z-man

Snake ID?

Rate this topic

105 posts in this topic

This species is often mistaken for rattlesnakes. Although they are much more common than rattlesnakes, the eastern hognose is still pretty uncommon, rare or non-existent depending on what part of the state you look in.

I did some volunteer work this past season trying to determine the population status of hognose in Middlesex County. I was able to find one single individual in Middlesex (the last picture). I walked two or three hours, a couple times a week, from May to October and found only one. Two others were found by homeowners and reported (not shown).

The three from Middlesex County were collected, documented and a pit tag embedded before releasing them back where they came from. Next season I will hopefully find them again. 

The others shown here were from Worcester County where there is a small but healthy population. They're also found in a small patch of western MA but the strongest population is the southeast part of the state.

IMG_20210705_203035_414.jpg

20210705_133346.jpg

20211007_122151.jpg

IMG_20210909_124457_463.jpg

10 mins ago, EBHarvey said:

when I see these pics my brain immediately thinks of where I'd aim the shovel.  :shrug:

As an Administrator I'd hope you'd have better sense than to engage in this ... even in jest. This community (generally) promotes conservation ... why are you engaging in the converse? You don't like snakes? Fine ... leave them alone. They'll leave you alone. Don't promote the killing of these animals. It's unethical, anti-conservational and illegal.

Just now, jeffreyrichard said:

As an Administrator I'd hope you'd have better sense than to engage in this ... even in jest. This community (generally) promotes conservation ... why are you engaging in the converse? You don't like snakes? Fine ... leave them alone. They'll leave you alone. Don't promote the killing of these animals. It's unethical, anti-conservational and illegal.

I can't understand why anyone would open a thread named Snake ID if they hate snakes.

Unfortunately as you probably know, you can't usually change the mind of the haters.

14 mins ago, jeffreyrichard said:

In my time here I have not generally found this to be the case, it's been a surprise to me too.

2 mins ago, Plug and teaser said:

In my time here I have not generally found this to be the case, it's been a surprise to me too.

Indeed. It has always come as a shock to me that surprisingly often, the opposite is true. 

27 mins ago, mikez2 said:

Unfortunately as you probably know, you can't usually change the mind of the haters.

Maybe so, but maybe I can sway someone on the fence to be open minded ...

1 hour ago, mikez2 said:

This species is often mistaken for rattlesnakes. Although they are much more common than rattlesnakes, the eastern hognose is still pretty uncommon, rare or non-existent depending on what part of the state you look in.

I did some volunteer work this past season trying to determine the population status of hognose in Middlesex County. I was able to find one single individual in Middlesex (the last picture). I walked two or three hours, a couple times a week, from May to October and found only one. Two others were found by homeowners and reported (not shown).

The three from Middlesex County were collected, documented and a pit tag embedded before releasing them back where they came from. Next season I will hopefully find them again. 

The others shown here were from Worcester County where there is a small but healthy population. They're also found in a small patch of western MA but the strongest population is the southeast part of the state.

IMG_20210705_203035_414.jpg

20210705_133346.jpg

20211007_122151.jpg

IMG_20210909_124457_463.jpg

Round eye pupils are one distinguishing physical characteristic from rattlers. The catch is, you have to be close enough to see them, lol.

1 hour ago, jeffreyrichard said:

Where to begin.....

it's not illegal unless the snake is protected under federal or state endangered species acts.  at least here in CT I can, if I chose to, kill as many snakes as I want as long as they're not hognoses, timbers, ribbons, or eastern ratsnakes

unethical?  maybe, depends on the circumstances

conservation?  this is a website of fisherman.  we're killers, whether we want to admit it or not.  even the CnR guys kill fish, lots of them, and for what?  sport, not even food.  we're not conservationists.  if we were, and were honest with ourselves, we wouldn't fish.

hell, in this very thread there's a whole discussion about killing mice.  mammals, with far more advanced brains than any reptile.  Where's the outcry for them?  nobody's heart's bleeding over the dead mice whose only offense was trying to find food and stay warm for the winter.  but a snake, totally different, somehow, and even alluding to killing one is some horrible moral offense.

