost all year long. I'm sure its not like what it used to be but the fishery has changed too. YOY numbers have been horrible for several years in a row. I feel like conservation of the species and pushing C&R, stricter regulations are fight we need to be more all in on instead of beach replenishment. Beach replenishment isnt going anywhere. Lets control what we can control. Protect the breeders, cut down on poaching, protect the spawning season for example. 

Correct there were times a Bass was Missing from every Jetty-Beach, Bay They come they go. for many reasons. Whoever thought Bluefish would be Scarce - Flounder Scarcer-  Flike limited = Black Fish Sea Bass Blowfish - ------Whiting - Ling Absent-  Tuna - Sharks - Saward Fish Marlin Cod Haddock - Crabs Lobster numbers down. Might have missed some :banghd:Natural Oyster History,  Like you said Control what we can control.  No licenses can make any Changes, Comercial Fishery Special Interest Group Lobbyists support politicians and Lawmakers. The favored States get Harvest Size & Limits considerations, Ignoring Local Fisheries, Example Comercial By Catch and Dumping out of season undersized Fish to Die has to Stop. When the mindset is Catch as many as possible by & with any means availible $$$$$$ is part of the Equation, all the other Protections are simply Keyboard Warriors spouting off. :waah: On their own Agendas 

Funny thing about lack of bass here, I was researching fishing for Salmon in the Miramichi river in Canada- A friend of mine from HS and myself have wanted to fish it since High School- We are not getting any younger but now have the money to actually do it- Anyway "they" are bitching that to many Stripers are showing up in their  "Salmon" river.