R.R. Bridge Fisher

Abu speed bullet?

Rate this topic

22 posts in this topic

Can anyone tell by looking if a speed bullet will fit in this ungraded 6000c ?

I am not sure how it all fits together with the spool & shaft and all.

If not the 6000 then I have a more modern 6500 I can check out.

How would I know for sure one would fit before even looking for one?

It's going to be a long winter and I have a lot of extra time to tinker.

Thanks for and info you could provide. 

20220102_152515.jpg

20220102_145824.jpg

20220102_152026.jpg

Posted (edited) · Report post

3 hours ago, R.R. Bridge Fisher said:

Can anyone tell by looking if a speed bullet will fit in this ungraded 6000c ?

It won't fit and is not required.

Your reel is pre-dates those with the (bearings in spool) Ultra Cast design that the bullet would be used with.

Old design still casts really well

If you are in the mood to fiddle, polish the inside of the pinion gear with a pipe cleaner and metal polish to a mirror shine. I refurbed a '74 model and it really made a difference.

The inside of the pinion should not get greased, just a drop or two of TSI321 (or similar) on the spool shaft.

Looks like you aready have nice quality bearings in the end caps; pull the shields out, purge them of heavy lube and oil with a drop of TSI321 (or similar)

Edited by ZAFisher

5 hours ago, ZAFisher said:

It won't fit and is not required.

Your reel is pre-dates those with the (bearings in spool) Ultra Cast design that the bullet would be used with.

Old design still casts really well

If you are in the mood to fiddle, polish the inside of the pinion gear with a pipe cleaner and metal polish to a mirror shine. I refurbed a '74 model and it really made a difference.

The inside of the pinion should not get greased, just a drop or two of TSI321 (or similar) on the spool shaft.

Looks like you aready have nice quality bearings in the end caps; pull the shields out, purge them of heavy lube and oil with a drop of TSI321 (or similar)

The reason I was looking for a change is because this part is worn and I think I could get a smoother spool spin.

What metal polish would you recommend?  Would I have to buy a big container for a small application? 

I'm going to try it out .

20220103_072755.jpg

20220103_072742.jpg

Speed bullet bushing is brass. Smoother than plastic.

You have no plastic to cause drag by rubbing agianst a bearing

Those bushes (5146 on the schematic) are for spacing the bearing(s).

I dont think they are worn at all - they don't touch the spool shaft, they have an  ID larger than the OD of the shaft Iie not worn if they wiggle around on the shaft).

Align them so that the thinner edge/face touches the outside race of the bearing and the flat face faces towards the thin copper shims 5145

I used Autosol, the regular kind, not for aluminium or marine metal, the plain ordinary one.

5146 bushing.jpg

5146 on schematic.jpg

5146 on schematic (LHS).jpg

Edited by ZAFisher

25 mins ago, ZAFisher said:

Speed bullet bushing is brass. Smoother than plastic.

You have no plastic to cause drag by rubbing agianst a bearing

Those bushes (5146 on the schematic) are for spacing the bearing(s).

I dont think they are worn at all - they don't touch the spool shaft, they have an  ID larger than the OD of the shaft Iie not worn if they wiggle around on the shaft).

Align them so that the thinner edge/face touches the outside race of the bearing and the flat face faces towards the thin copper shims 5145

I used Autosol, the regular kind, not for aluminium or marine metal, the plain ordinary one.

5146 bushing.jpg

5146 on schematic.jpg

5146 on schematic (LHS).jpg

thank you

13 hours ago, R.R. Bridge Fisher said:

The reason I was looking for a change is because this part is worn and I think I could get a smoother spool spin.

I think your reel is a 6000 c 

the part you have looks to be a home made "bearing cushion" # 8720 (left side).

you seem to be missing the right side "spool centering bearing "# 8721 ( it's actually not a bearing)...more like a brass cap.

ZA is right in what he's saying, but 5146 is a felt washer used on the abu 6000 no bearings... just bushings. 

Top pic is #8721

bottom pic is # 8720

16A568CA-9208-42EE-9696-E30C3EFE1374.jpeg

419D407E-7295-4A4C-9F1C-4D67824EBD5E.jpeg

Edited by CDubbs
add pic

55 mins ago, CDubbs said:

you seem to be missing the right side "spool centering bearing "# 8721 ( it's actually not a bearing)...more like a brass cap.

ZA is right in what he's saying, but 5146 is a felt washer used on the abu 6000 no bearings... just bushings. 

Top pic is #8721

bottom pic is # 8720

I never saw one of those in the bottom picture 

@CDubbs is right, the brass parts are (both?) 8721 and should be 8721 on RHS and 8720 on LHS

I did a blonde - my 6000C schematic shows the 6000 6000C and 6500C, had not looked at it in a while and took screen shot of the 6000 in error. Apologies.

Still say line them up so that the skinny face touches the outside race of the bearing.

Very similar to how Penn spaced bearings in the old Mag Power bearing caps, but them in backwards and the bearings dont work as they should.

I got these 2 parts today and installed them. 

Just a couple quick casts in the driveway and feels like it's spinning better and it was good before. 

Cannot wait for open water. 

22 hours ago, R.R. Bridge Fisher said:

I got these 2 parts today and installed them. 

Just a couple quick casts in the driveway and feels like it's spinning better and it was good before. 

Cannot wait for open water. 

I found a 8270 in a pile of spare parts I got some time ago from someone giving up on Abus - the wings threw me off and it took me forever to figure out what it was. Thought I had seen every Abu part around - that one confounded me.

On 1/3/2022 at 9:30 PM, CDubbs said:

Top pic is #8721

bottom pic is # 8720

These parts, If I remember , are scarce and not easy to find. I glommed up a bunch of the bottom ones years ago. :howdy:

On 1/3/2022 at 10:27 PM, R.R. Bridge Fisher said:

I never saw one of those in the bottom picture 

About 15 years ago they were scarce:howdy: