Pitt710Z

8th Ave Jetty requiem

Rate this topic

25 posts in this topic

Saddened to see what beach replenishment looks like when it came to my town. I’ve had a blast learning to fish the last two seasons in my own backyard here on the famed 8th Ave jetty- now unrecognizably altered  by an army of bulldozers and backhoes dredging sand from beyond and reconstructing what had been a brilliant and accessible spot. 
I understand that all landscapes change with time and with or without man’s interference, but this was just such a crucial slot for resident, visitor, newbie and experienced angler alike that it’s recent alteration warrants a post here in the New Jersey forum!

I’d imagine most anglers on this regional forum have fished this jetty at least once in their lives, and just wanted to share the developments. 
Tight lines from Asbury Park. 

Any before and after pictures? I always wondered why they couldn’t extend the jetties further out and then pump some sand in, but leaving a jetty extension exposed to prevent/slow erosion. The jetties benefited sea life and helped create sandbars that created waves (I’m a surfer too). I grew up surfing in Sea Bright and haven’t surfed there since 1997 when they added 100 yards of sand covering all the jetties. It finally became surfable again in the past few years but definitely not as good as it used to get. The tips of the jetties are exposed again but they only extend into the water at high tide. 

That was one of my stops yesterday trekking south to north - had no idea there were plans to replenish or redesign or whatever ever the hell they were doing. Couldn’t get near it. Sad. 

2 hours ago, bdowning said:

With any luck a few winter storms will take care if it, at least temporarily. Such nonsense.

once it's pumped the damage is done.  even if a few storms wash it all away, it would take years for the ecosystem to bring life back to the jetty.  and we all know the acoe won't let that happen.   

16 mins ago, ctd450 said:

once it's pumped the damage is done.  even if a few storms wash it all away, it would take years for the ecosystem to bring life back to the jetty.  and we all know the acoe won't let that happen.   

I don't like sand replenishment.  That being said, as soon as the rocks are exposed again striped bass will use the structure.  As in, there will be life there immediately.  Perhaps not the same amount of mussels/smaller rock oriented fish, but stripers will be there.  There's always hope.  

Even the little scattered rocks you see on pumped beaches that used to be the tips of jetties hold bass.  Don't give up.

Posted (edited) · Report post

20 mins ago, bbfish said:

I don't like sand replenishment.  That being said, as soon as the rocks are exposed again striped bass will use the structure.  As in, there will be life there immediately.  Perhaps not the same amount of mussels/smaller rock oriented fish, but stripers will be there.  There's always hope.  

Not like there once was.

20 years after the initial series of replenishment, jetty country was almost, but not quite, back to what it had been previous.

20 years !

Now they buried them twice as deep, notched them all and even removed some. It's going to take more than 20 years to come back from this - which I won't be alive for (if I am I'll be blind and drooling)

Edited by Sudsy

13 mins ago, Sudsy said:

Not like there once was.

20 years after the initial series of replenishment, jetty country was almost, but not quite, back to what it had been previous.

20 years !

Now they buried them twice as deep, notched them all and even removed some. It's going to take more than 20 years to come back from this - which I won't be alive for (if I am I'll be blind and drooling)

I'll still be fishing them and catching on the jetty stumps, have to work with what we have.  And they certainly arent lifeless.

1 hour ago, bbfish said:

I'll still be fishing them and catching on the jetty stumps, have to work with what we have.  And they certainly arent lifeless.

Anyone born after 1980(ish) has no idea what they missed

we can all moan and groan about sand replenishment. Its not going away and its not ending anytime in foreseeable future. Its here to stay- I moved here from NYC in Sept 1991 and it was a fishing/surfing nirvania  from Sea Bright to Hathaway ave. I had wasted to many years traveling down to LBI to surf when I had better surfing and way better fishing an hour closer to the City or a previous location in Bergen County. So be it, and yea it sucked in 1995 or 1996 when sea bright/monmouth beach jetties were buried under sand and it just went on further south. Yesterday I was fishing and watching the surfers, I personally can not handle to cold water anymore, but for anyone who did not know what the section of beach I walked in afternoon looked like even 10 years ago when the ocean used to lap up against the wood walls, one could not have guessed yesterday that any sand had ever been put down. Ocean waves were great, surfers enjoying and plenty of jetty pockets to fish.  Lamenting about the past will not get fish today, adapt to what is the new normal. 

23 hours ago, bbfish said:

Even the little scattered rocks you see on pumped beaches that used to be the tips of jetties hold bass.  Don't give up.

Bass will use the structure but will soon leave because all that pumped in sand covers the bottom like a desert thats flat and barren. So the fish have no food sources because crabs and other food are gone.

On 1/3/2022 at 8:10 AM, DelP said:

Any before and after pictures? I always wondered why they couldn’t extend the jetties further out and then pump some sand in, but leaving a jetty extension exposed to prevent/slow erosion. The jetties benefited sea life and helped create sandbars that created waves (I’m a surfer too). I grew up surfing in Sea Bright and haven’t surfed there since 1997 when they added 100 yards of sand covering all the jetties. It finally became surfable again in the past few years but definitely not as good as it used to get. The tips of the jetties are exposed again but they only extend into the water at high tide. 

The jetties benefited sea life - yes. But the extra sand benefits the wallet. And money talks. :niffty: