HillTop

2022 All Things Fly Fishing - (BFD annual)

Rate this topic

157 posts in this topic

On 1/25/2022 at 9:26 AM, titleguy said:

Were you in Waterbury?

I witnessed the very rare "BOB" hatch while fishing for Salmon in the Naugy downstream of waterbury.  Luckily I was standing on Terra firma when it happened.

The bulls were more cooperative this more. Still too damn cold tho. The cuffs of my hoodie froze solid after releasing this fish. Streamers had to be held under water for a to thaw them out if they were out of the water for any amount of time. 

EE81D0D5-DE16-4AC2-88CA-F58DF24101D0.jpeg

D7AA8889-82C0-436C-8364-FAAC5894462A.jpeg

Nice fish, but I’m okay being the guy who says removing fish from the water during periods that cold can have pretty damaging effects on their gills and eyes. Our very own Steve Culton wrote a nice article on it recently, might be worth the read and worth forgoing the pictures.  

21 mins ago, Ftyer said:

Nice fish, but I’m okay being the guy who says removing fish from the water during periods that cold can have pretty damaging effects on their gills and eyes. Our very own Steve Culton wrote a nice article on it recently, might be worth the read and worth forgoing the pictures.  

Do you think that fish is now dead ? 

26 mins ago, Ftyer said:

I get the concern. That fish was out of the water for about 4 seconds. 

11 hours ago, PhillyPhisher said:

The bulls were more cooperative this more. Still too damn cold tho. The cuffs of my hoodie froze solid after releasing this fish. Streamers had to be held under water for a to thaw them out if they were out of the water for any amount of time. 

EE81D0D5-DE16-4AC2-88CA-F58DF24101D0.jpeg

D7AA8889-82C0-436C-8364-FAAC5894462A.jpeg

very nice, very jealous

37 mins ago, Hook I said:

Do you think that fish is now dead ? 

Hard to say without seeing what happened, but if your lungs were damaged and you had no doctor to go to, might you die? It’s probably just best to minimize any harmful effects, especially during weather that provides additional stress. After all, isn’t simply catching the fish enough? 

27 mins ago, Ftyer said:

Hard to say without seeing what happened, but if your lungs were damaged and you had no doctor to go to, might you die? It’s probably just best to minimize any harmful effects, especially during weather that provides additional stress. After all, isn’t simply catching the fish enough? 

So best not to put a hole in its mouth with a hook :laugh:

36 mins ago, Ftyer said:

We’re talking around 18 degrees not negative temps. I feel extremely confident that that fish is currently sitting in a tail out waiting for a whitefish to make a mistake. 

13 mins ago, PhillyPhisher said:

We’re talking around 18 degrees not negative temps. I feel extremely confident that that fish is currently sitting in a tail out waiting for a whitefish to make a mistake. 

Keep catching and keep posting , thanks for sharing , I hung curtains for the big boss yesterday :laugh:

Posted (edited) · Report post

I am a dedicated winter fisherman, but I no longer fish if it below 25F.  The potential of damage to the fish's gills and eyes increases dramatically at 25 and below.  Gorgeous fish Philly.

Edited by titleguy