z-man

Snake ID?

Rate this topic

105 posts in this topic

On 1/3/2022 at 3:20 PM, Fishinjohny said:

Get a five gallon bucket, a soda bottle, a dowel, that will fit in the bottle opening. cut a hole in the bottle pass the dowel through so the bottle spins freely . Drill hole in the sides of the bucket so the dowel can pass through, leave a couple of inches of dowel sticking out each side of the bucket.Put the bottle on the dowel so it is inside the bucket. Drill a small hole in each end of the dowel outside each side of the bucket. Drop a small nail through the dowel and bend so it can't fall out. so now you have the soda bottle inside the walls of the bucket spinning freely. Smear peanut butter on the bottle and fill the bucket with water, put a piece of wood as a ramp leading to the bucket (some seed on the ramp will help invite the mice) when they make the jump for the peanut butter its a spin and in.. Best mouse trap ever. Multiple mice nightly. I use this in my garage until the temps cause it to freeze. Snake friendly .

RV antifreeze works too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/3/2022 at 11:20 PM, mikez2 said:

Brown snake.

Also called a Dekay's or Dekay's Brown.

Very common, very harmless ... eats insects. Quite at home in urban environments

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My favorite place to hunt deer was in the town of Mt Washington Ma. It's the southwestern most town in the state, forming the tristate boundary on Ma/Conn/NY.

The Mt Washington state park has a well used, super cool ranger cabin.  Over the door is 4-5' skinned timber rattler.  The story behind it is as follows.

 

One sunny day in July, some do gooder, conservationist type decided to make the full day hike to the top of Mt Allander.  Before he made the final accent up the steep, rocky trail, he stopped to rest and drink water.   As he sat there, a few yards away he saw the snake minding it's own business sunning itself on a rock outcropping. Mr Outdoorsman took his walking stick, and clubbed the daylights out of the be poor reptile, and brought it back to the rangers cabin as a trophy.:(

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, bob_G said:

My favorite place to hunt deer was in the town of Mt Washington Ma. It's the southwestern most town in the state, forming the tristate boundary on Ma/Conn/NY.

The Mt Washington state park has a well used, super cool ranger cabin.  Over the door is 4-5' skinned timber rattler.  The story behind it is as follows.

 

One sunny day in July, some do gooder, conservationist type decided to make the full day hike to the top of Mt Allander.  Before he made the final accent up the steep, rocky trail, he stopped to rest and drink water.   As he sat there, a few yards away he saw the snake minding it's own business sunning itself on a rock outcropping. Mr Outdoorsman took his walking stick, and clubbed the daylights out of the be poor reptile, and brought it back to the rangers cabin as a trophy.:(

He got arrested or at least had to appear before a judge, I hope......

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited) · Report post

1 hour ago, bob_G said:

My favorite place to hunt deer was in the town of Mt Washington Ma. It's the southwestern most town in the state, forming the tristate boundary on Ma/Conn/NY.

The Mt Washington state park has a well used, super cool ranger cabin.  Over the door is 4-5' skinned timber rattler.  The story behind it is as follows.

 

One sunny day in July, some do gooder, conservationist type decided to make the full day hike to the top of Mt Allander.  Before he made the final accent up the steep, rocky trail, he stopped to rest and drink water.   As he sat there, a few yards away he saw the snake minding it's own business sunning itself on a rock outcropping. Mr Outdoorsman took his walking stick, and clubbed the daylights out of the be poor reptile, and brought it back to the rangers cabin as a trophy.:(

 ... endangered Timber Rattlesnake ... so sad ... 

Edited by jeffreyrichard

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 mins ago, jason colby said:

He got arrested or at least had to appear before a judge, I hope......

 

4 mins ago, jeffreyrichard said:

 ... endangered Timber Rattlesnake ... so sad ... 

