bronson

okuma voyager surf travel rod. anyone?

Rate this topic

20 posts in this topic

id like to know how it compares to the Albright (my favorite travel rod) or the st Croix 4 pc (a broomstick inho).  also does it feel like a Rockaway ?

Hi there

I have the 3 older surf travel models, 9M, 10MH, 10H.

They are a lot of rod for the money. I intend on getting the new 10H soon. I handled it and it is nice.

The 10H is powerful. You cast a 3 ounces popper miles. Plenty of fighting power.

Same travel length.

Cheers

On 1/2/2022 at 0:35 PM, snapper1 said:

They are a lot of rod for the money. I intend on getting the new 10H soon. I handled it and it is nice.

The 10H is powerful. You cast a 3 ounces popper miles. Plenty of fighting power.

You handled the new Okuma voyager travel rods?  Are they the same blank or were they able to lighten things up a little?

I don’t use the Voyager but use the 9” Nomad  and 11’6” SST Travel rods from okuma.  The Nomad is a moderate rod that has handled lots of different Caribbean fish. Both rods are fun to use and pack up nicely in a baseball bat bag for travel.

24 mins ago, Samak said:

I don’t use the Voyager but use the 9” Nomad  and 11’6” SST Travel rods from okuma.  The Nomad is a moderate rod that has handled lots of different Caribbean fish. Both rods are fun to use and pack up nicely in a baseball bat bag for travel.

thx for the reply .....seems like in videos it is pretty moderate. thx

Posted (edited) · Report post

15 hours ago, cbinvb said:

You handled the new Okuma voyager travel rods?  Are they the same blank or were they able to lighten things up a little?

Yes, handled it briefly about a month ago at the shop. Weight wise, I can't tell really. But fit and finish as well as components is top notch.

11 hours ago, bronson said:

is it moderate?

The 9M is moderate. The 10MH and 10H are moderate fast. Just my opinion.

I use 4500's on the 9 and 10MH, and a 6500HS on the 10H.

Hope that helps.

I should receive the new 10H in about 2 weeks...

Edited by snapper1
additional info

3 hours ago, snapper1 said:

I should receive the new 10H in about 2 weeks...

Oh yea?  Would you mind listing the length of the collapsed rod, without the travel case? I need to get stay under 33", but I know the travel case for the 10' models is like 35", so I'd be traveling without.

Also, can you get a weight of the 9ft rod?  I have that one and can compare weights to see if they used lighter blanks.

Edited by cbinvb

19 mins ago, cbinvb said:

Oh yea?  Would you mind listing the length of the collapsed rod, without the travel case? I need to get stay under 33", but I know the travel case for the 10' models is like 35", so I'd be traveling without.

Also, can you get a weight of the 9ft rod?  I have that one and can compare weights to see if they used lighter blanks.

The three rods that I already own are first generation. I do not have them on hand as I just finished rebuilding the house and the gear has been stored elsewhere.I'll get in touch with my brother for the weights and lengths. As sson as I get the new 10H, I'll post measurements.

5 mins ago, snapper1 said:

The three rods that I already own are first generation. I do not have them on hand as I just finished rebuilding the house and the gear has been stored elsewhere.I'll get in touch with my brother for the weights and lengths. As sson as I get the new 10H, I'll post measurements.

Okay, no rush. Thanks

Just now, snapper1 said:

By the way, first generation 10H is at 119 at TD...At that price it's a steal.

Didn't see any in stock :/

8 mins ago, cbinvb said:

Okay, no rush. Thanks

Got a reply.

Tube is 33.5 inches long for the 10MH and 10H.

Cannot get weight.

Edited by snapper1

53 mins ago, cbinvb said:

Okay, no rush. Thanks

My friend at the tackle shop weighted the NEW 10H...

13.55 ounces (rod only)