CLFish5

The Big Move - NY to Florida

Rate this topic

142 posts in this topic

SOL

Family has had enough of NYs mandates etc. this is not a political post.

I currently live in NY with my wife and kids. If the kids have to get the vax to attend school we’ll be moving. we’re considering moving down to Florida. We have no idea where to start looking. I’m beginning my research and looks. Naturally I start here…lol

i love fishing and I’ll miss fishing for stripers dearly. I know Florida has some good fishing but where should I begin my search? Would like to fish the salt down there. Would like a neighborhood close to the water with a really good school system. 

anyone that’s done this move or lives in Florida, please chime in. Thank you

Edited by CLFish5

1 min ago, CLFish5 said:

I currently live in NY with my wife and kids. we’re considering moving down to Florida.

You may be better posting this in Florida forum

Based on the nautical charts I always liked the look of Jupiter area. That is where the Gulf Stream comes closest to shore on the East coast. 

13 mins ago, Tailslap said:

Based on the nautical charts I always liked the look of Jupiter area. That is where the Gulf Stream comes closest to shore on the East coast. 

Looks juicy. 

Thanks guys, keep it coming

7 mins ago, CLFish5 said:

Thanks but boat fish don’t count

on this forum, people believe boat fish dont count.

but.... if youre gonna be fish. catching something nice whether this forums users like it or not.

is a good thing.

and if its FL, get a boat, theyre cheaper then in NY overall anyways.

just cause they cant afford a boat, doesnt mean you shouldnt get one. LOL

East coast or keys for fishing purposes. Not that the gulf coast can’t be good, but east coast gives you a lot more options. I like the stretch of coast between Jupiter and Sebastian. If you can manage it with work, keys is the place to be, but I’d be worried about living there in the long term, a few more big storms could really break them down.

I also know that the natural place for New Yorkers to move to is Florida, but man it’s such an overrated state for almost everything but fishing. Yes there’s no state income taxes which helps a lot, but the property taxes and home prices are getting up there, and if you end up near the coast the home insurance is going to shock you. Weather is subjective, but personally I think Florida has amongst the worst weather in the US. Nice for a few months in the winter, unbearable for the rest of the year. Next to no elevation,  majority of the state is an overdeveloped tourist trap, significant water quality issues, list goes on. Now, a lot of people certainly go to Florida and love it, but I’d also at least look into the 12 other states on the east coast outside of NY and Florida. 

If you do go Florida, definitely going to want a boat or at least a kayak. Yes there is surf/inshore fishing, but you’ll be missing out on the vast majority of good fishing Florida has to offer.

Edited by C.Robin

After living in Maryland on the Eastern Shore for 60 years, we moved down here 3 years ago. family is down here also. I am on the east coast. if your looking for a little more quiet and calm I would concentrate from Cocoa down to Fort Pierce. Anything below that and there is alot more people and congestion. Stuart down to Jupiter is nice but alot more people. The ONLY thing I miss is not being able to drive on the beach. there are some areas from Daytona and north that allow that but limited.