MC55

January 2022 Fishing Reports

Rate this topic

469 posts in this topic

Got out there this morning and gave it a good try but nothing happening.  No bird activity or bait to be found.  Hate to admit it but I think that may be my last trip until spring.  Weather forecast from here on out is predicting nighttime temps consistently below freezing so water temps will continually be dropping.  Had real hopes that we would see more action until mid-month, but mother nature took care of that.  Time to head for the cave an hibernate.  

27 mins ago, EricDice said:

It’s probably going to happen because this season seems weeks behind. I haven’t checked the wind & weather yet though. 

Fingers crossed that I at least get a window. Christmas passed and I don’t have the means to butter the wife up with more jewelry, so the oddsmakers are making this a long shot!

We have not even had rat fest this year. That usually takes place the first couple of weeks of December.  I thought I was just coming down NYE to chill and hang out. I had 2 rods a bag of soft plastics and small lures in my car. Talked to my buddy and he said some guys have had fish here and there on pencils. I decided to go get my crate of lures and put that back in the car. I had already washed and put it away for the season. Good thing i did because I got into a 3-hour pencil blitz.  I don't think I have ever caught a fish on a pencil in December.

7 hours ago, Danny1199 said:

I hear ya. I didn't even hold it, so I don't know. I guessed 30.  I have a few more pics I snapped, think one in the pier net. Think it gives a better look, I gotta transfer it to my computer.

Edit: Here ya go. 

20220106_061420.jpg

You have my blessing at saying high 20s.  Gun to my head 28.

First snowfall of the season often equals bass on the beach for the first few hours of it

Just now, Sudsy said:

First snowfall of the season often equals bass on the beach for the first few hours of it

8Ball (RIP) taught me that and it's surprising how often it holds true

3 hours ago, Sudsy said:

Unfortunately, for us down here,  tomorrow is the second. 

Although, I haven't washed/put away my gear yet.

Fished today from 7am-1:30 in my usual spots today in OC and found five bass to 26''.  It was very comfortable with the west wind and sun shining. Really nice bass water but it was a bit stained, they took the teaser, Avia's and Bill Hurley eels and you had to find the cuts and holes to catch.  Saw a good handful of fish caught by just a few fishermen.  Its a shame the weather is going to get really cold, it just might shut things down.  I hope not, I love catching bass in January!!  

Nice snow on the beach with a blow out NW wind picking up, water is stained to 200 yards out but rolling nicely with some birds working Will give it a go before the tide drops too far

1 hour ago, BillHoo said:

Anyone seen any Sea Herring in NJ yet?

MC55 Mike said so about mid-late December.

Come January, especially once he hangs em up, the other hardcore guys still hittin it won’t say a peep usually. 

Just an observation but I drove around from route 38 moorestown area to very south New Jersey and did not notice one frozen or even skim ice body of water. I have caught fish when there was ice on the bay in mantoloking around bulkheads. Ocean water maybe not that cold.

I gotta 70 minute ride and (gasp) I fish to eat fish so I am done until possibly next week. Give fish a week to adapt to sudden drop in water temp.

just a tip to newer guys if u have a couple reels spooled with braid and think u need new braid toss older braid then tie other reels braid to backing on reel u just tossed braid and spoil on. The braid underneath is like brand new and crap from top becomes backing. Save a few bucks