gear snob help

Rate this topic

punkroktownie

I'll use whatever I have to, but, I really do love my high-end stuff. I don't want to use inferior products any longer. I do, however, understand budget restraints, and enjoy seeing people enjoying fishing. (to a certain degree) 

Are there any self-help manuals or good spiritual guides?

I keep puffing out my chest.

9 mins ago, Drew C. said:

Life is too short to fish with crappy tackle

Mike drop....

"A GAMEFISH (which striped bass should be) Is too valuable to be caught only once"...Lee Wulff

When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. When the government fears the people, there is liberty" - Thomas Jefferson

"I'm from the government, and I'm here to help." Most dangerous words in the English language...Ronald Reagan

Guess it would help to center your own experience and realize every other guy is doing the same.

Be it personality, history, advice or results, every guy fishes a certain way with certain gear based off that.

Fish the way you enjoy and feel comfortable, and unless an angler is breaking laws or strewing trash - let em do the same.

Is your education, children's education, healthcare, bank account and retirement inferior or high end? Just curious because those are the things that are more important to me than fishing gear. In fact everything in life is more important than fishing gear. Puffing ones chest out over fishing gear seems rather shallow and pointless. Just a little tough love. Hope it helped. 

2 hours ago, Drew C. said:

Life is too short to fish with crappy tackle

What kind of table are you supposed to use for those little slabs?

Material abundance without character is the path of destruction.
-Thomas Jefferson
There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn't true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.
-Soren Kierkegaard

I pick what I’m gonna use based on the situation. On the rocks or kayak or a pier/bridge I tone it down a notch so I’m not throwing a expensive setup away if I take a spill or have to pull a awkward high stick move. On the beach or somewhere else that’s forgiving, go with whatever your budget allows. The good stuff is always more enjoyable to fish but I enjoy my time on the water a lot more if the fear of losing or breaking something isn’t on my mind. I find myself avoiding some spots if I’m using something too expensive because I’m more focused on my gear than actually catching fish. 

I get the buy once cry once philosophy but I’ve always felt like you won’t enjoy high end gear nearly as much if you haven’t worked your way up from low end gear. I think once you have a few years under your belt and have the experience to make educated decisions on what you need in a upgrade, that’s when it’s time to take a step up and then from there do whatever you want to do.