Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Ditch Jigger

LI Surf Seminar

Rate this topic

7 posts in this topic

I received this mailing last week and thought I'd pass it along for anyone who is interested.

CCA to Host Surf Fishing Seminar on February 12th

The East and West Nassau Chapters of the Coastal Conservation Association of New York plan to hold a surf-fishing seminar at Knights of Columbus in Oceanside, NY on Saturday, February 12th from 8:45 am to 4 p.m.

Last year's event was a huge success, and this year should be even better! A full day of surf related activities are in store, featuring one of the most impressive gatherings of local surf fishing expertise, including noted authors/columnists, guides and frequent winners in area surf tournaments. Confirmed panelists already include: Fred Schwab of the High Hill Striper Club, Billy "The Greek" Legakis, Bill Lomnicki of the Long Island Beach Buggy Association, Rich Tenreiro of R&G Tackle, Tom Melton, surf guide and Editor of The Fisherman, Rich Johnson of The Fishing Line, Bill Muller, author of "Surf Fishing with the Experts," and "Secrets of Surf Fishing at Night," Ralph Votta of West End Tackle, Bill Townsend of Paumonak Surfcasters, and John Skinner of Nor'east Saltwater. Also on tap are Paul Melnyk and Bob Jones, past winners in both the Montauk Surf Classic and Montauk Locals Surf Tournaments.

The day begins with "getting started" classes, but quickly changes gears with three roundtable discussions: North Shore, South Shore, Montauk. With each roundtable discussion, a group of expert panelists will walk the audience through a hypothetical season, discussing location-specific strategies. In between the lectures, participants can "Hit the Beaches" by visiting displays dedicated to a variety of Long Island beaches. Talk one-on-one with a local expert, see how they are rigged, and discuss how to approach each location! Lunchtime chats on conservation and beach access is also on the agenda.

Admission is $15 for a CCA member, and $25 for non-member. Lunch is included. Non-CCA members also get a complimentary 1yr. membership to CCA-NY, which includes a subscription to Tide magazine, newsletters, bumper sticker and decal.

Space is limited. Advanced registration is highly recommended. For more information, and to reserve a seat, please call John McMurray at 718 945-2255.

All proceeds go to fisheries conservation efforts through CCA-NY.

End of mailing.

I'm not looking to re-hash any recent "discussions" of the merits of CCA vs RFA, or recs vs comms wink.gif Just posting the info for anyone interested in spending a February Saturday doing something fishing related.

BTW, the NYSF annual show/auction is the following weekend at the Freeport Recreation center on Merrick Road in Freeport, LI. The last two years have been disappointing, hopefully this one will be back to the form of years past.

Next weekend, there's a halfway decent show at the Nassau Collisuem. JCX mentioned something the other day about a get-together there. Not a bad idea if the LI contingent can all fit it in at the same time.

[This message has been edited by Ditch Jigger (edited 01-21-2000).]

I agree with DJ on the Freeport Rec Center show the last 2 years. I was also toying with going to the Nassau Col. show. I'd enjoy meeting you guys. Anytime is good for me.

The CCA seminar sounds interesting. Pretty good list of the "who's who" of surf fishing LI.

Let's see, I'm going to pay $8 plus parking to hear what I can get for free in the "in-person infomercial" anytime I visit the Canal?

Last time Ron was on LI his rod met an unfortunate demise at the hands of a light fixture at the hotel in Islandia. Thus illustrating why the pendulum cast isn't the best choice in "close quarters" smile.gif

I went to the CCA seminar last year and thought it was Okay. They did a decent job of presenting info for the newbies as well as the seasoned guys.

If someones wants to arrange a LI contingent get-together, let me know. Looking forward to meeting you guys face to face.

P.S. JCX and Fred B. have me e-mail. Fred B has my work and home #s.