Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
MightyMouse

Preparing for Next Year

Rate this topic

13 posts in this topic

Ok, to pass the time away this winter, in addition to trying to build a couple of plugs, I'm gonna see if I can make a bunch of leaders/teaser rigs. Any reccomendations on what the best leader materials/hardware/snaps/etc would be? I plan to make some up for both heavy and light spinning gear, and I'm I'm good before Christmas, maybe a ditch/jetty outfit too smile.gif Thanks in advance for any advice. Info on preferred bait rigs would be helpful as well.

(bump)

OK, I guess now I'm just looking for ways that you guys attach teasers to your leaders.

Any info regarding loop knots (ok, so I'm a newby to these things icon15.gif ), swivels, snaps or anything else would greatly be appreciated.

For ease of use, I would prefer info regardin use of barrel swivels and ydroppers, but if you guys catch more with dropper loops, I'm certainly willing to listen.

MM,

i have tried a bunch of different methods of attaching teasers adn at this point i am not really comfortable with any of them. I like the idea of the dropper tied about 3'+ up from the snap, and the teaser attached loop to loop. but for some reason my droppers aren't that great when i tie em on this, and most likely its me but i cant figure it out because all the droppers on my tog rigs are fine even with the same leader material. i have been using an extra long tag end coming off a uni knot to barrel swivel and attaching that way but i dont like the way the teaser rides.i need to continue troubleshooting the dropper and it may be a step i do incorrectly or fatigued leader?!?

i also agree with billy tho, its too early to start thingking about next season, we are still prime down here.oh, i also dont pre-tie rigs, i carry swivels, snaps and leader material with me in my vest. i prefer to tie on the spot.

Ive tried three differnt ways and not sure which is best but Im sure which is strongest, the first is a dropper loop and a 24"-30" run to a duo-lock #54, this works good but Ive had good fish break the dropper (it may be my knot), second is to tie direct to the the bottom swivel along with a leader about 48" to 54" long, this separate leader can be 10" to 12", this works the best and is the strongest but if you dont want to use the teaser its a pain to take off and put back on. The 3rd way is the same as above except instead of tying to the swivel, you use a #55 duolock on the top of a 10" to 12" leader with your teaser at the bottom, this works ok but tends to wrap itself around your line more but you can change it easier. seems like it wraps around braid more than mono but that may be my opinion. Anyway, hope I didnt confuse you as much as I did me.

------------------

Keep using my name in vain, I'll make rush hour longer!! - God

I know it is MY dropper but i dont know WHAT about my dropper the problem is.

for a couple seasons i used exclusively the 10"+/- extra piece of leader(20-40lb fluoro) attached in addition to main leader(like highlander1) but i added a small duo-lock to the end to attach different teasers or just run without one. it caught a fair number of fish, nothin huge tho, but i never felt rite about the extra snap.

this season i have been using a uni knot with a 8" long tag that i make a loop in so the distance from swivel to tip of loop is about 4" to that i attach my teasers which ARE pre leadered(most of the go to ones anyway) and attach loop to loop, it has worked ok but again i am not convinced of it being the best way for the teaser to ride. but i havent had it fail.

its tough when i fish with Tim or others that exclusively use the dropper and obviously tie it rite and never have issues with it because i do like the way it presents the teaser, i just dont like the way my dropper breaks at inopportune times.

If you use 30# braid use 50# floro. 50# braid use 80# floro. The fish don't care. The loop will be stronger than the running line. The extra stiffness will help the teaser stand off.

For rockfish I don't understand the use of wimpy leader. I can list a half dozen advantages for having your leader be 50# or better. 20-40? One.

your abolutely rite plug but that one(im assuming line shyness ) on some nites on the beach makes a HUGE difference. i NEVER use a teaser in a boulder feild or an inlet(tip or otherwise) and 50-50 from the jetties. that was why teh 40lb max on my leader in that post. 50 or 60 is what i use in the sticky fun stuff!

Do you notice that much difference between 30 and 50 in floro? I have a buddy who chunks tuna. He says as long as he sticks with floro he notices no difference between 50 and 80. That's tuna in the daytime in offshore water. That doesn't sound right to me but even if it's remotely true I wonder how rock can tell the difference at night in relatively dirty, shoreline water.

i never noticed a difference before i started fishing with Tim wink.gif

ill bet its more mental than anything, but also some other things to consider, i use 20lb PP or 30lb whip on the beach. i am usually on the beach on the calmer nites with relatively clean water.i usually start with 40 and then go down from there.(on the sand.)i dont ever use 80 when bass fishing , on occassion ill break it out if big blues are around tho.

Thanks for the information guys. Yeah, it may be early to think about things like killing time in the winter months, but I'm stuck here at school so the season, with one possible exception, is basically over for me... of course unless any of you guys know a dark haired midget who can fill in for me during exams wink.gif