ProKote question.

Rate this topic

Sawzall

Seems like a dumb question but asking anyway, is the inside "plug" supposed to be color coded with the product? I ask because I have two separate mixes that are not setting up at all, after 12 and 5 hours both are wet.  It's perplexing. 

20211229_101421.jpg

"It is required of us that we be tender of the good name of our brethren; where we cannot speak well, we had better say nothing than speak evil."

So is it possible that they put resin, or hardener, in both bottles.  Third batch, six hours and not setting at all.  I assumed I could have made a mistake on the first, but certainly not three times.  I feel stupid.

"It is required of us that we be tender of the good name of our brethren; where we cannot speak well, we had better say nothing than speak evil."

1 min ago, WorcBoy said:

They probably labeled a bottle wrong.

I'd contact American Tackle. I'm sure they will replace it for you. Good people to deal with.

So I'm not just losing it?

Just now, Sawzall said:

So I'm not just losing it?

lol

I don't think so. I've been using pro kote the last few years. To be honest I hated it at first but the more I used it the more I liked it. Pot life is very good, bubble release is very good, it's just sssssslllooowww cure. Even when mixed right. takes a few days to set up completely. Not tacky after 24 hrs but still soft to the fingernail. I let them set 2/3 days before pick up.

If I have a rush repair I use Pac Bay Rod Master. 

It's incredibly unlikely that the bottles are the same product. Given the manufacturing process, that would mean at least 100's are the same way.

I personally started building in 2018, have done probably 30 rods in that time. I never had an issue with epoxy until my most recent build. My threadmaster won't set up. Have figured out it's because of the colder temperatures(unheated garage) and will be working with a space heater for now on + drying in a finished room. 

I routinely finish rods in a room that can hit the 40s at night. I don’t have major problems, it’s just takes a solid 24 hours to cure. Before that, it may still be tacky. 

Regarding the stoppers, they’re not coded to the product, so it’s ok that they’re both red. 

ASMFC - Destroying public resources and fisheries one stock at a time since 1942.

Every bottle of the Prokote part b hardener I've had came with a slightly brownish tint to it. Both of your bottles look perfectly clear indicating the possibility they are both the part a resin.

Even at the 70+ degree temps recommended by PK it will still be tacky at 12 hours, but it should be set up around 8 hours. You certainly shouldnt be able to pour it like your video showed unless the mixing proportions or room temp was way off. 

Any updates or changes since originally posting?

10 hours ago, Al Goldberg said:

I agree that it was two bottles containing the same, resin or hardener.  I hope you didn't coat a fancy wrap.  You can try to carefully wipe it off as much as possible.  Then apply two thin coats of properly mixed finish and let it cure for several days between each coat.

Nothing Fancy - First time since like 2006 I worked on a rod,  so I started with something i didn't have too much invested in.  Worst I'll lose is some underwraps.  Also,  this rod is to start on teaching my kid,  so the wraps look like crap anyway,  he can use the practice. 

Edited by Sawzall