z-man

Snake ID?

Rate this topic

105 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, jason colby said:

Likely why you had the visitor.....

Who was trying to help before almost dying while doing so...

To the OP. Here's a solution

mt.jpg

4 hours ago, jason colby said:

100% harmless

Hogwash, all snakes are poisonous and dangerous and should never be handled by children. This picture of a deadly garter snake is being handled the correct way by a highly trained professional.

WARNING, don't ever attempt to do this yourself, it could be the last thing you ever do.

61bd28ef0e5da_GarterSnakeMay152020001.JPG.78dd746dc888ac21f7cf6d8fa8cdb1a8.JPG

17 mins ago, z-man said:

How about this snake that was in one of my bushes last summer. It was 3-4’ long. Black Racer?

52E38C13-3670-40F1-8F50-2951F73C8E18.jpeg

Black racer my eye. That's a black mamba!

1 hour ago, Jeff270 said:

Should have left the snake and 86'd the sticky traps.

His mouth was the size of my pinky fingernail. I don’t think it would be eating any mice unless they were newborns. 

4 mins ago, Ditchbag said:

Mice suck!!!

I hate them. They have wrecked so much stuff this year. Boat wiring, snow blower wiring and pull cord, ate snow shoe straps, chewed into my tackle bag and ate a bag of gulp plus chewed and pissed on tons of other stuff. Kill ‘em all. 

17 mins ago, z-man said:

I hate them. They have wrecked so much stuff this year. Boat wiring, snow blower wiring and pull cord, ate snow shoe straps, chewed into my tackle bag and ate a bag of gulp plus chewed and pissed on tons of other stuff. Kill ‘em all. 

Yes

3 hours ago, z-man said:

I'm with ya. We do battle with em in our Bakery.

Cpl thoughts/steps/suggestions

1) ID then seal any entranceway from outside into residence. If it's a >quarter inch wide, mice can get through it. They only need to fit their skull through (which is unbending); the rest of the body will contort to ridiculous proportion

2) ID and seal all burrow entrances. Use the quarter inch rule. Btw, we cemented a stretch closed in our bakery basement. They chewed right through the cement:

20211129_080459.jpg.aa742bf4caf76ec1606835de5cad51b0.jpg

Steel "chore boy" is a fairly effective plug. There are also rolls of specific chore-like products on the market that mice won't chew through because the spikey steel wire pokes their sensitive nose

3) Sticky traps are typically effective on young juvenile mice. They older ones grow guard hairs(on feet?) that help them to avoid stickys. Moreover, mice learn to avoid stickys by building a mental map. Had a pest control guy tell me this: if you got used to a Ditch being right there, but somebody moved it 10ft closer in the dark? You'd fall it. -->You can adjust the position of the sticky (even by just a foot) to sometimes fool the wiser ones.

4) Baits

The best bait I've seen and used *by far* is FirstStrike.

It's a very palatable softbait in 10g packs. If you have pets or kids, then you'll need to apply the baits inside a baitstation. No kids, no pets? Can be more aggressive by just placing open baits along rodent runways and near burrow entrances.

FirstStrike is not available to the public via purchase at the Depot or Lowes or whatever. You absolutely must order it online. I got a 4lb bag of umpteen zillion softbaits on the "Bay" for 55bucks. You'll be unlikely to find smaller quantities for sale, because these vendors are reselling their original 16lb (4x4lbbags) purchases direct from manufacturer or major pest control sellers (*eg: DIY pest control)

Go nuclear. Try FirstStrike.

And don't half ass the # packets

(Or whatever method you use: ++ numbers of mice requires ++++ numbers of traps)

Cut off their food supply first then give em a crapton of softbait. Bye bye mouseys

5) lastly, always use gloves when deploying any type of trap/sticky/or bait. Mouse olfactory system is unbelievable and can smell sketchy humans on anything you touch

Edited by rst3

5 hours ago, Jeff270 said:

Should have left the snake and 86'd the sticky traps.

5 hours ago, bob_G said:

I thought the same.  The snake would put a dent in those mice.

Even if the snake was of-size to chow mice, one snake would do nothing against a mouse infestation. Youd need a ton of snakes or bunch of ferrets.

These pests from hell can birth a litter of 6(ave) every month or so, and a female pup is ready to breed after 4wks. The math gets silly after a few generations and soon the space is overrun. 

Tbh, the only thing that knocked out our infestation was the baits. Took a handful in traps, some more on stickys...but both sticky and Trap-caught mice were almost entirely juveniles. The older ones are pretty smart and much tougher to get by sticky or trap

Bait and wait FTW

we number 4 traps and put them in various locations in the house.

then each of us places a bet of which one will go off first.........

I'm winnin..........