January 2022 Fishing Reports

Rate this topic

MC55

I would love to keep fishing for them. I’m 100% catch and release, crushed barbs etc. but I assume the poaching would be worse and all those people who love taking a million pics of bass they dragged over rocks and dry sand would be out and accidentally killing many of our resident bass so maybe we need to give them a break. 

1 hour ago, saltyh2ofly said:

Caught lots of fluke on sinking shrimp flys while striper fishing in the back water areas. They will also enhale mole crab flys out front.

Mole crab fly. That’s a great idea. Got any pics?

I “tied” a weighted hook into a mole crab pattern, never used it, left it outside at the in laws former shore house and it rusted through. (Thought it was a SW hook but I guess not!!)

29 mins ago, Mr.Belmar said:

I think I have that rod, and used it for many years- the med-heavy version like 6’6 or 7. I have taken some big stripers on that rod- your gonna love it! 

I use the 7' casting MH for fluking and togging and it is great for that so I hope you are right. It sucks they replaced it with the mojo inshore or whatever that has horrible reviews. If they replace one more USA rod with a Mexico rod I might finally try another company but I have no idea who else makes USA rods in the $200-$300 range.

45 mins ago, Allejo said:

I would love to keep fishing for them. I’m 100% catch and release, crushed barbs etc. but I assume the poaching would be worse and all those people who love taking a million pics of bass they dragged over rocks and dry sand would be out and accidentally killing many of our resident bass so maybe we need to give them a break. 

I'll give em a break when I'm dead

11 mins ago, Allejo said:

Poaching is illegal regardless. If they’re not out year round, it’s only due to the cold - not the rules. 

8 hours ago, Allejo said:

My pet peeve. As many here know:wave:

"Russian War Ship.. go f*#k yourself"

Fished from 5pm until 8pm. I called it early. Usually is gut it out until 1am. Three fishy looking beaches in three different town which typically have been good to me late in the season. For goodness sake do I miss some of those jetties. I thought thought the bay ice might change the fish out front. Maybe I should have used a teaser but no hint hit a 3.5in paddle tail either. Info from a buddy said not to bother moving north.

Sometimes I pride myself in being able to end the season on fish but sometimes the true fisherman’s way would be fish until you only skunk and you really know it’s over. Tonight I’m going with the late though I know someone will post fish tomorrow, lol. 

Hurricane1091.  You mentioned USA made casting  rods.  You should check out Falcon.  They make mostly freshwater bass rods, but I have been using their spinning rods for like 30 years now. Super good product in the $100 range.  The Shimano Compre rods,while not USA made, are fantastic as well. I have a few of their casting rods.