NYNistler

2022 Toyota Tundra

63 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, Callmefish said:

I just bought a hyundai santa cruz. 30 mpg highway 20 combined. Less then 40k out the door, and i do not regret my decision 

You're killin' me.  I'm all in on my 2001 Tacoma, 6 cyl, automatic.  I get about 18.5 mpg.for each tank refill.  Not bad really.  And the Taco is very reliable and just passed inspection through April 2023.  Still, I looked up the Santa Cruz.  Hmmm.  Interesting.  Way back in 1989 I bought my daughter a Hyundai ($5000), stick shift, for her college everyday driver.  It was a good car.  Now you have me thinking Hyundai, again.

2 hours ago, Fly By Nite said:

More than a couple hundred, but in the grand scheme of things (you're spending 80-90 grand) i agree the difference being fairly negligible between 60 and 72 months.  How badly do you need a new truck is the question..

20-30k in interest charges??  What kind of interest rate are you signing up for?  I've got 1.1% through my credit union on a 60 month. 

10 mins ago, playhard said:

You're killin' me.  I'm all in on my 2001 Tacoma, 6 cyl, automatic.  I get about 18.5 mpg.for each tank refill.  Not bad really.  And the Taco is very reliable and just passed inspection through April 2023.  Still, I looked up the Santa Cruz.  Hmmm.  Interesting.  Way back in 1989 I bought my daughter a Hyundai ($5000), stick shift, for her college everyday driver.  It was a good car.  Now you have me thinking Hyundai, again.

I’d definitely recommend a test drive man. 

the integrated bed cooler, bed power outlet, factory installed toneau cover, sun roof, AWD, 5+ year warranty, free oil changes, plus a ton of ither do dads are secondary.

it’s the size of a ridgeline but sits lower.

8 hours ago, NYNistler said:

Which Toyota are you basing your comments on, and what other vehicles are you comparing it to? It's probably safe to assume it is not the 2022 Tundra, which would pretty much make your comments irrelevant.

A 2021. And that’s compared to every other truck out there. Would your logic on relevance also not apply to Toyotas reputation and reliability? Using your logic how can you say a 2022 Tundra is more reliable than others. What exactly does reliability mean? I’ve never had a vehicle that wasn’t reliable. It’s because I take care of my vehicles. Each and every vehicle I’ve ever owned started and drove each and every time I needed them to. This includes fords, chevy’s, Chryslers, Oldsmobile, GMC, Nissan, Subaru, and Toyotas. My Toyota was no more or less reliable and my trucks routinely go over 200K  and run just fine when I unload them. 

I gave my honest opinion of Toyota. It may not be yours but it is my opinion. I would not buy a Toyota because, to me, they are cheap feeling with slow ass engines. For the record, if I were to buy a Toyota I would get the turbocharged engine but I would never consider a Tundra for a new truck. 

1 hour ago, Callmefish said:

Uhh tax? Thats goes against the loan which affect the interest paid, you need to tack in a few grand more

True, but, what you spend on tax is completely relative to where you live. That may be an added cost for many, but it's not a fixed cost. For me it still puts the $60K truck around $70K, not $80-$90K. That's still a considerable difference.

1 hour ago, Fly By Nite said:

I've never seen 2%...3 and higher is what i've come across most often.  Add in taxes, fees, and maintenance after the 36 month mark and you're right there.  

Why would you be adding the maintenance cost when talking loan price? 
Toyotas don’t need maintenance anyways. They never break. :laugh:

1 hour ago, poopdeck said:

A 2021. And that’s compared to every other truck out there. Would your logic on relevance also not apply to Toyotas reputation and reliability? Using your logic how can you say a 2022 Tundra is more reliable than others. What exactly does reliability mean? I’ve never had a vehicle that wasn’t reliable. It’s because I take care of my vehicles. Each and every vehicle I’ve ever owned started and drove each and every time I needed them to. This includes fords, chevy’s, Chryslers, Oldsmobile, GMC, Nissan, Subaru, and Toyotas. My Toyota was no more or less reliable and my trucks routinely go over 200K  and run just fine when I unload them. 