Nope, nothing happened.  Mr Conservation played the "I didn't know, it attacked me" card.   The park ranger there was my friend Bruce Taggert. He skinned it, salted and cured the hide and mounted it.   Too bad, seeing a live rattler has always been on my bucket list. :(

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 mins ago, bob_G said:

 

Nope, nothing happened.  Mr Conservation played the "I didn't know, it attacked me" card.   The park ranger there was my friend Bruce Taggert. He skinned it, salted and cured the hide and mounted it.   Too bad, seeing a live rattler has always been on my bucket list. :(

Visit BSA Camp Turrell in the Catskills, it's infested with them. Amazing a Scout has never been bitten.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 mins ago, gellfex said:

Visit BSA Camp Turrell in the Catskills, it's infested with them. Amazing a Scout has never been bitten.

Thanks! I might just do that.

You probably don't realize how egregious of a spot burn that is but fine tuned location data on timbers is guarded more heavily than pole numbers on the canal.

 

That no scout has been bitten is not surprising at all. They really are inoffensive creatures that rely first on camouflage and second on flight to avoid conflict. The scouts probably walk within a few feet of them several times per season without even knowing they are there.

The vast majority of rattlesnake bites are what the scientists refer to as "illegitimate". That means the victim was engaged in activity that Steve Irwin described as "mucking with it".

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 min ago, mikez2 said:

Thanks! I might just do that.

You probably don't realize how egregious of a spot burn that is but fine tuned location data on timbers is guarded more heavily than pole numbers on the canal.

 

That no scout has been bitten is not surprising at all. They really are inoffensive creatures that rely first on camouflage and second on flight to avoid conflict. The scouts probably walk within a few feet of them several times per season without even knowing they are there.

The vast majority of rattlesnake bites are what the scientists refer to as "illegitimate". That means the victim was engaged in activity that Steve Irwin described as "mucking with it".

I had no idea! My son the climber would see them all the time. Here's a shot of one there from his Instagram page:

rattler.PNG.55c16d38df6200882c423dd28fecb1c9.PNG

 

And the scouts walk within a few feet several times a day, like I said, lotta snakes!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, gellfex said:

I had no idea! My son the climber would see them all the time. Here's a shot of one there from his Instagram page:

rattler.PNG.55c16d38df6200882c423dd28fecb1c9.PNG

 

And the scouts walk within a few feet several times a day, like I said, lotta snakes!

Perhaps Mike and I will be paying you and your son a visa this summer ... we are avid snake-rs and seek these guys out for photo opportunities! 

 

I've been fortunate enough to come across a small one in CT about 15 years ago ... and then a real beauty in the Pine Barrens of NJ in 2007 ... she was a biggun about 5 feet long.

 

They are very docile as Mike says and will only bite if picked up or stepped on. Western rattlers are much more aggressive, generally speaking.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 mins ago, jeffreyrichard said:

Perhaps Mike and I will be paying you and your son a visa this summer ... we are avid snake-rs and seek these guys out for photo opportunities! 

Were he still working there, he'd be happy to welcome you, he's an avid herper too. His friends describe hiking with him like hiking with a dog, he's always off chasing something!  But he'll likely be guiding climbers up Mt Rainier this summer. My daughter will be teaching there, but she's not a herper.

 

Here he is in HS with a nice capture:

 

61e0985eeb345_adamwithblacksnake.PNG.1242202512845866485eef88f42a9280.PNG

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I hunt turkey in this beautiful parcel of Quabbin land trust property that I'm convinced holds timber rattlers.   

Huge area, between the saddle of two mountains.  Locally it's called the Boulder Garden. Giant boulders stacked on one another, with ledge and rock outcroppings running for almost 3/4 of a mile.

Unfortunately when I'm there in April and May it's too cold for timbers to be out sunning.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was pheasant hunting one fall when we came across one.  My biggest concern was my dog.  We left it where it be and continued hunting.  Later, I went down to the headquarters in Westboro and told one of the biologists about it.  He wasn't all that surprised and asked me not to tell anyone where it was.  This was at least 20 years a go.    Pretty cool

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.