TheLuckyStrike

What’s your limit on the price of a plug you are willing to fish

Rate this topic

59 posts in this topic

So I’ve been watching plug prices on customs lately. I’ve definitely caught myself drooling over certain ones but I find myself asking the question, would I fish a $200+ plug.  I have a collection of a lifetime that’s easily $10k in lures but nothing in my inventory costs more than $100. I’m curious about the regulars here. What’s your cutoff price where you wouldn’t fish it? 

<$25 

plugs are meant to fish not stare at. My old school favs are lex lures. They were $12 when I was a kid. Nowadays wright swimming plugs. In 2021 they’re $18. 

I am not a collector but know this world exists.  I make my own wood plugs and bucktails so I only buy plastic lures that are hot each season. What I do buy I buy to  I fish them and not look at them. The idea of spending anything more than 30 on a lure is just ludicrous and 200+ is pure insanity in my opinion but if this is your passion so be it.   So at 30+ would I fish them?  Nope. 

Now out of curiosity what does a $200 dollar lure get you over time?  Are these investments?  Like if you bought a $200 dollar lure today what would that lure be worth in 5, 10 of 15 years be worth $300? or $400?.  I cannot imagine a niche market driving a price significantly like that. So I have to ask .. what is the motivation on buying an "expensive" lure?  I just don't get it at all.  Help me understand. 

Edited by pressphotog

First 10 yrs on SOL I had a max of $20. In that 10 yrs I had less than 15 total in that range.

I wanted some Beach masters so I raised the max to $28 and i acquired about a dozen over 3-4 years.

Then for a short while-after my daughters left the home-I had 3 jobs. I did not fish much but I bought a great assortment of everything I ever thought I needed/wanted -most were in the $10-$35 range. I have one $40-still in the pack.

Back to being so broke that I can't pay attention-  so if I'm on when a deal comes up- I occasionally grab a few.

I guess some time soon I will sell some.

Max on a lure that I would fish: Open beach-ANY of the above. Heavy Rocks- all but a few I have listed. Heavy wood structures- I would be more selective.  

Edited by Gatr522

1 hour ago, pressphotog said:

I am not a collector but know this world exists.  I make my own wood plugs and bucktails so I only buy plastic lures that are hot each season. What I do buy I buy to  I fish them and not look at them. The idea of spending anything more than 30 on a lure is just ludicrous and 200+ is pure insanity in my opinion but if this is your passion so be it.   So at 30+ would I fish them?  Nope. 

Now out of curiosity what does a $200 dollar lure get you over time?  Are these investments?  Like if you bought a $200 dollar lure today what would that lure be worth in 5, 10 of 15 years be worth $300? or $400?.  I cannot imagine a niche market driving a price significantly like that. So I have to ask .. what is the motivation on buying an "expensive" lure?  I just don't get it at all.  Help me understand. 

I hear you, I’m shocked at some of the prices we see today. But there’s a part of me that gets excited about something I don’t have too. I almost talked myself into a $200 plug the other day but the reality of actually risking losing it? Nope I couldn’t do it. And I’m a fisherman not a collector. I fish em all. There certainly seems to be many that buy those though. 

For stripers, about $20. I only buy what I can't make, so I buy mainly plastic plugs since I can turn my own wood plugs. Big spooks and super strike plugs will run around $20 but I look for sales on these. I prefer to keep it in the $5-15 range, though. Lots of choices. Bombers, redfins, and mag darters and other yo-zuris. If you have a thing for wood and can't make your own, then you're gonna have to up the budget. 

Maybe a sucker but I don't mind paying more for a well crafted plug. Sure the looks are generally to catch us but I enjoy fishing them too. Most expensive plugs I fish for bass are CCW's and RM Smiths.

My most expensive ones are tuna plugs where I don't mind the extra price given they are bullet proof with high quality thru wires or full metal plates, ie Siren, Black Ledge, Amegari, etc.

The only expensive plugs I have even remotely considered buying and fishing are these I believe they are Gary2 slim swimmer's.. many years ago I saw @GeoffT fishing one of these, or something very similar.. it was a killer plug... pretty sure the plug builder was still alive so it was more readily available and not a collector's item. For the most part, most of my plugs are $20 or less. 85% of the fish I've caught this year have been on rubber shads that cost just a couple of dollars each..

I'm sure if I ever did lose my mind and drop the dollars on one of these, and a collector caught me fishing it I would be burned at the stake..

16114343302823277861647981523711.jpg.9529e0d96f6e17d44cbeedbbd2192fc3.jpg

Edited by JimK

16 hours ago, pressphotog said:

I think there is more personal enjoyment out of it. I bought a CV Atom for the sole purpose of display in my newfound home office with COVID. That's about it, cant justify the price and trust in myself that something wont fail on that kinda lure.

That said, I dont normally throw more than a $35/$40 plug, even then its only a Habs or BM the rest are in the $20 range or so. 

Anything over $30ish I probably don’t even buy let alone fish. Some of you are nutty buying $100+ plugs. One screwed up cast, or a big blue, and it’s good bye $$$. 

12 mins ago, TheLuckyStrike said:

They look sweet Jim

Not mine, just a picture I found on the BST forum. If they were mine they would be all banged up from use. It is my belief that all plugs were made to be fished.. I just have not gone crazy enough, yet, to drop a couple of hundred dollars on one of these and throw it in the water. Next time I hit it in AC.....:rav:

Used to be $15, I'll go as high as $25 these days. Issue is, you can buy a quality made plastic like a Daiwa SP,  Yozuri Mag  Darter, Red Fin or Bomber from $7 to $15 and you'll never do better. It is nice to feel good about whats swimming out there though, thus the need to believe, if it cost me $25 and I enjoy it, its not wasted $$.

For the collectors, not sure what the future holds for custom built stuff , sometimes it seems the market has peaked but somebody is always waiting to spend a days pay on a plug. You might have to wait until after your dead for 50 years for somebody to pay what you did. 

Its not a good investment, its good for fun but $500 plugs are past fun. Buy em' at a reasonable cost, $35 and under and hang them up so you can enjoy them, most have them buried in cases like a coin collection, why? 

18 mins ago, Highlander1 said:

Used to be $15, I'll go as high as $25 these days. Issue is, you can buy a quality made plastic like a Daiwa SP,  Yozuri Mag  Darter, Red Fin or Bomber from $7 to $15 and you'll never do better. It is nice to feel good about whats swimming out there though, thus the need to believe, if it cost me $25 and I enjoy it, its not wasted $$.

For the collectors, not sure what the future holds for custom built stuff , sometimes it seems the market has peaked but somebody is always waiting to spend a days pay on a plug. You might have to wait until after your dead for 50 years for somebody to pay what you did. 

Its not a good investment, its good for fun but $500 plugs are past fun. Buy em' at a reasonable cost, $35 and under and hang them up so you can enjoy them, most have them buried in cases like a coin collection, why? 

Sickness, addiction, etc