January 2022 Fishing Reports

Rate this topic

MC55

26 mins ago, bbfish said:

Was the guy actually white perch fishing? Or was he throwing something obviously targeting bass?

Interesting. I'm not out in the back this time of year but I'll be out in the Delaware River in April like usual. Crazy they don't write tickets for us river rats but glad they don't. Still seems grey. I dislike the word take. A guy could say he isn't attempting to take anything because he just is catch and releasing. Either way ty for the response the guy who started the conversation elsewhere deleted the post so the discussion ended lol

Edited by hurricane1091

Managed to ditch the surfers & fat kid on the paddleboard eventually , for some solitary glorious January surf casting, dawn to dusk, CentralOC to NoMC. Troughs, holes, hard structure, rips …. Threw the bag at ‘em. Skunkholio … 

Snagged a big ass bunker around hour 9 and nearly cheered … hopefully get out later this week. :beers:

Edited by Jeff B
JB ;-)

12 hours ago, TinyTrout said:

https://www.nj.gov/dep/fgw/pdf/2021/digmar21.pdf

Look at page 12 of the 2021 NJ Saltwater Digest. It says no person may “attempt to take” and then define the boundary lines for back/front waters. 

”Striped Bass Closed Seasons

No person may take, attempt to take, or have in possession any striped bass from the following closed waters:

Jan.1–Feb. 28: All waters closed except the Atlan- tic Ocean from zero to three miles offshore. All inlets and bays are delineated from ocean waters by a Colregs Demarcation line.

April 1–May 31: Delaware River and its tributar- ies closed from the upstream side of the Calhoun St. bridge downstream to and including the Salem River and its tributaries.

Note: Non-offset circle hooks are required to reduce striped bass release mortality while fish- ing with bait. See page 5 for more information.”

Whats the Colregs Demarcation line?

Pfantum Pfishah

5 mins ago, bdowning said:

Whats the Colregs Demarcation line?

To put it simply, it is what delineates the “back bay” from “out front” waters.

Maybe someone can explain it better, but I believe it has to deal with local/international boating conventions that countries are expected to follow. 

You can find a few interactive maps which will show you these lines online. 

10 hours ago, hurricane1091 said:

I would very much enjoy seeing a picture of a striper on a snow covered beach. Rooting for whoever can pull that off boys

Here’s a little guy from 2017 . . . 

9B8A8C8A-C9B1-4044-88F3-437430FB2BD4.jpeg

"Starving dogs begging for scraps. The big picture is not important as long as we can get our scraps."

MONCO- made the drive & tried from 4-8:30pm. Loads of surfers before sunset- but still plenty of room around the rocks. Wind change & approaching storm had great potential. Worked 5-6 jetties & cuts with no success. 

Looked great & I'm glad I went. Went from fall to winter pretty quick. Didn't see one other person fishing.

2 mins ago, hurricane1091 said:

Love that lol was anyone else out there?

Lol. Me and my insane friend were. We fished into the dark.  We were both frozen to the core, but the fishing was stupid (even though it was dinks) and neither of us wanted to be the first to tap out. He eventually did and I said thank god :laugh:

3541B979-8DF2-45A2-9F0C-3BC5549A4C7A.jpeg