Rate this topic

105 posts in this topic

13 hours ago, Buckscorider said:

Found this guy IN MY HOUSE last week.

Glad wifey didn’t see it, jeez.

Released safely outside :)

20220106_130345.jpg

20220106_130328.jpg

My wife would have gone ballistic.  She is petrified of snakes.    She can be working out in the yard and I'll hear an ungodly scream and see her running towards the house.     Then I have to go try and catch what is usually a garter snake....... 

17 hours ago, mikez2 said:

This species is often mistaken for rattlesnakes. Although they are much more common than rattlesnakes, the eastern hognose is still pretty uncommon, rare or non-existent depending on what part of the state you look in.

I did some volunteer work this past season trying to determine the population status of hognose in Middlesex County. I was able to find one single individual in Middlesex (the last picture). I walked two or three hours, a couple times a week, from May to October and found only one. Two others were found by homeowners and reported (not shown).

The three from Middlesex County were collected, documented and a pit tag embedded before releasing them back where they came from. Next season I will hopefully find them again. 

The others shown here were from Worcester County where there is a small but healthy population. They're also found in a small patch of western MA but the strongest population is the southeast part of the state.

IMG_20210705_203035_414.jpg

20210705_133346.jpg

20211007_122151.jpg

IMG_20210909_124457_463.jpg

They are about the coolest snake there is.  Would find them in the pine Barrens (NJ) and watch them play possum after they did the fake rattlesnake bit

On 1/5/2022 at 7:16 PM, stinky1 said:

RV antifreeze works too.

Just be careful if you have pets, antifreeze is deadly. It smells and tastes sweet to them, the same as mice. If you are going to use it as a trap put it up on a table where it can't be accessed by pets. I have a bucket of it out in the shop up on a shelf and it catches 5-10 every fall.

Those using traps, peanut butter is the best bait. It puts out a good scent trail. just a smear on the trigger is all you need. Last weekend we had 3 that came inside, within an hour they were all gone.

Snake/dog story.

About 35 years ago I'm training a new black female lab named Lucy. Best dog I've ever had.

She was about 5 months old, and I was running her through hedgerows connected to field. I see her working around this large boulder. She runs onto the rock, and suddenly comes running back to me with something in her mouth. It was a 4' black snake! 

She had it's body in her mouth, while the rest of it was wrapped around her neck and nose.  She was a flawless retriever with a gentle mouth. She was clearly agitated but the snake, but kept her composure. I reached down as to take the snake from her, giving her the "drop" command at the same time. She dropped the snake, and it slithered off, unharmed.  She was a beautiful dog.

7 hours ago, DMacLeod said:

My wife would have gone ballistic.  She is petrified of snakes.    She can be working out in the yard and I'll hear an ungodly scream and see her running towards the house.     Then I have to go try and catch what is usually a garter snake....... 

I don't get the irrational fear thing, does it come from sheltered upbringing? Snakes are just an animal. Spiders too. When I see em I know they're there to hunt the bad bugs, they're the good guys! Same with house centipedes.

BTW, garters are awesome pets that don't get enough respect, I read that Europeans love them and breed them. They don't get huge and hard to handle like pythons, they don't need fancy climate controls or big terrariums, and you can feed them chunks of fish, fresh or frozen. Just take their personality on capture at face value, some are sweet and calm down easily, and some are monsters! We had one that we kept for a year before release, and he never chilled out. But we had a ribbon that was a sweetheart.

5 mins ago, gellfex said:

I don't get the irrational fear thing, does it come from sheltered upbringing? Snakes are just an animal. Spiders too. When I see em I know they're there to hunt the bad bugs, they're the good guys! Same with house centipedes.

BTW, garters are awesome pets that don't get enough respect, I read that Europeans love them and breed them. They don't get huge and hard to handle like pythons, they don't need fancy climate controls or big terrariums, and you can feed them chunks of fish, fresh or frozen. Just take their personality on capture at face value, some are sweet and calm down easily, and some are monsters! We had one that we kept for a year before release, and he never chilled out. But we had a ribbon that was a sweetheart.

I don't understand it either.  When we lived in Nevada her fear was somewhat justified as the snakes out thee were big and could kill you. 

Out here it is only garter snakes and milk snakes that I've seen.  Supposedly Maine is the only state in the Lower 48 with no poisonous snakes.

9 mins ago, gellfex said:

I don’t like spiders but that’s because I had one crawl deep in my ear while I was sleeping a few years ago. 

1 min ago, z-man said:

I don’t like spiders but that’s because I had one crawl deep in my ear while I was sleeping a few years ago. 

I had a tarantula for a couple of years in college. Calm beast, fun at a party...

