paulwalnuts

Crab fly stripping

Rate this topic

38 posts in this topic

Having watched stripers following a stripped crab on multiple occasions, you can move them along at a fair rate. Watching the naturals scuttle, scoot swim around supports this.

JC

All Points Fly put out an insta video a while back showing a very slow strip, I think with some pauses. On the other hand, a guy I know who is a great proponent of crab fly fishing strips quite quickly, reasoning that it keeps him in touch with the fly. I've caught stripping crabs fast, and just letting them sit while watching. With the striper population crashing like this I sometimes wonder if anything matters. :cry:

Usually a bump bump pause should seal the deal it all depends how they want it .

Those are our only local swimming crabs. Green crabs, Asian grapsid, rock crabs (I haven't seen in LIS for over 15 yrs), mud crabs etc. don't have swimmerets, only walking legs. 

There is a thing called a crab hatch. I saw it one time at barnaget inlet thousands of blue crabs floating out with the tide. If I remember it was late spring on a full moon tide. There might be more info on it elsewhere but a floating pattern free drifted like a dry fly would have worked. I was not fly casting that night so missed out. Stripers were eating them

In July in LIS there is a hatch of very small crabs (< 1/2"), can be extremely frustrating to see large bass swimming lazily at the surface sucking in masses of them. I've heard of people catching them on tiny flies, but I wasn't one of them.

I’d like to expand on my previous post. Since most shore bound anglers fish in places with a current, the the types of crab that live these environs have to be able to at least hold their own against the flow and therefore when going across or downstream can really motor. Even on flats this is true because the tide is always moving. This is a thing that took me a long time to learn, I resisted fishing crabs for a long time, I’m unable to fish something slowly, then I figured out that you can move the crab at faster speeds and now I’m using a crab pattern a large percentage of the time, obviously they’re working.

JC

Edited by JonC

My only luck with crab flies was a lightly weighted fly drifted right at the edge of the flat so it just hung on the downside. Worked great but that was for mutton snapper. I see tons of crabs in the marsh pretty much every time I fish, for some reason I've had a mental block with them and stripers. Next year for sure lol...

On 12/16/2021 at 7:36 PM, walpy said:

Anyone fish crabs at night?

I have. I caught one of my best fish of the year off the rocks at night on a burple crab. I have had fish hit crab flies at times when nothing else worked.