MC55

January 2022 Fishing Reports

Rate this topic

355 posts in this topic

Fished OC today 2 to 5, nice afternoon and weather cooperating. Water looked good and tried different baits and ended up just taking a long walk, going to give it another try before the weather goes downhill. 

MoCo, dusk bite, top of the tide into the outgoing, bite turned on- picked 3 and dropped two more, 20-24”. Felt water go from slack to ebb and the fish were there. One on black red gill teaser, other two on black/silver hydro minnow. Turned dark despite the bright moon’s efforts and the bite turned off. Would love to hit same pattern before dawn in a few hours, doubtful for me though. 

18 hours ago, hurricane1091 said:

I use the 7' casting MH for fluking and togging and it is great for that so I hope you are right. It sucks they replaced it with the mojo inshore or whatever that has horrible reviews. If they replace one more USA rod with a Mexico rod I might finally try another company but I have no idea who else makes USA rods in the $200-$300 range.

I retired my beat up Tidemaster and went with an ODM DNA for a schoolie spinning rod. Its designed and manufactured in NJ. What i dont know is whether the blank is also USA made. Havent even used the rod yet. But if i try for holdovers in ri this winter ill post a review. 

I'm replacing a cpl of guides on my TM and it'll become my backup schoolie rod. 

Drove down to OC county for dusk. Water tide higher then expected. Nice conditions especially for redfins but nada. Was hoping for some young herring to show nope. Haven’t been down that much but thing I noticed was none of those sand fleas along Surfline which I think may draw in those herring. 

closest thing to a bite was when my dog chased a fox and that wasn’t even close.

2 hours ago, bdowning said:

I retired my beat up Tidemaster and went with an ODM DNA for a schoolie spinning rod. Its designed and manufactured in NJ. What i dont know is whether the blank is also USA made. Havent even used the rod yet. But if i try for holdovers in ri this winter ill post a review. 

I'm replacing a cpl of guides on my TM and it'll become my backup schoolie rod. 

Cool, let us know how you like it. Do you know what kind of warranty that involves? I do enjoy the 5-10 warranties I have on my rods I buy new. Fortunately never needed to use one.

Made the trip north this morning but never found any activity.  Birds were looking around, but they seemed to be having the same luck.  Gave it one more shot closer to home base but nothing doing there either.  Hate to say it but I think this is the time I will hang it up until spring.  With the frigid weather on the way tonight that will put the cap on it for me.  Let's all hope for an early spring this year!

One tiny today, adult bunker along the beach Once that N fan got turned to high I was off the beach to avoid the sandblast. Very concerned about Sunday/ Monday; hoping for the best preparing for the worst. Will not be back out for a week

1 hour ago, suntzu said:

One tiny today, adult bunker along the beach Once that N fan got turned to high I was off the beach to avoid the sandblast. Very concerned about Sunday/ Monday; hoping for the best preparing for the worst. Will not be back out for a week

I don’t remember the stiff straight N wind being in the forecast earlier this week when I scouted ahead. Maybe Sunday early. 

Good luck with your storm prep. 

2 hours ago, suntzu said:

Scary forecast. 14 ft seas plus the moon tide. Hope everyone gets through it safely.

A couple smalls down south for me this morning. Tomorrow will be a no go, may or may not give it a shot Sunday but in all likelihood I will be calling it a year. Rod wrapping and bucktail making season and get all the gear prepped for April. I've been a lurker on this site for a long time and only recently started posting some reports. I learned a lot from some of you and figured it's time to start returning the favor.

6 hours ago, MC55 said:

Made the trip north this morning but never found any activity.  Birds were looking around, but they seemed to be having the same luck.  Gave it one more shot closer to home base but nothing doing there either.  Hate to say it but I think this is the time I will hang it up until spring.  With the frigid weather on the way tonight that will put the cap on it for me.  Let's all hope for an early spring this year!

Since this is your second End of Season post, I assume it's the last. The Committee is concerned that you're setting a precedent with ongoing announcements. of you annual retirement from the fishing scene. Please confirm in writing to the Committee.

16 mins ago, nam1969 said:

Since this is your second End of Season post, I assume it's the last. The Committee is concerned that you're setting a precedent with ongoing announcements. of you annual retirement from the fishing scene. Please confirm in writing to the Committee.

This is funny, LOL

Skunked looking for WP today. I was bank bound and I feel like I just couldn't reach them if they were there. Had success previously at this spot, the current was ripping but this spot has a nice eddy. I think I may have to move further toward the freshwater part of the river. Saw beautiful wildlife including some diving waterfowl, looked like cormorant type birds. Also saw a thing mangy fox that looked lost. Could have been rabid or just starving. It was on the opposite bank so it posed no threat to me. Temps are taking a nosedive