Korker Boots?

Rate this topic

18 posts in this topic

What do you like or dislike?
What Model get the job done?
What size up for Gore-tex socks?
What size up for Neoprene?
Does the top model offer anything more?

I like the BOA concept but did Korkers improved the BOA to be less sensitive to sand? 

Edited by nfnDrum

I’ve got redsides and terror ridge. I wear 10.5 and have the 11s. Perfect size for waders and if I don’t have waders I put a 3mm neoprene sock on.  

Redsides are more comfortable and flexible. I wear them on jetties. Terror ridge are still comfortable but the material seems more durable and the offer better support. They’re my go to for rock hopping. My buddy tore up his redsides pretty bad very quickly because it’s a lot softer material. If I could only have one it’d be the terror ridge. 

Avoid the boa for saltwater. The sand is a problem and apparently they can rust which will also ruin them. 

I’ve gone through 6 pairs of Korkers boots. There are pro’ and con’s to each pair and it will come down personal preference and how and how often you use them.

I found the boots with speed hooks and laces will rust and break off. The Greenbacks with the fabric loops will pull right off the boot.

The BOA system is on it’s 3rd revision. It is much better with sand now. It will still get jammed up and dose require a tear down and flush out. Easy to do, only 3 screws.

I wear my Devil’s Canyon with stocking foots and go up to the next size bigger. I’m a 10.5 so I use an 11. The boots will have room for either goretex or neoprene socks.

I like the interchangeable soles. I screw them to the boot at the heal and toe to keep them from getting lost. 

The upper part of the boot will last about 2 to 3 seasons for me. The rubber material will crack and fall apart. Any metal on these boots will rust in salt water.

Korker boots are still my go to but just like waders they are consumable goods.

I found the buckskins are pretty good bang/buck. Just a little more expensive than the greenbacks but last alot longer. Usually order half/full size up with stockingfoot. Would  steer clear of the BOAs for now.

For reference  

Screwed in sole after strap breaks, with some missing cleats 

Laces with rollers + corrosion 

Common places of wear / cracking 

Devil's Canyon and Boa 

I try to avoid sand with the boas, but anytime they've jammed the flat edge of my knife / pliers, +/or a spritz of water bottle has been enough to free them

IMG_20211219_182057622_MP.jpg

IMG_20211219_182008542_MP.jpg

IMG_20211219_182014133_MP.jpg

IMG_20211219_182122203_MP.jpg

IMG_20211219_182200749_MP.jpg

IMG_20211219_182220298_MP.jpg

IMG_20211219_182239517_MP.jpg

IMG_20211219_182259591_MP.jpg

I went through 3 pairs in 3 months. First pair Greenbacks ripped inside the boot after a week. Returned and got the Buckskins. After 30 days they wore away at the toe where the insert goes so the orange was showing. Returned and got the special edition Terror Ridge thinking they would be better. I was happy to see the inside was stiched better, but the bottoms were exactly the same. I was worried it would happen again. After a little more than a month the toe is ripping again. The boots are very comfortable. I like them a lot and they could be great if they strengthened the rubber under the toes. I should disclose that I wore these 6-7 days a week for 5-7 hours a night . The stock soles are junk but the triple threat soles are great. I used carbide spikes with blue loc-tite. Only lost 1 spike. 

Another option to the boots is the korker rocktrax worn over booties. I wear them over the Orvis Christmas island booties and they're great for rock hopping and you can take them off to walk the beach if needed.

7 hours ago, lazzyone said:

I've never gotten a full season out of them. Had four different pairs before I gave up on the brand. Now I just screw in studs to my simms boots. 

This is what I do. I’ve got several seasons out of my freestones and counting, and I also find them to be lightweight and much easier to swim with.

I have limited experience with korkers because I tried one pair and they only lasted 2 months. So to me their durability is a big question mark.

My Greenbacks are on their last legs. Some of the metal hardware (like the d-ring) has rusted out, and the rubber is beginning to tear from the fabric. I'll probably wear them until they literally fall off. They lasted me almost two years. IIRC they're the cheapest so I guess you can't go wrong. 

I have a pair with less than a year on them and the lace rollers and grommets are all starting to rust out. I have rinsed then diligently every time I use them….and then dried them out. There really no reason they should be rusting inside of year. 

I have submitted a warrantee claim, will keeps you posted on how it goes.