I gave my honest opinion of Toyota. It may not be yours but it is my opinion. I would not buy a Toyota because, to me, they are cheap feeling with slow ass engines. For the record, if I were to buy a Toyota I would get the turbocharged engine but I would never consider a Tundra for a new truck. 

:wave: Hey, you're certainly entitled to your opinion, and my logic on relevance very well could be wrong. Personally, I would never buy a 2021 either. I have a 2013, so why would I pay more money for a new truck that essentially is the same as my 2013, or even a 2008?  Up to the 2022, I agree with you, the Tundra probably was living on the past reputation to a certain extent. So, I wasn't attacking your opinion, I simply don't think your opinion of the 2021 is relevant to the conversation about a 2022. The truck has gone through a complete redesign/rebuild. So, no, I don't believe your personal assessment after test driving a 2021 is relevant to the question about the 2022, IMHO. Your other comments are simple misinterpretations of what I wrote. I never said a 2022 would be reliable, and I certainly didn't claim it would be more reliable that others.

Edited by NYNistler

5 hours ago, Callmefish said:

I’d definitely recommend a test drive man. 

the integrated bed cooler, bed power outlet, factory installed toneau cover, sun roof, AWD, 5+ year warranty, free oil changes, plus a ton of ither do dads are secondary.

it’s the size of a ridgeline but sits lower.

The Santa Cruz does seem pretty nice as a mini truck. TFL Truck has some good videos testing one. If gas keeps going up I’ll probably get one as a commuter and keep my Tacoma for real truck things. The Ford Maverick is also a contender for a commuter although I’m not a huge fan of Fords. What are you getting for real world mpg with the Santa Cruz?

Price will be the biggest con. Next will be new gen with bugs. It’s a Toyota but there are always some bugs. Also, the hybrid will not have lithium batteries for their for run. Maybe ok for a hybrid but is below standard. 

Im not sure if I like the rear integrated bumper look yet either. Seems ugly. 

9 hours ago, z-man said:

The Santa Cruz does seem pretty nice as a mini truck. TFL Truck has some good videos testing one. If gas keeps going up I’ll probably get one as a commuter and keep my Tacoma for real truck things. The Ford Maverick is also a contender for a commuter although I’m not a huge fan of Fords. What are you getting for real world mpg with the Santa Cruz?

Thise were real world quotes on milege. 30mpg long island higways. 20mpg brooklyn driving and longbisland highways. I was thinking maverick also but it doesn’t even compare.

As a side note, Toyota revealed EV concepts yesterday, including a Taco-sized truck. It will be interesting to see specs on that when they are released.

I’m sure the 2022 tundra is a completely amazing truck. The only sad thing about it is that you could get a 2021 SR5 model with 4x4 which is really all you need to get out on the beach for right around 35k.  That was a pretty awesome deal for a truck with a 5.7 motor, 4x4 and rock solid reliability. I’m not talking about the Covid markups some dealers were adding once trucks became scarce but generally you could buy a tundra new for that money for the last 3-4-5 years even though Ford and Chev were generally raising prices during that time and selling their 4x4 trucks for upwards of 45k and in many cases closer to 55k for the same kind of general package with half of the reliability. 

So, now, If you look on auto trader almost all of the 2022 tundras with 4x4 are listed for right around 58k or more. Ouch. That’s a pretty massive increase. And I’m not so sure those prices are going away even if the chip shortage and supply chain issues are resolved later on. 

Hybrid reliablity won't be an issue in anything Toyota...the deal breaker for me in anybody's lineup is a turbocharged aluminum engine. 42yrs in the automotive service field I can honestly say first hand aluminum turbo engines and longevity don't exist...I don't care who built it. And I'm a big Toyota fan in general.

On 12/13/2021 at 11:28 PM, CaryGreene said:

Not sure what the appeal of a Tundra is other than reliability. The motor hasn't been updated in a very long time. They get terrible gas mileage. The huge media screen is the only cool feature. Rated well below a RAM.

Car and Driver does a pretty good overview on each manufacturers offerings. Presently, there really isn't a compelling reason to buy a Toyota Tundra.

Not sure if this carries over to newer vehicles, but I've got an 06 with 250k on it and I'd dare say a ram/dodge with those same numbers where I am( NY) would not look or perform as well as my old Tundra. They tend to create a loyal following.