MC55

January 2022 Fishing Reports

Rate this topic

469 posts in this topic

52 mins ago, RiverCommando215 said:

Ladies and gentleman I have no report.
I just wanted to say last season was a blast, and to all those i met in the dead of night it was a pleasure.  The best memory beyond fish was helping a 78 year old use a rope to rappel down into the rocks since he couldn’t do it free footed.  The greatest lessons are learned with humility and joy.  Wishing you all a warm winter and tight lines in the spring.

RC

Yeah but how'd he get back up?  :hooked:

Glad you had a good season :howdy:

1 min ago, daves745t said:

Yeah but how'd he get back up?  :hooked:

Glad you had a good season :howdy:

He Climbed back up with the rope which was secured to a fixed Boulder.  
That guy ran the worst of the worst with us.  It’s so wonderful seeing an old salt show you how it’s really done.  None of that instaface hero crap.  Just tides and tenacity!

RC

Posted (edited)

Reminds me of a something I witnessed during a good sand eel bite about 15yrs ago - I'll never forget it.

A good crowd - Everybody is hooking up about every 10 minutes.
About 40yds to my right I see an Oldtimer, had to be 80s, all hunched over hobbling out using a collapsible stool (two U shaped tubes connected by a canvas seat) as a cane. I yell YO! down the beach to a guy standing to his right. He sees the guy and helps him set up. Oldtimer plants his stool, aims his butt, and successfully comes down hard and fast but OK.
I can see he has what looks like a 5ft boat rod. I point and joke with my buddy "That's us in 20 yrs". Minutes later eying hookups up and down the beach, I see the Oldtimer is hooked up. He's gets pulled off his stool still standing moving towards the water. I yell YO! again down the beach. The same guy next to him helps him back to the stool. Five minutes later YO! again. I get a an arm up and distained look from the guy. I point to the wash where all you can see are two legs and a rod tip thrashing around. The same guy runs over, pulls him out. The Oldtimer staggers to his feet and continues to fight the fish. Next, I see he lands what looks like a nice 12lb fish. He gets the fish on a rope, holds up his rod up in triumph to us around him, and all hunched over, joyfully staggers off the beach dragging his catch.
All this takes place in about 30 minutes.  

Edited by Duff

On 1/15/2022 at 4:10 PM, MEF said:

went for a walk along the river today, sans fishing rod of course. found this little gem washed up on shore. gonna clean it up and throw it in the bag

89ECF864-3B59-48BE-9D56-25A6B89F39F5.jpeg

Finding that is like catching a 25lber.

went for a walk along the river today, sans fishing rod of course. found this little gem washed up on shore. gonna clean it up and throw it in the bag

Awesome find. If you find a red head spin atom, let me know because I miss it.

4 hours ago, Irishfire18 said:

idk haha. i think i have more 25 pounders under my belt than washed up scabellys at this point

16 hours ago, Irishfire18 said:

Maybe rarer than one.:shaky:

Naice!!!!! Definitely a rare find.. 4 or 5 years old 

18 hours ago, MEF said:

idk haha. i think i have more 25 pounders under my belt than washed up scabellys at this point

Easier to get a 25lber then a Scabelly.

No fish but I did pick up a new rod. St.Croix TSR700MHF. Cold and windy with nothing broke around the house to fix so I took a ride. Passed my local tackle shop and there were cars in the lot. Turns out they are planning to do some inside work so I took a look around. Picked up some hooks, swivels, floats and then I passed the rod racks. This one felt great and my imagination ran off with a big fish and now it's home waiting for it's first date with one of my reels.

Was impressed that they have bloods in stock so we are all waiting for this crap weather to break. She asked me when I got home if I really needed a new rod. I said yes and she said why and I said we can do this all day if you like. She went back to her book. :D

2 hours ago, adams54 said:

I'm always amazed how @DoorGunner has the gift making every one of his posts interesting no matter the subject material.

Totally concur. 

I’ve had had those conversations myself and it doesn’t seem to go like “who’s on first”