Sudsy

Looking for a class B or C 4WD RV for IBSP and Shagwong??

31 posts in this topic

Along with a lot of weekend trips and at some point in the next very few years a month+ long cross country trip

We looked at the class B Winnebago ERA BM170A-4WD today. Really nice, sits on the Sprinter frame with the Mercedes Diesel engine but I'm worried at what having to deal with problems on an import engine might entail someday - or is that needless worrying?

Its the first one we've looked at and that's only because the dealer is close to home over on Rt 33 in Millstone (NJ). I'd like to check out more, especially a class C, but finding that in a real 4x4 rather than AWD is not proving to be easy.

Would like to keep the price under $200k all in if possible

Any brands, makes, models we should be looking at - or avoiding ?

5 hours ago, Sudsy said:

Along with a lot of weekend trips and at some point in the next very few years a month+ long cross country trip

We looked at the class B Winnebago ERA BM170A-4WD today. Really nice, sits on the Sprinter frame with the Mercedes Diesel engine but I'm worried at what having to deal with problems on an import engine might entail someday - or is that needless worrying?

Its the first one we've looked at and that's only because the dealer is close to home over on Rt 33 in Millstone (NJ). I'd like to check out more, especially a class C, but finding that in a real 4x4 rather than AWD is not proving to be easy.

Would like to keep the price under $200k all in if possible

Any brands, makes, models we should be looking at - or avoiding ?

I checked out one hit to see what came up Sudsy. Thor “Magnitude” was the first one. Super c built on a F550 platform. 167k.(their price) As with all campers some pluses some minuses. Take a look if you haven’t seen it. It’s significantly bigger than what you looked at, king size bed and great shower. Dealer selling it is a choad if you can get past him to have something to check out.

the 4wheel c’s that always impressed me where literally at the point of shag. They had massive clearance to due it safely. One guy was an old German guy (Dietrich maybe) used to tow his little boat up there and head out to the rips. I bet he’s long gone now.

17 mins ago, Mono said:

I’m sure that you have seen the Winnabago Revel when you were at Colonial.  You should also check out the Storyteller line of RV’s.

The Revel is the next size down from the ERA 

The Storytellers are sweet but are only 19.5' long. The Winnabago ERA is 24' long and is about the smallest we want to go - unless a shorter length is made up for more width

Maybe consider waiting a year or two, many bought during the pandemic, give them a year or two, many will bail out, A nice 2 year old unit  with low miles that went for $200K might fall all the way to $100K in a very short time, most lose about 40% in the first two years of ownership, the rest goes over the next 10 years.

My Mom and Dad were into it, from pop ups, 5th wheels to motor homes. Last one they bought was a new 1997 34 ft. Scott with a pop out L/R, nice, went for $100K new, they put 75K miles on it over 13 years, well maintained (which isn't cheap) and sold it in 2010 for $10K, I wanted no part of it, money pits. Combine that with all the fuel money, campground fees (private clubs too) and maintenance costs, not to mention the work involved,  you could easily buy another home and in 15 years sell out and make a gain instead of absorbing the loss. Of course, they loved it and wouldn't have traded that for any other type of travel, just not for me.  I enjoy the Marriott, for the kind of scratch we are looking at, I can stay a bunch of time and still have $$$ left.  

Of course Shagwong and IBSP have no lodging, not to mention many other necessary places to go if you have the luxury. Best unit for them for extended travel was the motor home dragging a Honda CRV, you'll need a get around vehicle for the long trips.

My folks were into it too, grew up with a sleeps 8 Titan in the driveway, later they downsized to a 28'er - I don't want that. The cost of gas alone at 6mpg would be savage !

We figure we'll use it more if we can do the IBSP thing in the summer, thus the 4WD 

Spoke to the Thor salesperson. He doesn't recommend them for beach driving as they have very low clearance. 

He's been complaining to them for years to raise it since a 4WD with very low clearance makes little sense unless you live where it's always snowing

Checking out the Coachman Gallaria next

Edited by Sudsy

These are pretty much all out

The Mercedes Sprinter chassis and the Ford Transit chassis are AWD 65%/35%. The new 2022 Merceded version is 50/50 but no company is building on them yet, they all run a year behind

Talked to Quigley - I need to find something on a Ford E450 chassis and they can do the conversion

Here’s my rig set up for the sand

F450 converted to super single Continental MPT81 tire 

you can take it off road and it can handle the weight of the camper 

5D7E2A19-4F35-4E27-8CF5-B35B7280E8C8.jpeg

8BFD26D2-3A9B-41DE-898B-AE6DB3A402B2.jpeg

82D01C25-C5CF-45DB-B070-BFCE044C59CC.jpeg

B99CDCDB-C06B-4702-A1BA-8A06283FE215.jpeg

14 hours ago, quest450 said:

Whats the weight of the camper shell?

3 hours ago, richie c said:

Whats the weight of the camper shell?

about 6,000 lbs dry and unloaded, it’s a heavy sob 

On 12/30/2021 at 8:16 PM, quest450 said:

I love it. Can you post some pics of the inside of the camper? Are there three pop outs?