The 2022 Tavern Victory Garden Thread

Rate this topic

MitchellNJ

going to narrow down what I grow to just a handful of varieties of each thing.  after 15 or so years of growing 40-50 different types of tomatoes I kinda know what I like and don't like.  same with peppers - love the crazy stuff but my family really only uses the mild powders, and I have enough dried superhots to last 10 lifetimes.  

like Jon, I think I'm goign to try to grow fewer plants better as well, instead of packing as much stuff into the garden as I can.  it always gets out of hand and unmanageable, and my dreams of a nice, clean, well-kept garden go to **** by august and it ends up being a jungle.

I've done stuff I ain't proud of, and the stuff I am proud of is disgusting.

Ditching an ugly fence and moving beds about 10ft.  Definitely cutting back on tomatoes and peppers.  And definitely not starting 4 times what I can actually plant.  

"I have ... put a lump of ice into an equal quantity of water ...  if a little sea salt be added to the water we shall produce a fluid sensibly colder than the ice was in the beginning, which has appeared a curious and puzzling thing to those unacquainted with the general fact."- Joseph Black

13 mins ago, MitchellNJ said:

What month did you start the cukes?

May/june i think.  You can just keep planting seeds.  They grow fast.  My grandfather used to just keep planting more all season.

Delete from SOL_Users where username like 'wasy','Seal'....

13 mins ago, EBHarvey said:

going to narrow down what I grow to just a handful of varieties of each thing.  after 15 or so years of growing 40-50 different types of tomatoes I kinda know what I like and don't like.  same with peppers - love the crazy stuff but my family really only uses the mild powders, and I have enough dried superhots to last 10 lifetimes.  

like Jon, I think I'm goign to try to grow fewer plants better as well, instead of packing as much stuff into the garden as I can.  it always gets out of hand and unmanageable, and my dreams of a nice, clean, well-kept garden go to **** by august and it ends up being a jungle.

Exactly.  I cant walk out there when it starts screaming.  Past couple years I've had issues with new pests like onion maggots.  Hopefully by not growing some things for a year those pests vanish.

Delete from SOL_Users where username like 'wasy','Seal'....

I’m hoping to get a break from powdery mildew, blights and those effn maggots when I move the beds and give plants a little room.  Garlic is in a different bed which I hope helps but that’s been moved every year anyway.  Haven’t figured out how to fence that doesn’t get choked with weeds yet. 

"I have ... put a lump of ice into an equal quantity of water ...  if a little sea salt be added to the water we shall produce a fluid sensibly colder than the ice was in the beginning, which has appeared a curious and puzzling thing to those unacquainted with the general fact."- Joseph Black

31 mins ago, JimW said:

I’m hoping to get a break from powdery mildew, blights and those effn maggots when I move the beds and give plants a little room.  Garlic is in a different bed which I hope helps but that’s been moved every year anyway.  Haven’t figured out how to fence that doesn’t get choked with weeds yet. 

Apply Sf nematodes and root maggot problems are gone for 3 or more years onions, leeks and  and brassicas.   Brand shown is on Amazon but searching will find better pricing

d335d1d5-c352-4d9c-b731-28866ec178bd_1.9ffc8f8ab47e66b46adea6b0b7146607.jpg

I've been reading about edible pumpkins. 

Turns out most pumpkins were grown for eatin up until the late 60's - 70's then they mostly were grown for decorating. 

I'm going to try some lakota pumpkins, long Island cheese, etc.

If anyone wants some sugar rush peach pepper seeds, send me  pm with your mailing address. 

12 mins ago, shb said:

I've been reading about edible pumpkins. 

Turns out most pumpkins were grown for eatin up until the late 60's - 70's then they mostly were grown for decorating. 

I'm going to try some lakota pumpkins, long Island cheese, etc.

If anyone wants some sugar rush peach pepper seeds, send me  pm with your mailing address. 

We should talk about seed sharing.  I have a bunch of seeds.  Not sure what you get saving hybrid seeds but I have very pumpkin like squash seeds.  Squash was really good. 

F6339B2F-DED3-4DD9-AA93-7A9CC421CE21.jpeg