NYNistler

2022 Toyota Tundra

63 posts in this topic

I'm glad to see they are putting a different motor in it.   Should have done that years ago definitely makes it a contender in the new truck market for 2022

45 mins ago, Fly By Nite said:

i'm guessing the real life prices of the new Tundra will probably be closer to the 60k range and beyond. Pretty scary to think how much higher the finance terms will be with the prices of these trucks.  My  brother bought aV6 Dodge recently and did a 6 year finance which i thought was insanity. With Toyota, you absolutely will get less features and creature comforts for your money compared to the domestic trucks- but at a higher resale value at the end of the day. If you buy a new truck because you want to get the most quid back when you go to sell it, buying Toyota is a no-brainer for sure.

What’s wrong with a six year finance? If you plan on keeping the vehicle for a while then why not take lower payments each month? The interest rate on a new vehicle is pretty much the lowest of any loan you can get. 

55 mins ago, Slack Tidings said:

Once the go hybrid, they won’t last nearly as long.

Don’t disagree with you but Toyota does have 20 or so years in the Hybrid game starting with the Prius.  Toyotas hybrid engine has crossover into several models including the Lexus line.

2 hours ago, z-man said:

What’s wrong with a six year finance?

Well, considering what a new truck costs these days- maybe nothing. After 6 years you might be 90 grand in the hole and left with a 20k truck.   I simply don't like giving the bank a cent of my money on something that ultimately has 0 value.

Edited by Fly By Nite

14 mins ago, Fly By Nite said:

Well, considering what a new truck costs these days- maybe nothing. After 6 years you might be 90 grand in the hole and left with a 20k truck.   I simply don't like giving the bank a cent of my money on something that ultimately has 0 value.

The extra finance costs to extend from 5 to 6 years is minimal (hundreds of dollars) and all new vehicles depreciate in value. It is what it is. 

2 hours ago, z-man said:

The extra finance costs to extend from 5 to 6 years is minimal (hundreds of dollars) and all new vehicles depreciate in value. It is what it is. 

More than a couple hundred, but in the grand scheme of things (you're spending 80-90 grand) i agree the difference being fairly negligible between 60 and 72 months.  How badly do you need a new truck is the question..

7 hours ago, poopdeck said:

Who spends 50K plus on a new truck to drive on the beach? Not long ago I purchased a new vehicle. I’m not brand loyal so I checked every manufacturer out there. My conclusion is Toyotas feel cheap and their engine performance is the absolute worst. I feel they are living on past reputation. I’m sure every vehicle is going there with all the EPA BS coming but right now buying a Toyota is not even a consideration for me. 

Engine performance is the absolute worst?  What on earth are you talking about - the 3UZ-FE motor might be the most reliable gasoline engine ever built.  You ever sat in a Land Cruiser - cheap is not an adjective that comes to mind. 

I see 50k plus trucks up and down the beach all day long in Hatteras. 

49 mins ago, Fly By Nite said:

More than a couple hundred, but in the grand scheme of things (you're spending 80-90 grand) i agree the difference being fairly negligible between 60 and 72 months.  How badly do you need a new truck is the question..

How is a $50-60k truck ending up costing 80-90K? Financing does not cost that much. It’s around 2% interest rates for a new vehicle. 
Why does it matter if you need a new truck or not? Some people just like nice things. 

35 mins ago, animalbarrie said:

Engine performance is the absolute worst?  What on earth are you talking about - the 3UZ-FE motor might be the most reliable gasoline engine ever built.  You ever sat in a Land Cruiser - cheap is not an adjective that comes to mind. 

I see 50k plus trucks up and down the beach all day long in Hatteras. 

Years ago when I bought my Tacoma it only had 12 miles on it and I drove it on the beach 4 days later. I bought it to use it. 

1 hour ago, Fly By Nite said:

I ran quick numbers on a $60K truck, $0 down, and 2.49% interest.  The cost of interest over 72 months is about $4,700.  Same terms at 60 months is about $3,900 in interest.  So, the difference is around $800, and the actual cost of the vehicle with interest is between $64K and $65K, not $80-$90K. 

Your way of amortizing either calculates at an interest rate around 10% or more, or you are including other expenses that are irrelevant to the interest rate.

1 min ago, NYNistler said:

I ran quick numbers on a $60K truck, $0 down, and 2.49% interest.  The cost of interest over 72 months is about $4,700.  Same terms at 60 months is about $3,900 in interest.  So, the difference is around $800, and the actual cost of the vehicle with interest is between $64K and $65K, not $80-$90K. 

Your way of amortizing either calculates at an interest rate around 10% or more, or you are including other expenses that are irrelevant to the interest rate.

Uhh tax? Thats goes against the loan which affect the interest paid, you need to tack in a few grand more

32 mins ago, z-man said:

How is a $50-60k truck ending up costing 80-90K? Financing does not cost that much. It’s around 2% interest rates for a new vehicle. 
Why does it matter if you need a new truck or not? Some people just like nice things. 

I've never seen 2%...3 and higher is what i've come across most often.  Add in taxes, fees, and maintenance after the 36 month mark and you're right there.  

FWIW I traded my '05 Taco for a '21 Taco this spring. Only has the 4 cal engine but that's plenty for me. averaged about 25 mp coming up from the beach the other day.  very happy with it. only traded the '05 cause of 2nd case of frame rust