Sorry, I know a lot of you guys like snakes, but the hypocrisy is ridiculous sometimes.  unless you're a vegan that doesn't fish.......

also, those hognoses are pretty cool - still haven't seen one in the wild yet.  my daughter is determined to get one as a pet but I'm not having it.  her lizards are enough for me.  I would like to run into one sometime though and see the play-dead act they do.

11 mins ago, EBHarvey said:

Where to begin.....

it's not illegal unless the snake is protected under federal or state endangered species acts.  at least here in CT I can, if I chose to, kill as many snakes as I want as long as they're not hognoses, timbers, ribbons, or eastern ratsnakes

conservation?  this is a website of fisherman.  we're killers, whether we want to admit it or not.  even the CnR guys kill fish, lots of them, and for what?  sport, not even food.  we're not conservationists.  if we were, and were honest with ourselves, we wouldn't fish.

hell, in this very thread there's a whole discussion about killing mice.  mammals, with far more advanced brains than any reptile.  Where's the outcry for them?  nobody's heart's bleeding over the dead mice whose only offense was trying to find food and stay warm for the winter.  but a snake, totally different, somehow, and even alluding to killing one is some horrible moral offense.

Sorry, I know a lot of you guys like snakes, but the hypocrisy is ridiculous sometimes.  unless you're a vegan that doesn't fish.......

Mice are destructive. Snakes aren’t. That’s the difference. The only reason people kill snakes is because they have an irrational fear of them. 

1 hour ago, EBHarvey said:

Where to begin.....

I think you confuse Conservationists with Preservationists.

A conservationist has no problem with Hunting, Fishing, Trapping, Logging etc., just a balanced approach. , a Preservationist does.

No one should condone killing a useful critter for no particular reason other than fear or lack of understanding of where they fit in the scheme of things.

Conservation and preservation are closely linked and may indeed seem to mean the same thing. Both terms involve a degree of protection, but how that is protection is carried out is the key difference. ... Put simply conservation seeks the proper use of nature, while preservation seeks protection of nature from use.

Muir and  Pinchot were kind of the founding fathers of these ideas.

2 hours ago, Plug and teaser said:

No one should condone killing a useful critter for no particular reason other than fear or lack of understanding of where they fit in the scheme of things.

Muir and  Pinchot were kind of the founding fathers of these ideas.

So we affix a value to an animal's life based on whether we find it useful, for our human purposes? It's OK to hate mice and kill them by the hundreds, regardless of what value they bring to the ecosystem, but snakes we revere because they do stuff for us?  

I have no fear of snakes, nor a lack of understanding.  I just don't like them, and when I find one in my house, my pool, my chicken coop, or where my kids play.......yeah, dead snake.  

Incidentally, I grew up with giffords pinchot's great grandkids here in CT before they moved to washington state in the late 80's.  cool bunch :th:

12 mins ago, EBHarvey said:

So we affix a value to an animal's life based on whether we find it useful, for our human purposes? It's OK to hate mice and kill them by the hundreds, regardless of what value they bring to the ecosystem, but snakes we revere because they do stuff for us?  

I have no fear of snakes, nor a lack of understanding.  I just don't like them, and when I find one in my house, my pool, my chicken coop, or where my kids play.......yeah, dead snake.  

Incidentally, I grew up with giffords pinchot's great grandkids here in CT before they moved to washington state in the late 80's.  cool bunch :th:

Not for human purposes, but in the overall scheme of things....sure.

A  single Striper has more value than a single sand eel..... like that.

Pinchot would agree......Muir maybe not so much.

Cool growing up with his descendants. Easy to disagree with some of his work, but considering the time he lived in, he accomplished a lot.