MC55

January 2022 Fishing Reports

Rate this topic

355 posts in this topic

Lazy, didn't wake up early, hit the beach around 9:45 OC, about 1/2 way through outgoing.  Beautiful conditions, good waves, first skunk of the year!

Spent a lot of time with bucktails and a white paddle tail but no go.  

Lots of surfers, too.

Out front in lower OC from 6-8.  Nice water, just a tad stained.  Threw everything I had and finally managed a 22” on the chicken scratch YoZuri Hydro minnow.  Hit it in the wash.  Several others where I was but saw no other hookups.  This will probably be my last outing since the weather is taking a nosedive.  Gonna be bored without any flea markets.  

Rather quite out there this morning.  Good conditions but never saw any bird activity or bait swimming around.  Thick fog made for an interesting drive early.  Did avoid the skunk getting one in the low 20 inch range on the teaser.  Cold and snow on the way tonight which could further slow things down.  Next outing for me will be Tuesday morning.

Lower OC three on mambo. Southern swell flattened beach took away a lot of definition. Lotta busted up cabbage. Not ideal mambo conditions but closer to the bottom the more weed.

09F7AD00-D53D-4E93-962D-005D69B77F32.jpeg

266A4ECC-A947-4382-9A7E-2D6BEF332803.jpeg

2 hours ago, Jeff B said:

Who turned on the surfer light? Holy hell, stepped over two, around three, asked one guy to please avoid the deployed fishing line that should’ve been obvious, & nearly snagged the tubby kid on the paddleboard ! 

Going for lunch, & hopefully these dingleberries will clear out on the ebb. :banghd:

BTW, snagged tubby surfers don't count To big a target To easy. If you can snag a skinnier one as they shoot by on a board, that's ideal. Good luck.

Got a late start at NoMoCo this AM. No wind, middle of outgoing. Nice clean water. Found a mini dink fest for about 10 min and that was it. Hits were real light. Felt like fluke hits. Ended up 3 for 4 to avoid the skunk. Went to 2 other spots in MoCo but nada.

1 hour ago, MC55 said:

Rather quite out there this morning.  Good conditions but never saw any bird activity or bait swimming around.  Thick fog made for an interesting drive early.  Did avoid the skunk getting one in the low 20 inch range on the teaser.  Cold and snow on the way tonight which could further slow things down.  Next outing for me will be Tuesday morning.

I think it’ll kick things up a little

What's the actual rule here? Like striper fishing is "closed" in the back but that's mostly just a harvesting thing I'm convinced because it "closes" in the Delaware river and tributaries after 3/31 and everyone is still out there (myself included) striper fishing. Is there anything concrete that actually says you are literally not allowed to even make an attempt at catching stripers in the back right now?

I mostly ask because I saw a pissing contest elsewhere with no real resolution. Figured someone here would be more likely to provide a good answer.

Posted (edited) · Report post

Fished O.C outgoing  sunrise till about 10am. No sign of bait so we definitely had to work for them ,Hard sweep from south to north but conditions were fishy. On the board in 2022 with some shorts on paddles.

Screenshot_20220102-095549_Instagram.jpg

Edited by dtracy43

10 mins ago, hurricane1091 said:

What's the actual rule here? Like striper fishing is "closed" in the back but that's mostly just a harvesting thing I'm convinced because it "closes" in the Delaware river and tributaries after 3/31 and everyone is still out there (myself included) striper fishing. Is there anything concrete that actually says you are literally not allowed to even make an attempt at catching stripers in the back right now?

I mostly ask because I saw a pissing contest elsewhere with no real resolution. Figured someone here would be more likely to provide a good answer.

Its illegal to target stripers in backwaters.  If you were to catch one as bycatch while white perch fishing it's fine as long as you immediately release.  However if the game warden catches you fishing for white perch with a hydro minnow they may have some follow up questions.  

3 mins ago, bbfish said:

Its illegal to target stripers in backwaters.  If you were to catch one as bycatch while white perch fishing it's fine as long as you immediately release.  However if the game warden catches you fishing for white perch with a hydro minnow they may have some follow up questions.  

I watched them write people last year (or the year before I forget) in a popular ocean county spot at the end of February. One guy was targeting perch, one bluefish. They got tickets. They were told to take it up with the judge. 

3 mins ago, bbfish said:

What actually says this though? I'm with you but now I'm just having doubts. If we go by the info graphic only then no this can't be the case or else there's no way all of the Delaware river fishermen would be able to go fish in April for stripers. 

7 mins ago, hurricane1091 said:

What actually says this though? I'm with you but now I'm just having doubts. If we go by the info graphic only then no this can't be the case or else there's no way all of the Delaware river fishermen would be able to go fish in April for stripers. 

https://www.nj.gov/dep/fgw/pdf/2021/digmar21.pdf

Look at page 12 of the 2021 NJ Saltwater Digest. It says no person may “attempt to take” and then define the boundary lines for back/front waters. 

”Striped Bass Closed Seasons

No person may take, attempt to take, or have in possession any striped bass from the following closed waters:

Jan.1–Feb. 28: All waters closed except the Atlan- tic Ocean from zero to three miles offshore. All inlets and bays are delineated from ocean waters by a Colregs Demarcation line.

April 1–May 31: Delaware River and its tributar- ies closed from the upstream side of the Calhoun St. bridge downstream to and including the Salem River and its tributaries.

Note: Non-offset circle hooks are required to reduce striped bass release mortality while fish- ing with bait. See page 5 for more information.”

13 mins ago, wefish138 said:

I watched them write people last year (or the year before I forget) in a popular ocean county spot at the end of February. One guy was targeting perch, one bluefish. They got tickets. They were told to take it up with the judge. 

Was the guy actually white perch fishing? Or was he throwing something obviously targeting bass?