Taako

Penn Spinfisher VI Long Cast vs Bail-less? Why not both?

4 posts in this topic

I am looking to get a new surf fishing setup to upgrade from my garbage $50 combo.

After a lot of research I think i'm starting to settle on a Spinfisher VI (although right now Slammer IIIs can be found for cheaper than spinfishers, i don't like that the min drag on a slammer is so high).

I have never used a Long Cast or a Bail-less reel and both interest me, i don't think i'd mind the lack of a bail as it's one less part that can break due to salt/sand ingress; and I feel like any advantage to casting distance is a plus (why aren't long casts more common?).

So i have a few questions:

1) Why is there no Long Cast + Bail-less reel? Can I convert a Long-Cast into a bail-less long cast or will removing the bail allow for salt/sand ingress or throw off the balance of the reel when i crank it?

2) Can anyone with experience with the Long Cast version tell me how much difference it makes?

3) If the reel gets dunked or i crank it underwater, will it last? What parts are likely to rust/corrode and are they easily replaceable?

Also, it looks like the 6500+ size Spinfisher VI have upgraded internals (brass main gear, aluminum rotor). Is this still true for Long Cast 6500+ and bail-less 6500+?

On 12/14/2021 at 6:06 PM, Taako said:

3) If the reel gets dunked or i crank it underwater, will it last? What parts are likely to rust/corrode and are they easily replaceable?

i am usually fishing the bars at river mouths and it gets a little rough so my reels get dunked all day long. i try not to reel underwater, but i am sure i do accidentally sometimes. at the end of the day/night i pop the side plate and dump out water if any. on a spin v i would typically have a few drops. leave side plate off until next day so it can dry. when grease starts to look yucky service the reel. simple as that

as to will the reel last ? it is a lifetime reel if cared for. my first spin 5 must be about 8 years old now and is in perfect condition but it has been a back up to a torque 5 for about half that time. good luck

I’m not sure where you’re seeing the minimum drag on the slammer, but it’s next to nothing, just as every other reel is. 

long cast reels are great if you have a long cast rod. If not, there will only be a slight difference. 

It will 100% throw off the balance. 

the spinfisher can take some splashes, but if you feel it underwater you’re going to have massive water intrusion.