UncleJohn

Mag Darter problem

Rate this topic

30 posts in this topic

I recently decided it was finally time to change the hooks on one of my 1 oz. Mag Darters.  I carefully weighed the old hook and put on new VMC hooks with the same weight.   I noticed that after I changed the hooks the Mag Darter didn't seem to have the same action.   I figured that I must have messed up with the weight of the new hooks so I switched to another Mag Darter and it swam fine.   I wanted to compare the 2 Mag Darters so I put them on a scale and was surprised to see that one Mag Darter was more than a quarter ounce heavier.   I did a float test and the heavier Mag Darter sank like a stone.     I took the hooks off the heavier Mag Darter and it was still .02 oz. heavier than the other 1 oz. Mag Darter.    

I recently bought 2 of the Large size Mag Darters and have only been fishing one of them.  the last time I fished the 2 oz Mag Darter the action seemed subdued.   So I checked the weight on teh large Mag Darters and the Mag Darter that I have been using was 0.6 oz heavier and it sank like a stone when I did the float test..     

The only thing that I can think of is that my Mag Darters have been taking on water.   Thing is I cannot see any cracks or openings in the Mag Darters where the water would be able to get in .

I was trying to think of some solution to this problem and I thought that maybe if I put it in the oven at a low temp maybe 120 or so for a while that the water would evaporate.  Then seal them up...  I don't know ...   

Check out the photos below and let me know what you think.  Any suggestions would be appreciated 

IMG_8221.jpg

IMG_8225.jpg

IMG_8222.jpg

IMG_8224.jpg

IMG_8223.jpg

Sounds like you might have something extra in there. Is the weight moving freely back and forth? If you jiggle it near your ear

does it sound differently then the good one? If so, you might want to drill a hole in it and empty it out and then reseal it. Just a suggestion. Maybe @scoobydoo could offer more from a professional perspective.

Both Mag Darters sound pretty much the same when I shake them.   I took the hooks off the 2 oz. Mag Darter and on closer inspection I can see small gaps near the belly hook hanger and the tail hook hanger.  I gave it a good shake and small droplets came out of the tail hook hanger.   Been shaking it for a few minutes and now the weight is down from 2.6 oz. to 2.55 oz.     Maybe I might have to drill them to get all the water out and then seal with some thinned out epoxy.    I didn't think that I should have to seal up my lures before using them.   What's up with that ??

Wonder what might be the best spot on the lure to drill    May have to refer to Scooby's video where he cuts them in half  ...      

Edited by UncleJohn

7 mins ago, UncleJohn said:

Wonder what might be the best spot on the lure to drill

Right near the tail should be good, so that when you hold it up right and shake it, the water runs out.  When all the water is out, I would patch all the visible holes and then reseal the whole lure.

13 mins ago, UncleJohn said:

I didn't think that I should have to seal up my lures before using them.   What's up with that ??

Well on the bright side they are reasonably priced, but I guess some bad ones are slipping through. Good luck with it, I've found them to both cast and catch well, I'm sure you'll do fine with it.

27 mins ago, fishless said:

Do you twitch these when retrieving em?  The twitch should still impart action even if they are coming in like a needle. 

Usually I just use a slow steady retrieve, but I would occasionally add a twitch.   I did notice that it was getting some nice casting distance but the action was subdued.   As the tide started ripping, I started to notice some real darting action towards the end of the retrieve.   

I did still catch on the heavy one on the Yellow Mag Darter the last time out, but I would prefer it to be stock weight with the more active action.

20 mins ago, hobobob said:

You might have something there, a loaded mag darter.

Maybe just a little too overloaded.   I like it better stock  ...  Although there are times when a little extra weight is appreciated    Especially rough water or a ripping current 

Edited by UncleJohn

I asked because I have one that has been beaten up bad over the years.  A lot of paint gone, eyes gone, it takes some water but I keep throwing it but just increase the twitch and it still draws em in.  Like hobo suggested.  I consider the water like loading the plug.  The erratic action on the twitch is still there. 

12 mins ago, fishless said:

I asked because I have one that has been beaten up bad over the years.  A lot of paint gone, eyes gone, it takes some water but I keep throwing it but just increase the twitch and it still draws em in.  Like hobo suggested.  I consider the water like loading the plug.  The erratic action on the twitch is still there. 

Hmmm...  Maybe that would be better for rough water or ripping current.  Thing is I mostly use the Mag Darters in pretty shallow water that can be pretty snaggy....

I'm also a little worried that the salt water would rust up and seize the weight transfer system

Edited by UncleJohn

14 mins ago, UncleJohn said:

Hmmm...  Maybe that would be better for rough water or ripping current.  Thing is I mostly use the Mag Darters in pretty shallow water that can be pretty snaggy....

I'm also a little worried that the salt water would rust up and seize the weight transfer system

Don't worry about a plastic plug you can easily replace.  Just consider it an experiment.  I'm using mine in water about 40 yards off the beach and it still works find. 

There are places near the inlet where the channel is on the other side, end of your cast. Sinking plug to the bottom or near bottom, let the current swing the plug along the channel. Of course, you'll need to know where the channel edge is.

2 hours ago, UncleJohn said:

I recently decided it was finally time to change the hooks on one of my 1 oz. Mag Darters.  I carefully weighed the old hook and put on new VMC hooks with the same weight.   I noticed that after I changed the hooks the Mag Darter didn't seem to have the same action.   I figured that I must have messed up with the weight of the new hooks so I switched to another Mag Darter and it swam fine.   I wanted to compare the 2 Mag Darters so I put them on a scale and was surprised to see that one Mag Darter was more than a quarter ounce heavier.   I did a float test and the heavier Mag Darter sank like a stone.     I took the hooks off the heavier Mag Darter and it was still .02 oz. heavier than the other 1 oz. Mag Darter.    

I recently bought 2 of the Large size Mag Darters and have only been fishing one of them.  the last time I fished the 2 oz Mag Darter the action seemed subdued.   So I checked the weight on teh large Mag Darters and the Mag Darter that I have been using was 0.6 oz heavier and it sank like a stone when I did the float test..     

The only thing that I can think of is that my Mag Darters have been taking on water.   Thing is I cannot see any cracks or openings in the Mag Darters where the water would be able to get in .

I was trying to think of some solution to this problem and I thought that maybe if I put it in the oven at a low temp maybe 120 or so for a while that the water would evaporate.  Then seal them up...  I don't know ...   

Check out the photos below and let me know what you think.  Any suggestions would be appreciated 

IMG_8221.jpg

IMG_8225.jpg

IMG_8222.jpg

IMG_8224.jpg

IMG_8223.jpg

As far as hooks go, it’s simple for me.

1/0 5x mustad on the belly on the 1oz, no rear hook

2/0 5x mustad on the belly of the bigger one, no rear hook

probably dumb luck but the first session with the rear removed on the big mag produced a 18 lb fish