michael.t

Surf spinning reel

Rate this topic

14 posts in this topic

I’m looking to buy a new spinning reel for a 1-5oz 10’ surf rod this coming year and was wondering what reels you’d recommend. 

My budget for this reel would be maxed at $400. Any thoughts?

I assume you are not going to do any skishing or dunking of your reel, but place have at least some splash protection over Long Cast Capability.

For best splash protection with decent line lay, I use the Van Staal VR series in the dark, as there is agreater risk of the reel being swamped by a wave while releasing a fish.  For daytime, I use either the Penn Spinfisher VI or the Shimano Saragosa with X-Protect, as they will at most get splashed while fishing.  I prefer the Saragosa in the larger sizes, as to me it feels lighter in the hand than the Penn when on my rods and the way that I build them.

The only USA available LC reels are the Shimano Ultegra series - mine are several years old, and basically carp reel, so they have no splash protection. I believe, but am not certain, that there is now available an Ultegra with X-Protect, but if your rod's guide layout is not intended for parallel foot reels, you will experience a wobble sensation when you retrieve.  On a 10ft surf rod, you would want the 5500 size in the LC Ultegra.

Get a used Van Staal or a Shimano Saragossa. Avoid the VR if you get the VS. Shoot for the VS or VSX series.

I would reduce the search to the old Spheros with powerful ratio.Or if you want fast retrieve go to spheros/saragosa sw-a 6k or Slammer iv hs 4k....(vr out of budget:)

+1 for the new gosa 

I've got a little one and it's gotten swamped several of times in the kayak, and it's been dunked a haldful of times climbing off rocks at night and the thing hasnt had the slightest hiccup 

For that price range I would certainly go with a solid sealed reel. Slammer IV, Saragosa, among others. They’ll provide you great performance in the surf. 

For the surf I'd look for a used VS 200, in 5+ years you'll be happy you did....and it'll most likely be worth what you paid for it.

I have a gosa 6k and 10k. Both have been tanks for the last 8 years. Accidental dunks and spray don't seem to bother them,but like any other reel a fresh water rinse and spray oil go a long way