Pawww_Snap

Spheros Size - Surf

Rate this topic

12 posts in this topic

Looking for size recommendations for my Okuma Nomad Surf, 10' Heavy. I settled on the the Spheros SW A, but not sure about wherever to go 8k 10k or 14k as they're all within a half ounce of one another. Gear ratio doesn't matter all that much (I'm a fly angler, so anything over 1:1 is screaming). I have a stradic 5K for my HMG, but it feels a little too small on the Okuma. I live and fish in NC, mostly a bait soaker, with an occasional kastmaster fling. Thanks for everyone's help!

14.   The 53 in  per turn for screaming in a tin …. Who cares about the weight if your mainly bait fishing …. This rod w a 14 screams of chasing roosters in Baja. 

A bigger spool, all other things being equal, will cast further than a narrower one. Even disregarding distance to the stripper guide. The 14 is the obvious choice unless you have a preference for gear ratio. 

Edited by RedGreen

I also own the Okuma Nomad 10 ft. rod and paired it with the Spheros SW A 8000 (40 lb. braid). It balances nicely with that rod and is a very good quality reel. My main use is surfcasting 2-3 oz. lures. I presume the 14K would be a bit heavy for lures on that rod, but as you plan on bait-n-wait fishing, you'll be fine and have oodles of extra line capacity. PS: Put a casting trigger on that rod. 

Edited by Capefox

13 hours ago, Capefox said:

I've also own the Okuma Nomad 10 ft. rod and paired it with the Spheros SW A 8000 (40 lb. braid). It balances nicely with that rod and is a very good quality reel. My main use is surfcasting 2-3 oz. lures. The 14K would be a bit heavy for lures on that rod, but as you plan on bait-n-wait fishing, you'll be fine and have oodles of extra line capacity. PS: Put a casting trigger on that rod. 

14k and 8k weigh basically identical, they are the same reel except for a different spool. 

59 mins ago, Snook_Slayr said:

14k and 8k weigh basically identical, they are the same reel except for a different spool. 

Thanks for that info. The 14K would be a better option than the 8K in that case. 

48 mins ago, Capefox said:

Thanks for that info. The 14K would be a better option than the 8K in that case. 

Depends, the smaller reels have a bit more drag and they are also different gear ratios 

Reel arrived yesterday, it's a beast! The drag click sound is very satisfying. "You go in the cage, cage goes in the water..." Thank you everyone for your help! 

I got lazy spooling the thing, filling past the first backing line with 20lb vanish, then 300yds 30lb ssv2. Not even close. I'll do it properly today, fly style, spooling braid first, then backing, then reversing the whole thing.  

@bronson I just listened to Zeno's interview with JM Basile; might have to start saving my pennies for a rooster trip.