NYNistler

2022 Toyota Tundra

63 posts in this topic

Anyone looking at the new Tundras? I'm usually not the type to buy a new vehicle, but this one has me thinking. I'm currently in a 2013 Rock Warrior, and love it. What are you seeing as pros and cons in the 22s?

6 hours ago, NYNistler said:

Anyone looking at the new Tundras? I'm usually not the type to buy a new vehicle, but this one has me thinking. I'm currently in a 2013 Rock Warrior, and love it. What are you seeing as pros and cons in the 22s?

I want one but not until the more powerful hybrid engine is available.  My Tacoma just hit 200k in miles so I probably have a few more years to wait.   The prices look a little crazy too but at least the mpg is better.  

I want that turbo hybrid. I honestly couldn’t care about the turbo, but when I had AC work done on my taco they gave me a highlander hybrid and the gas mileage was insane. My taco gets **** gas mileage (granted, I have a cooler rack and a cap with a roof rack, but still) so that should be a nice upgrade. 

15 hours ago, wefish138 said:

I want that turbo hybrid. I honestly couldn’t care about the turbo, but when I had AC work done on my taco they gave me a highlander hybrid and the gas mileage was insane. My taco gets **** gas mileage (granted, I have a cooler rack and a cap with a roof rack, but still) so that should be a nice upgrade. 

I don’t believe much of what Toyota claims for fuel mileage. I highly doubt that adding a turbo six cylinder is suddenly going to increase mpg into the 20’s like they claim. People are getting like 13 mpg in the current Tundras. I get 17 mpg in my Tacoma if I’m lucky. How is a full size going to do way better than that?
What is the hybrid supposed to get for mpg? I haven’t seen the numbers posted yet. 

Not sure what the appeal of a Tundra is other than reliability. The motor hasn't been updated in a very long time. They get terrible gas mileage. The huge media screen is the only cool feature. Rated well below a RAM.

Car and Driver does a pretty good overview on each manufacturers offerings. Presently, there really isn't a compelling reason to buy a Toyota Tundra.

Edited by CaryGreene

35 mins ago, CaryGreene said:

Not sure what the appeal of a Tundra is other than reliability. The motor hasn't been updated in a very long time. They get terrible gas mileage. The huge media screen is the only cool feature. Rated well below a RAM.

Car and Driver does a pretty good overview on each manufacturers offerings. Presently, there really isn't a compelling reason to buy a Toyota Tundra.

It has two new engine options for 2022. That’s what we’re talking about. 

Who spends 50K plus on a new truck to drive on the beach? Not long ago I purchased a new vehicle. I’m not brand loyal so I checked every manufacturer out there. My conclusion is Toyotas feel cheap and their engine performance is the absolute worst. I feel they are living on past reputation. I’m sure every vehicle is going there with all the EPA BS coming but right now buying a Toyota is not even a consideration for me. 

31 mins ago, poopdeck said:

Who spends 50K plus on a new truck to drive on the beach? Not long ago I purchased a new vehicle. I’m not brand loyal so I checked every manufacturer out there. My conclusion is Toyotas feel cheap and their engine performance is the absolute worst. I feel they are living on past reputation. I’m sure every vehicle is going there with all the EPA BS coming but right now buying a Toyota is not even a consideration for me. 

Toyota's reliability is the best. No other manufacturers even come close except for Honda but they don’t make any real trucks. 

I will be looking at the hybrid option when it’s available.  Believe production starts in March 22.  I’m excited to buy a truck that will get gas in the 20s and last 30 years.  Can’t compare American trucks to Toyotas reliability.    

1 hour ago, poopdeck said:

I am also not brand loyal - driven Ford, Chevy, Toyota, Honda, Nissan, Jeep. In my experience, Toyota is no cheaper in build quality than the rest of the disposable automobiles any other manufacturers produce. The difference I've noticed is that most Toyotas are very reliable and last a long time. Plus, for those of us that comtemplate spending 50K on a truck, it would likely not be used exclusivelvy as a beach buggy. 

Which Toyota are you basing your comments on, and what other vehicles are you comparing it to? It's probably safe to assume it is not the 2022 Tundra, which would pretty much make your comments irrelevant.

Edited by NYNistler

1 hour ago, poopdeck said:

Me, if I were to buy a new truck. I try to fish every day, so I’m always loaded up and ready to go. It doesn’t make sense to have two vehicles where I would to go home, get  my beach truck, and then drive back to the beach. 

i'm guessing the real life prices of the new Tundra will probably be closer to the 60k range and beyond. Pretty scary to think how much higher the finance terms will be with the prices of these trucks.  My  brother bought aV6 Dodge recently and did a 6 year finance which i thought was insanity. With Toyota, you absolutely will get less features and creature comforts for your money compared to the domestic trucks- but at a higher resale value at the end of the day. If you buy a new truck because you want to get the most quid back when you go to sell it, buying Toyota is a no-brainer for sure.

Co-worker has the current tundra and will be getting a new one soon.

I'm excited for the new sequoia

37 mins ago, BWalsh said:

I will be looking at the hybrid option when it’s available.  Believe production starts in March 22.  I’m excited to buy a truck that will get gas in the 20s and last 30 years.  Can’t compare American trucks to Toyotas reliability.    

Once the go hybrid, they won’t last nearly as long.