MC55

January 2022 Fishing Reports

Rate this topic

469 posts in this topic

Happy New Year!

Report as little or as much detail as you would like to provide the reader but please don't post specific street names or areas.

A specific spot is too much information!
It's not like telling a friend or two, posting it here is telling thousands. Doing so only creates crowds, garbage, and loss of our spots.

For example, you can say that you caught fish in Ocean County but saying that you got them at Ocean Beach is a no-no.

The terms to use are..........
Monmouth County
Ocean County
Atlantic County
Cape May County
North Jersey for the Hudson and other backwaters.

County name plus "In the back" for Inlets, Rivers, and Bays.

Try to keep other conversations, inquires, and rants in separate threads.

40 mins ago, MC55 said:

Starting the year off on the right foot.  Went back to the north country this morning and there were still fish to be found.  First fish caught for me this year was a 31 incher followed by a couple of 28s and 2 in the mid 20 range.  Birds working well offshore and never made a move to the sand, but there was enough forage around to draw a few in.  Looks like we have one more warm weather morning tomorrow before the bottom drops out.  Will probable head back in the same direction in the morning.

DSCF3813.JPG

DSCF3814.JPG

Nice!   The top fish has the broken lines of a hybrid.   Pretty unusual to see.  

NoMoCo 7-10am. Went 1 for 3. Landed the 19”. Tried my SP, Darter, Shad (bunker look) and jig head with 7” shad body. Got a bump on the SP and Shad. Landed the one on the blue over white Shad body. A little rain the whole time but it wasn’t bad due to the 50 degree air. 

30D056EF-779C-4267-9C26-6CF5D0B0446D.jpeg

went at sunrise to a N/MC beach- no love for me- went back to at 330 and picked up a couple of 22 inchers quckly and thought I was onto to something- nothing after that on 8wgt- spin guy had a couple- looked like he was tossing avi's from the way he was working rod. 

I did not intend to go out today because I wasn't feeling great and we were heading back to NY, but saw some birds working and ran to the beach and landed my first 3 for the new year. 

Blessings and Happy New Year!!

IMG_0674.jpeg

Fished OC in the morning, plenty of guys fishing but no fish around me, went back at 3:00 with the same result, at least it’s not cold.  Give it another try in morning, not ready to hang the gear up yet !  

Made it out this evening in moco from 6 to 9pm. Beginning of the outgoing tide, calm seas, and a slight breeze out of the East.  Foggy with rain from time to time, but it was warm enough so it was comfortable. 

I caught one at about 25" with a small surfster up against a jetty and had a few other hits.  

Posted (edited) · Report post

AM outing produced just one bass that fought well and earned its freedom as I started landing up the beach. Rain was light, clean water, no sun but no birds like yesterday. Hey great way to start 2022 happy to hook up and fish with friends. Tight lines to all.

Edited by saltyh2ofly
Spelling

Wow. This is shaping up to be a decent winter down there. At least until the montreal express moves in for good. 

NoMoCo 8-10am today. Great conditions so was hoping for more, but ended up with two stripers in the 20” range and a Shad. One striper caught on the paddletail and one on the teaser. Shad was on the teaser. Saw a handful of others guys for about an hour but didn’t see any bent rods. Guess I got lucky.

EF2E8A8E-DE63-4159-84C4-EE00C5FCF04C.jpeg

6776E395-1862-4E25-BB55-BA059393E3B8.jpeg

Rough start to the day. Got to my truck this morning and realized I left my waders in the bed of the truck and they were soaked. Had hip waders as back up. 10 minutes in, my rod snaps on a cast. Walk back to the truck to grab another rod. Ended the morning with 4 runts on a 10’6” rod that just dragged them. Interesting way to start the year, but I’ll take it. Now just hope lamiglass customer service is good.

Who turned on the surfer light? Holy hell, stepped over two, around three, asked one guy to please avoid the deployed fishing line that should’ve been obvious, & nearly snagged the tubby kid on the paddleboard ! 

Going for lunch, & hopefully these dingleberries will clear out on the ebb. :banghd:

Moco.. 3 bass 22-24 in. At first light then it shut down.  All on olive/silver SP.. on that note I'm going to in all likelihood wrap up my fall season ..weather about to take a nose dive which means work for me is about to ramp up.. best fall run in a looooonnng time:lg_smile:.  Nice getting to meet and fish with @adams54.. and always a great experience to fish with and learn from my good friend @Eeeeels..   @R.O.G and @MVTee, good to exchange PMs with both of you.. I am sure we will run into each other next spring..  @GeoffT.. kayak together in the spring for sure...and @jerseystriper it's been a long time since we casted flies on the same stretch of sand... Lets try to make it happen in '22. Thanks @TimS and everyone at SOL for providing this excellent platform for us to share our passion and occasionally rant and rave like lunatics.