Throwing Docs from a boat... what rod?

Rate this topic

Ba Ba Buoy

I've been rotating between 3 rods when spin casting on a buddy's boat, using all 7 footers. Loomis GL2 844S rated 1/2-2oz, then an Fin Nor Ahab 12, & lastly a Star Stellar. The Ahab & Stellar don't have lure ratings listed on them but neither feel like they can top much more than 2+ ounces. The small Doc overloads these rods, & forget the big Doc all together!

I'd like to know what others use for spinning boat gear rated for say around 2-6 oz. It would be pairing with a Daiwa BG4000, Gosa 6000, or a Stradic FL 5000. I would like to keep the cost around $200 but may be convinced otherwise. I also like light or single foot guides, and foam or cork ring handles. Prefer stock shelf rods but custom for more $ may prove worth it?

"Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."  

~Henry David Thoreau
(member formerly known as MV Bluefish)

check out the Mojo inshore (new version) pretty sure the 7'9 or 7'11 was made specifically for the "doc"

I just picked one up for lighter stuff on the boat. feels nice and in your price range. Have not go to fish it yet, so I can not speak about how it was on the water. 

1 min ago, scoobydoo said:

From a boat.....without a doubt go with a conventional.

Any of the large low profile reels will do the trick....makes working them so much easier.  Good selection of 7'6 rods out there that'll do the trick.

I hate conventional. :(

9 mins ago, HoldMyBass said:

check out the Mojo inshore (new version) pretty sure the 7'9 or 7'11 was made specifically for the "doc"

I just picked one up for lighter stuff on the boat. feels nice and in your price range. Have not go to fish it yet, so I can not speak about how it was on the water. 

Those look workable, wish they had a smaller 'heavy' version. 7'9" or 7'11" is a little more than I like to swing.

"Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."  

~Henry David Thoreau

2 mins ago, Ba Ba Buoy said:

Those look workable, wish they had a smaller 'heavy' version. 7'9" or 7'11" is a little more than I like to swing.

Ever work a mongo spook with a large low pro?

It's as simple as turning the handle and pointing the rod at the bait.......

With fw baitcasters you can work spooks one handed all day...just reach under the reel and flick the drag star with your finger....

Edited by scoobydoo

"Panacheless is no way to go through life"

Tims

Just now, Ba Ba Buoy said:

They have lots of other ones with different specs. I got a 7 mh rated 1/2-1 1/4 or something like that. Mine will be used to throw 1-2 ounce plugs, shads, metals 

8 mins ago, scoobydoo said:

Ever work a mongo spook with a large low pro?

It's as simple as turning the handle and pointing the rod at the bait.......

With fw baitcasters you can work spooks one handed all day...just reach under the reel and flick the drag star with your finger....

I never had issues working big spooks with surf spinning gear. I've never fully tried a saltwater conventional because I've always just hated them. I should say, I have tried freshwater conventionals but did not like them at all either. I'm purely a spinning guy, what can I say. :shrug:

~Henry David Thoreau

53 mins ago, Matteo78 said:

I built a 7’10” lamiglas triflex 1-3 it’s perfect for this application, paired with a vm150. A bit heavy but the action is best suited for heavier plugs

I'm afraid a 1-3oz rod will be too close to what I'm currently working with. If it can't handle at least 4 ounce plugs, it's going to be too light for my uses. A heavyish rod that can't effectively throw big docs much better than what I have now still leaves me unfulfilled. I do like Lami action but still not a fit for me.

~Henry David Thoreau

I’ve been trying to dial in a rod exactly for this going on 2+ years now.  All work, but really trying to find something perfect.  IMO have to go longer than 7’ to help get the right action without killing yourself.   Too fast can be an issue ripping the doc out of the fishes mouth and I also believe you need to use too much effort.  Glass has really been the key to  getting that action right.   Rodgeeks carbon2 7’ 6” MH and H have been pretty rock solid.  Yes their ratings are lower, but haven’t found that to be a problem. The Doc casts like crap as it is and I’ve found really trying to heave one doesn’t really make a difference with all the resistance it has.  Been working with a couple musky blanks and cutting some off the butt with good results.  I’m trying to find lightweight and easy action so I can work it for hours. Kind of giving up on casting distance, figure we move the boat all the time anyway.