z-man

Snake ID?

Rate this topic

105 posts in this topic

Reply from "the professional":

Black racer in the pic.  They sometimes climb trees, and I've seen them chest high in mountain laurel at a site I've seen 2 dozen in half acre (XXX Mountain, XXXXX).

Rats have broader heads, but mainly the gray/black belly scales clinch it.  This guy actually looks like he has semi-keeled scales like a rat, but it may just be the resolution of the pic.

4 hours ago, b-ware said:

A milksnake from Jan. 2018, it is in my shop and the outside temp. is -9 degrees.................

DSC_0413.JPG

I really love milk snakes. I kept one as a pet when I was young. The thing was quite content "making close contact" with me as it loved body heat.

If I was reading a book and staying still for more than an hour, it would not move at all.

There really needs to be a forum rule warning that pictures of wild serpents are in a thread. 

I've was chased by a huge Garter snake!. They aren't docile. 

On 12/17/2021 at 11:56 PM, z-man said:

His mouth was the size of my pinky fingernail. I don’t think it would be eating any mice unless they were newborns. 

It could easily eat a mature mouse, a snakes mouth is designed so they can swallow things larger than their heads.

main-qimg-2cc96aa4b720738fe08d1d96beedd2

Edited by Bass Ackwards

46 mins ago, jason colby said:

Reply from "the professional":

Black racer in the pic.  They sometimes climb trees, and I've seen them chest high in mountain laurel at a site I've seen 2 dozen in half acre (XXX Mountain, XXXXX).

Rats have broader heads, but mainly the gray/black belly scales clinch it.  This guy actually looks like he has semi-keeled scales like a rat, but it may just be the resolution of the pic.

Once you have seen a few in person you really can't get em confused. 

The glossy smooth scales, the small narrow head, the big eyes and the jet black pattern less color are dead give aways for racers.

Black rats have the rougher semi-keeled scales, big blocky head, smaller eyes and often have a faint blotched pattern showing through the black color.

Although racers will climb trees, especially if you chase them, but they are more often seen on the ground. 

Black rats are semi-aboreal, often living in hollow trees and spending time hunting birds and nests in the branches. 

There's a big old dead tree in a certain Ma state park where a couple black rats can often be seen basking about 15 feet above the ground. It's right out in the middle of a grassy lawn, near the parking lot and next to a couple busy trails. Dozens of people walk right by without seeing them. 

Black rats are rare in Ma, at the northeast limit of their range in southern Worcester County. They're not seen in most of the rest of the state except for the CT River Valley. 

Racers are widespread across the whole state including the Cape.

First two pics are black rats from CT. I don't have pics from Ma. 

The rest are racers. Pics are from last year. The bandana will forever mark all my pics from 2020.

1936962_1168758312710_5685868_n.jpg

1936962_1168758272709_569675_n.jpg

20200529_204201.jpg

20200604_230714.jpg

20200521_225641.jpg

20200521_230004.jpg

22 mins ago, FEW3 said:

There really needs to be a forum rule warning that pictures of wild serpents are in a thread. 

I've was chased by a huge Garter snake!. They aren't docile. 

General rule: threads with the title "snake id" will likely have serpent pics.:)

1 hour ago, mikez2 said:

General rule: threads with the title "snake id" will likely have serpent pics.:)

I think the best rule would be a warning that posts by FEW3 are in the thread. ;) 

On 12/17/2021 at 2:44 PM, jason colby said:

100% harmless and very cute/beneficial. A milk snake would never "attack" anyone.

They are not venomous and if they did bite it would only be for show so it could try to get away from you.

I can attest that the bite hardly hurts as I've been bitten by a few. They are mostly docile when handled, even more so than a garter snake.

"Milk Skanks", on the other hand.....

The first snake my oldest handled was a milk snake, found on the path around Great Meadows, Concord MA. Wasn't a big one, maybe 6 - 7 inches.

She was 4 years old at the time. I've got a picture somewhere.....

On 12/19/2021 at 9:46 AM, b-ware said:

A milksnake from Jan. 2018, it is in my shop and the outside temp. is -9 degrees.................

DSC_0413.JPG

Exquisite Milk ... love the red color on that. Most I've seen are browner ...

13 mins ago, jeffreyrichard said:

I believe I've seen that Rat Snake you're holding, Mike ... beautiful shots!

I think you took that picture as a matter of fact. :)

Posted (edited) · Report post

Get a five gallon bucket, a soda bottle, a dowel, that will fit in the bottle opening. cut a hole in the bottle pass the dowel through so the bottle spins freely . Drill hole in the sides of the bucket so the dowel can pass through, leave a couple of inches of dowel sticking out each side of the bucket.Put the bottle on the dowel so it is inside the bucket. Drill a small hole in each end of the dowel outside each side of the bucket. Drop a small nail through the dowel and bend so it can't fall out. so now you have the soda bottle inside the walls of the bucket spinning freely. Smear peanut butter on the bottle and fill the bucket with water, put a piece of wood as a ramp leading to the bucket (some seed on the ramp will help invite the mice) when they make the jump for the peanut butter its a spin and in.. Best mouse trap ever. Multiple mice nightly. I use this in my garage until the temps cause it to freeze. Snake friendly .

Edited by Fishinjohny
Explaination

45 mins ago, Fishinjohny said:

Get a five gallon bucket, a soda bottle, a dowel, that will fit in the bottle opening. cut a hole in the bottle pass the dowel through so the bottle spins freely . Drill hole in the sides of the bucket so the dowel can pass through, leave a couple of inches of dowel sticking out each side of the bucket.Put the bottle on the dowel so it is inside the bucket. Drill a small hole in each end of the dowel outside each side of the bucket. Drop a small nail through the dowel and bend so it can't fall out. so now you have the soda bottle inside the walls of the bucket spinning freely. Smear peanut butter on the bottle and fill the bucket with water, put a piece of wood as a ramp leading to the bucket (some seed on the ramp will help invite the mice) when they make the jump for the peanut butter its a spin and in.. Best mouse trap ever. Multiple mice nightly. I use this in my garage until the temps cause it to freeze. Snake friendly .

Even just a plain bucket half full of water, no dowel. They seem to fall in pretty readily. 

I used to accidentally catch them in my fish tanks if the water level dropped low enough to where the mice couldn't climb out.