On 12/18/2021 at 7:48 AM, Jeff270 said:

I hate the bait.  The problem is that it is indiscriminate in what it kills.  Mice eat it, go outside and get eaten by something else.  Birds of prey are often killed by secondary poisoning from rodent poison.   The other factor is that mice will eat it and then die someplace you cant get at them, like in a wall or crawl space.   Nothing stinks like a rotting mouse.   Go with the traps, at least you will know what your killing.

I have traps set in my garage and shed year round.

No poison.  Ever. For me not enough control whats going to happen upchain/downstream.

On 1/14/2022 at 2:37 PM, mikez2 said:

This species is often mistaken for rattlesnakes. Although they are much more common than rattlesnakes, the eastern hognose is still pretty uncommon, rare or non-existent depending on what part of the state you look in.

I did some volunteer work this past season trying to determine the population status of hognose in Middlesex County. I was able to find one single individual in Middlesex (the last picture). I walked two or three hours, a couple times a week, from May to October and found only one. Two others were found by homeowners and reported (not shown).

The three from Middlesex County were collected, documented and a pit tag embedded before releasing them back where they came from. Next season I will hopefully find them again. 

Love hognose snakes.  One of the coolest creatures one can find in the wild imo.

And IME they are FAR more rare than rattlesnakes.  I'm in NJ, not mass, and they are like hens teeth.  I've found rattlesnakes 20:1 to hogs.  

Your input in these threads is hugely apprecaited. I love reading about herpers, what they find, etc.  

On 1/14/2022 at 4:42 PM, EBHarvey said:

Where to begin.....

it's not illegal unless the snake is protected under federal or state endangered species acts.  at least here in CT I can, if I chose to, kill as many snakes as I want as long as they're not hognoses, timbers, ribbons, or eastern ratsnakes

unethical?  maybe, depends on the circumstances

conservation?  this is a website of fisherman.  we're killers, whether we want to admit it or not.  even the CnR guys kill fish, lots of them, and for what?  sport, not even food.  we're not conservationists.  if we were, and were honest with ourselves, we wouldn't fish.

hell, in this very thread there's a whole discussion about killing mice.  mammals, with far more advanced brains than any reptile.  Where's the outcry for them?  nobody's heart's bleeding over the dead mice whose only offense was trying to find food and stay warm for the winter.  but a snake, totally different, somehow, and even alluding to killing one is some horrible moral offense.

Sorry, I know a lot of you guys like snakes, but the hypocrisy is ridiculous sometimes.  unless you're a vegan that doesn't fish.......

Ribbons?  Huh.   Wouldnt have guessed they were on the list. 

Snakes are generally less capable of rebounding from habitat and population changes than the various species of 'mice'. 

They almost always sit higher up in the food chain, so killing individuals has a greater % impact, ecologically.   

They almost never do damage, unlike mice moles squirrels rats etc.   Usually, the opposite. 

Sort of like weakfish vs jellyfish comparison.  Sort of. 

Aside from my opinion of their cool factor, thats all i got.  

On 1/13/2022 at 0:06 PM, jeffreyrichard said:

Very common, very harmless ... eats insects. Quite at home in urban environments

My son found a HUGE (relatively speaking, of course!) DeKay right next to the Paterson Falls a few years ago.  under a trash baord that had been dumped in the weeds next to the parking lot.  He said "I bet there's a Dekay under that.  And boom, a 12-14" beast.  That was a cool day.  We took second place in the lax tourny, my kid scored.  Good times.

14 mins ago, 55555s said:

Love hognose snakes.  One of the coolest creatures one can find in the wild imo.

And IME they are FAR more rare than rattlesnakes.  I'm in NJ, not mass, and they are like hens teeth.  I've found rattlesnakes 20:1 to hogs.  

Your input in these threads is hugely apprecaited. I love reading about herpers, what they find, etc.  

Appreciate that. Glad you like those posts.

In my old age I find I put more of my recreational time into herping than I do fishing. More solitude, better success level. I also find I'm able to use my skills to give back through volunteer work. Something I can't really do as a fisherman.

On 1/14/2022 at 4:42 PM, EBHarvey said:

it's not illegal unless the snake is protected under federal or state endangered species acts.  at least here in CT I can, if I chose to, kill as many snakes as I want as long as they're not hognoses, timbers, ribbons, or eastern ratsnakes

I was wrong ... for CT. In RI it is illegal to kill any snakes

On 1/14/2022 at 8:28 PM, EBHarvey said:

I have no fear of snakes, nor a lack of understanding.  I just don't like them, and when I find one in my house, my pool, my chicken coop, or where my kids play.......yeah, dead snake.  

That says all I need to know ...