NYNistler

Flourescent Tubes to LED Tubes

Rate this topic

10 posts in this topic

We had 3 fluorescent tube fixtures, each with 4 tubes, in our basement. I had thought about getting them converted to led but never had a pressing need. The ballast in one went bad last week, so I texted my electrician relative for advice. He usually talks over my head, because he understands electric, and I do not. When I finally deciphered what he said, I realized that you can cut the wires on the ballast, remove it, reconnect the wires on ones end of the fixture to the live wire and the wires on the other end of the fixture to the neutral wire, and put new LED tubes in the fixture. I bought ten tubes at HD for $46. The first 4-tube fixture took me about an hour, the other two took 5 minutes.  I learned that could also use plug-n-play tubes that will used the ballast, but they are slightly more expensive and use more electricity. Plus, I don't think they would work in a fixture with a bad ballast.

While at HD, I also found 4-port push-in wire connectors. I'd never used them but will never use anything else unless space is an issue (like in a box). Those little babies made the job quick and easy! 

Edited by NYNistler

If the fixtures are easy to do a complete remove and just replace with new, do that. It’s by far quicker. 

if they can not be removed or replaced then do the lamp replacement idea. Just read the paperwork that comes with the led lamp replacement kit. I say kit because you will have to rewire the fixture with new fixture sockets. The home stores have these kits, they are 2 lamps and 4 sockets. 

18 mins ago, saltfisherman said:

If the fixtures are easy to do a complete remove and just replace with new, do that. It’s by far quicker. 

if they can not be removed or replaced then do the lamp replacement idea. Just read the paperwork that comes with the led lamp replacement kit. I say kit because you will have to rewire the fixture with new fixture sockets. The home stores have these kits, they are 2 lamps and 4 sockets. 

I did the lamp replacement, and the kit did not come with new sockets. The existing sockets worked just fine. I only needed to remove the ballasts and rewire. It took me 5 minutes per fixture, with 4 lamper each.  I cannot image replacing the entire fixture would be that quick, easy, and cheap - other than my time, it cost me $46.

58 mins ago, NYNistler said:

I did the lamp replacement, and the kit did not come with new sockets. The existing sockets worked just fine. I only needed to remove the ballasts and rewire. It took me 5 minutes per fixture, with 4 lamper each.  I cannot image replacing the entire fixture would be that quick, easy, and cheap - other than my time, it cost me $46.

That’s why I mentioned if, every location comes with its own evaluation 

Edited by saltfisherman

16 hours ago, saltfisherman said:

What do the kits called?

18 mins ago, foxfai said:

What do the kits called?

The kits I purchased are Halco 4' T8 Type B Dble End BB CW 10P - the only require removing the ballast and reconnecting the wires, you don't have to replace the sockets.  It was a 10 pack at Home Depot with all of the other tube lights. This kit was 10 lamps for $46.

The other kits i saw at HD are single ended. You still need to remove the ballast and reconnect the wire, but I would have needed to replace the sockets with the ones that come in the kit. These kits were 2 lamps for $20.

we sell it all.   led tubes that will work with ballast which is easiest, but you still have a ballast to go bad. the same bulb will work with out a ballast also  8..00each

buy a 2x4 flat panel led drops into the tracs of the suspended ceiling for 70.00   .

there are many ways to solve your problem.

waco or ideal has the best stab in ports to avoid the wire nuts

as for the bulb you posted, i dont see it listed on the orange box site.   color rating,wattage and lamp life reflect in pricing so pay attention to that

the ones we sell are 17 watt 4100 and 2200 lumens rated at 50,000 hours

the box store ones are usually 1800 lumens or less

Edited by coolhandfluke

I bought a dozen from Amazon for $70 that are 18w, 2200 lumen, 5k and single ended. A snap to convert my old shop lites. I'd never use the ones that attach to the ballast, the damn ballast is what dies in those fixtures!

Edited by gellfex